Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But is there anyone who makes tire chains for a vett. I'm looking to drive across country and I may need some chains. or wire chains for the drive through the mountains. I haven't been able to find any.
Thanks

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Dave K said:
But is there anyone who makes tire chains for a vett. I'm looking to drive across country and I may need some chains. or wire chains for the drive through the mountains. I haven't been able to find any.
Thanks
:surprised

Normally I am not a smartass, but if you plan on driving somewhere in your Corvette where you think you might need chains, you shouldn't be bringing a Corvette. Seriously!

A C4 with a good all season tire like the BFG G-force KDWS should be fine for reasonable snowfall.

A cross country drive sounds fun, what is the route you have chosen?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I don't know much about snow but if it needs chains would the car have a problem with ground clearance?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I think if you need chains,then the front spoiler will be pushing snow up the front,like a snow plow,into radiator,etc...What kind of intake/air filter do you have?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
First time I've ever read about someone looking for tire chains on a Vette......I live in Hawaii so I'm basically useless on this topic!:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i say chains i dont mean the chains you all are thinking. There are wire chains now. And that is what i'm talking about. I agree they may not be neccesary with snow tires. But on route 80 from california to nevada chains are required when it snows. The roads are usualy clear enough to drive on. But because of the mountains they require chains some times. The wire chains would be very tight to the tire and would only be about a 1/4 of an inch high. Again i know you all may think I'm crazy but i'm driving from sacramento to delaware. And I just want to be prepared. I would rather drive route 80 then waste time driving south then north again around the mountains. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I used to go up 50 to lake tahoe,i lived in El Dorado Hills for a couple years.I trashed a ford maverick with the old style chains,and ended up turning around anyway.:laughing: DOH.. When you get about half way up the summit,you can look down this one canyon and see the pile of cars that have crashed,i think they clear them out every summer by helicopter.
I would think even with chains,a vette has enough torque to spin the tires,could be dangerous.It's your car though.:buhbye:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
There is a corvette in Delaware, Ohio you might be interested in..... there is a C4 body on a Jeep CJ frame with big tires on it!!
Just kidding
Do you have to have chains???? i'd think studded snow tires would be safer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i may not need chains. But the highway patrol may requite it if its snowing. I found some at tirechains.com
they make some for lowprofile tires. They are cables instead of chains. And they fit realy tight. Though now I'm leaning towards not even driving. Or if I do i will drive south first.
Thanks for all your posts. I would probably be the first vette owner to put cables on. So I would rather not be that guy.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you do a burn out with those on, does that make you a "chain smoker"?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Dave K said:
Thanks for all your posts. I would probably be the first vette owner to put cables on. So I would rather not be that guy.
Agreed. If one of those chains breaks even at 15 mph it will badly whip the body of your car until you stop.:(

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you flexible?

I have made the trip from LA to the midwest many times, not in a vette, but with many cars. In the winter several times. I have taken both north and south routes. Both have mountains that can get you in trouble. What I have always done is watch the weather and make my move at the opportune time weather wise. Snow does not stay on the interstates long. The problem would only come if you chose to travel when it is snowing. A day or two before or after a storm will make the difference. Of course, I am stopping in Indiana. I make that trip in 35 to 36 hours. no hotels, only stopping for gas (all other needs revolve around gas stops)and that is being fairly legal on speed. so if you can handle it, pick your window and go for it with good safe regular tires. this calls for being flexible on your leave time. I would not hesitate to make the trip my way with my current vette if I needed to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts