Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to say although this is my first post, I've been checking out this site for a while. I think its great. I'm pursuing a 2001 z06 with 14k, great condition, silver/black. What is a reasonable price? I've checked the kelly blue book site, and for my area (eastern PA) they say around 36,000. Also is there anything I should look for, as far as problem areas with the z06. Thanks

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Welcome to digitalcorvettes! I am going to move your post to the C5 section so those genius's can have a look.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
RasKass2050 said:
First I'd like to say although this is my first post, I've been checking out this site for a while. I think its great. I'm pursuing a 2001 z06 with 14k, great condition, silver/black. What is a reasonable price? I've checked the kelly blue book site, and for my area (eastern PA) they say around 36,000. Also is there anything I should look for, as far as problem areas with the z06. Thanks
RasKass,

The '01s are great cars, but a lot of the first year Z06s and C5s consumed oil.
Forget KBB, I've tried to use them in the past, and they've been off by a few thousand dollars.

Look in ww.Autotrader.com and your local ads and see what they're going for in your area and around the country.

For 36K, you should be able to get an '02.

There is a guy named Zippy on corvettecation center that was selling a gorgeous '02 for 36K. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36382

There are many more like that one that are low miles and well cared for. With an '02, you'll still have some warranty left and 405hp 400 Ft/Lbs tqe!

Take your time, there are a lot of beautiful Z06s out there.

Best of luck.

Pedro

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'm getting pretty serious on this car now. He is asking 34,900 for the car. Is this reasonable, I haven't found anything near that for a z06 in my area. Is there another place beside carfax.com to get past info? The seller told me it was a lease vehicle. What kind of info can i expect on a vehicle report? Thanks.

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
5Point7Liter said:
I knwo someone that has an '01 and it burns oil. Thats pretty much the only thing I can think of to watch out for.

And Welcome!:buhbye:
not all 01's have this problem.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
RasKass2050 said:
The seller told me it was a lease vehicle. What kind of info can i expect on a vehicle report? Thanks.
Yes.

Is it a dealer? If it is, I'd definitely run a carfax.

The second thing to do is to go to a Chevrolet service department and ask them NICELY to run the VIN and have them print out the service history. This will also tell you about the previous owners. This is how I found out the history of my Grand Sport.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I have a 2001 Z06 and love it..

Problems to date were...

oil consumption covered under warranty
ABS system.
Fuel sending unit

For 35 grand..I think you should get an 02 Z06 not an 01.

I am totally satisfied with my decision to get a 2001 Z06 and GM very proactively fixed each issue under warranty..but for 35 grand..get the 2002 z06.

PS. I bought a GM extended GMPP warranty in the 34th month of in service for this car.

~1200 dollars for an additional 36 months and a total of 50Kmiles..Zero deductible. (FIcthner Chevy in montana)

I believe this warranty is a smart move and money well spent.

Good luck

JB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. Its kind of a dealer. He has a little car lot, 6 to 8 cars, just a weekend thing. It more like his collection. I checked the vin # with Autocheck.com and everything checked out. It listed as a lease car in 12/14/00 so I assume the warranty is done, can I still get the GM warranty after the 36 months? I've looked for 2002 in my area and there all in the high 30's to low 40's. I'm very specific with what I want and this is it. I still plan on taking it to a chevy dealer to have them look at the car. What can I expect to pay for this, I can be a sweet talker when I need to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D Hold out for an 02!

;) I bought an 01 when they 1st came out! Good car, no oil issues and it was traded in on an 04 after 50,000 miles. I purchased the GM extended warranty & used it! Still, I felt like GM screwed me. The 02 has + 20 hp. heads up display, and no pre-cats!

The 03 is the 1st year that the car is noticably faster than the 01 on a road course. The 04 seems to be packing even a few more ponies!

:cheers: Good Luck and buy the latest model that you can afford. Check with Ken Flicthner (sp?) and do get the extended warranty!!! Prices should be dropping now that new 04's are being sold at Dealers invoice with ZERO percent/or an additional 2 grand off!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trumperZ06, as you can probably tell this is my first vette, what went wrong with your 01 that you needed to use the warranty. I could spend more but want to keep my payments as low as possible so I don't feel as though i need the extra 20 hp. I've never had a car anywhere near 385 so i'm sure thats fine for me. the heads up display is not a big deal to me either. What is a pre-cat? Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't buy it without having it checked out thoroughly. Too many oil consumption stories. Not a good idea if it's your first
vette. Be patiant luke, use the force................:down:

·
Registered
98 Posts
RasKass2050 said:
trumperZ06, as you can probably tell this is my first vette, what went wrong with your 01 that you needed to use the warranty. I could spend more but want to keep my payments as low as possible so I don't feel as though i need the extra 20 hp. I've never had a car anywhere near 385 so i'm sure thats fine for me. the heads up display is not a big deal to me either. What is a pre-cat? Thanks
RasKass,

Food for thought as you ponder about your up-coming ZO6 purchase:

Please read the changes/improvements of an '02 over '01 ZO6.

Changes for the 2002 (&2003) model year include:

-Standard head-up display (HUD),
-Revised rear shock valving,
-New wheels are a tiny bit lighter made from cast aluminum, cast-spun aluminum alloy rather than the forged aluminum used in 01.
-New brake pads with improved fade resistance in aggressive driving situations.
-New aluminum front stabilizer bar links for 2002 Z06s (as well as all Coupes and Convertibles fitted with the optional Z51 suspension package)

To make the engine more powerful for 2002, engineers developed:

-New Camshaft: a higher-lift camshaft is used (it’s got the highest
valve lift of any camshaft ever installed in a production small-block V8),
-Hollow stem valves (less weight means less valve float at rev),
-Higher tension valve springs (more float prevention)
-New low restriction mass airflow sensor and
-New low restrictor air cleaner design
-Modified fuel and spark curves
-New piston rings: they used a higher tension oil ring and swapped the second compression piston ring to a ‘Napier ring’ – to solve the oil consumption problem
- New pistons: the new ones are coated with a special polymer. (To address a limited amount of complaints about "cold piston knock") These actually started in late 2001 production models.
-New exhaust system: The 2002 cat converter is a two-brick design, thus reducing flow restriction by eliminating the two ‘pup’ converters. The front brick uses palladium and the rear brick uses a platinum-rhodium combination. This new cat, along with some changes in PCM calibration, allows the LS6 to meet LEV without ‘pup’ cats and their exhaust back-pressure. There were other benefits, too. Going pupless also means less cost and a 5.5lb. weight reduction.
-For 2002, the transmission cooler case is constructed of lightweight cast aluminum, replacing the previous stainless steel design.

To handle the additional power, more improvements were needed:

- Better Clutch and pressure plate assembly: During development, using Z06s with the new prototype, ’02 LS6 engines, there were a few clutch failures due to the additional power. The extra 15 lb/ft. torque put enough additional stress on the clutch that GMPT decided to upgrade the pressure plate. Clamp load was increased seven percent. This was accomplished by a change in the self-adjusting system inside the pressure plate. The result is an increase in clutch pressure from 2315 lbs. to 2475 lbs. There is also an increase in pedal effort that was deemed acceptable for a high-performance application such as the Z06.

-Better Suspension: The Z06 uses the same double-wishbone suspension front and rear, but for 2002 it has:

-a larger front stabilizer bar,
-stiffer rear leaf spring and
-new camber settings, all calibrated for maximum control in high-speed operation.
-New rear shock valving provides a more controlled ride.

The hunt is just as much fun!!

Best of luck,

Pedro

·
Registered
995 Posts
RasKass2050, in my opinion KBB means nothing when it comes to certain vehicles. A Vette is one of them.

Check the following to get a good ballpark price.

www.autotrader.com

www.cars.com

www.carmax.com

www.ebaymotors.com

These sites should help with a ballpark price.

For every car I own, a warranty has saved me mucho bucks. Just something to think about...

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
zo6 purchase

I bought my 2000 vert on the internet thru vettefinders.com.( they recived a commission from the seller) I saved several thousand over local price, and since i bought it direct from the individual, (at least here in arizona) I saved the sales tax which amounted toan additional $2800 dollars.

All around, it was a good experience.

Dennis in Scottsdale

1 - 17 of 17 Posts