Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going Sept 24th to discuss having my 2001 Z06 wrapped. Here is my question i intend to have the color changed from black to atomic orange. I live in NY do i have to have the title color changed? Being that the wrap is not permanent i figured no title change was necessary. Anyone out there know for sure? I asked the DMV here they said they had no idea!!!!

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
You mean the DMV didn't know the answer??? Shocker!:laughing:

Good luck in tracking down the answer and be sure to post pics of the wrapping process and the final result!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cool! I would'nt think you need to change tilte because the wrap is considered temporary.. I would love to see some pic when your done! Post them up!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
what do you mean by wrapped?

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
I am going Sept 24th to discuss having my 2001 Z06 wrapped. Here is my question i intend to have the color changed from black to atomic orange. I live in NY do i have to have the title color changed? Being that the wrap is not permanent i figured no title change was necessary. Anyone out there know for sure? I asked the DMV here they said they had no idea!!!!
It will look like crap. Have you ever seen up close how shitty wrapped cars look?

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
[/LIST]

Patrick look at these cars and tell me they look like crap. I think NOT

http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwraps

ENJOY SOME BEAUTIFUL LOOKING CARS AND TRUCKS
Go look at them in person. I could show you a picture of my mom and she'd also look great at that distance. :laughing:

I've seen hundreds of wrapped vehicles and here are the easy conclusions:

1. It looks nothing like paint, more like a dull decal.
2. You will have cut marks, seems and it will peel.
3. When you pull up next to a real Atomic Orange Corvette, you will lower your head in shame once you see them side by side.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
I really do not know but from what i have been told anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours depending on the size of the car being wrapped
Dude get a paint job from someone who knows how to paint. Come over to my place I will iron the wrap for you free. :WTF

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go look at them in person. I could show you a picture of my mom and she'd also look great at that distance. :laughing:

I've seen hundreds of wrapped vehicles and here are the easy conclusions:

1. It looks nothing like paint, more like a dull decal.
2. You will have cut marks, seems and it will peel.
3. When you pull up next to a real Atomic Orange Corvette, you will lower your head in shame once you see them side by side.
Patrick you are entiteled to your opinion i have seen about 10 cars that were done by the shop i am going to and all i will say is :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Patrick you are entiteled to your opinion i have seen about 10 cars that were done by the shop i am going to and all i will say is :thumbsup:
I have seen wrapped cars after being exposed to the elements, it ain't sexy. :thumbsup:

Let us know down the road if you still feel the same. :cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Locomotion,

I'm in law enforcement in New York, and I'm not sure if there is a Vehicle Traffic Law that pertains to car wraps. Personally, if I am running plate numbers through the lap top in my cruiser and the computer shows a different color than what you have, I would pull you over and ask for your license, reggie, and proof of insurance. I would compare your paperwork to the VIN plate as well as other obscure locations that your VIN numbers are located. Basically, I would verify that your car is not stolen. No tickets, no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Locomotion,

I'm in law enforcement in New York, and I'm not sure if there is a Vehicle Traffic Law that pertains to car wraps. Personally, if I am running plate numbers through the lap top in my cruiser and the computer shows a different color than what you have, I would pull you over and ask for your license, reggie, and proof of insurance. I would compare your paperwork to the VIN plate as well as other obscure locations that your VIN numbers are located. Basically, I would verify that your car is not stolen. No tickets, no harm, no foul.
Thanks for your info i now feel very comfortable about changing the color. I really was shocked DMV could not give me an answer but what ever you have put my mind at ease:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Hey Locomotion,

BINGO.

That's exactly what I was going to post. Don't get pissed at the LEO's if they start pulling you over because that color change is a bid red flag for stolen plates and thus, a stolen car. I'd file the color change with DMV to avoid all that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have seen wrapped cars after being exposed to the elements, it ain't sexy. :thumbsup:

Let us know down the road if you still feel the same. :cheers:
Fluffy first of all this car is garaged second it never sees snow or rain and if it is outside it is covered. The vinyl that is being applied has a life expediency of 5 to 10 years being exposed to the elements. This car has not be exposed to any harmful elements since i have owned it and it will remain that way after it is wrapped:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
BINGO.

That's exactly what I was going to post. Don't get pissed at the LEO's if they start pulling you over because that color change is a bid red flag for stolen plates and thus, a stolen car. I'd file the color change with DMV to avoid all that.

I am so glad that Texas doesn't track things like that.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Fluffy first of all this car is garaged second it never sees snow or rain and if it is outside it is covered. The vinyl that is being applied has a life expediency of 5 to 10 years being exposed to the elements. This car has not be exposed to any harmful elements since i have owned it and it will remain that way after it is wrapped:thumbsup:
In that case you should be good, I'm pretty sure with me it wouldn't fly long. :laughing:

I would be very careful with "life expectancy of 5 to 10 years" is it in writing with a guarantee?

Plastic deteriorates big time when exposed to U.V. even though we have come a long way, the sun is a killer.

My only point is to avoid you being scammed, I hope you enjoy the job :thumbsup:

a++ Cedric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts