Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving serious thougt to getting a C5. My question is, do you think I should trade my 88 or try to sell it outright. Its a convertible, extra nice condition, 48K miles. Do you think I'll get enough for it if I do trade.??

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
You will NEVER get what you feel your car is worth. If you need to get out of it to get a C5, sell your current outright, screw what the dealer tells you about sales tax savings. From what I've seen this weekend in the magazine looking cars for sale mags (free ones at grocery stores) there are a glut of Vettes for sale right now or at least in the Chcago area.

Try figuring out what you might get by trying www.edmunds.com then follow the screen to used and they offer you an "appraisal" of what you might expect to get for your car outright and or at dealer. Check local papers for similar vehicles to check asking prices. Go to a dealer and play the game, see what they are willing to do. Be patient. If yoo list in paper for sale, start high by 1500-2000? you can always come down but you can't go up.

Good luck! Keep us advised.

You can also try www.cars.com and www.wwwheels.com for new and used by zip code.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm just now starting to look, so I've got lots of time to do the research. Not in any hurry. Just going to check all my options before I do anything. :)

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i really tried to keep my 89,but just couldn't,i still miss it,it would be a seriuos 10 second custom.....the C5 is a great car though.keep it if you can...just my feeling though...:buhbye:

·
Registered
90 Posts
You only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in allowance & the cost of the new car, thus you have to add the loss in sale tax when you sell your car to thr price of the new car.
Don

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don meyer said:
You only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in allowance & the cost of the new car, thus you have to add the loss in sale tax when you sell your car to thr price of the new car.
Don

Did'nt realize that, thanks. :)

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
If you trade in your car, they are just going to make you feel like crap after you see their offer (if you could call it that).

Sell it outright, the saddle up in yer C5. But, you might want to wait a bit ... folks will be dumping C5's left and right when the C6 comes out.

All depends on what kind of rush you are in.:D

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
:agree:
thats what nmy dad is thinking... he wants one! he misses his 77(sold it 20 years ago:laughing: ) I'd even wait to see what you think of the C6... maybe it will blow your socks off and that will be the way to go????:huh: keep your options open:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Keep the 88 also I will store it for you and I'm sure Patrick won't mind starting it up once and a while for you.:D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the good part Pat, I'm not in any hurry at all. I want to retire in a year and a half, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row now. Don't think buying a new one will hinder my retirement, but want to be sure before I make any moves.

I would'nt mind keeping my C4, but I already have four cars, not counting the t-bucket, so I'd probably have to buy an insurance company also. :laughing:

Best part is I have lots of people willing to store my 88 and even drive it once in a while for me, how good is that. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a tough choice. Either sell a car out right and get more for it, or trade it in for less. :huh: I always end up trading it in, it's alot less hassle.:cool:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
RamjetVette said:
I ended up giving my '87 to my daughter when I moved up to a C5. World of difference.:buhbye:

This is a smart man listen to him!!!(not the daughter part):laughing: :laughing:

·
Banned
591 Posts
I kept my old one.:cheers:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I would seriously consider some of the preowned Z06's for 35 grand..or a vert...

With the C6 rolling out..C5's are going out the door preowned for excellent money..

As far as what your corvettes worth to a dealer? Try and sell it yourself to see what your going to get in the real world..

If your buying new from a local dealer..and you have someone whose close to giving you what your asking for...on your present corvette..

For a hundred dollars most aujtomotive dealers will do " an in and out" at their dealership..that gives you..the buyer of a new car or maybe even a preowned car...the tax benefit of selling your original corvette to another buyer through their dealership.

All I'm really saying..if sell your ride yourself..and process the sales paperwork through the car dealership your buying a corvette from....give the dealer a hundred dollars for doing the paperwork..and believe it or not..quite often the dealerships even offer financing for your found buyer of your C4..

you get the needed tax benefit..if its important..

Whats the value of your car might not make this worth your time..

Are you looking for 10 grand? or more?

Sounds like you have a great corvette! Don't bother with the C5!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts