Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. Why is it that you don't want to drive your cars? I'm not talking about guys who live where it snows 9 months out of the year so you're confined to 3 months of driving, I'm talking about guys who purposely do not drive your cars. I'm strictly interested in Corvettes, from the C3 to the C6.

Let me into your mindset and give me your opinions.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
What do you consider low mileage and/or purposely not driving.
My car is fairly low mileage for a 22 year old car, 65,000. I drive it mainly on the weekends. Before I retired I drove my pickup to work mostly because of the dirty environment, lots of truck traffic and dirt flying everywhere. Now that I'm retired I still do my running around in my pickup and drive my vette for pleasure.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
When I'm not working it only has two seats and I have a family of 4. When I'm at work, it's hard to pull a trailer or load lumber into the Vette. So it sits more than I'd like it to but I can afford for it to sit so I drive it when I can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 88 35th Anniversary Edition, bought it with 48,000 miles on it. I'm too busy with work, the house and the family so I don't get to drive it as much as I would like. The vette is in near mint condition and I'd like to keep it that way too. But I do admire it daily when I have to go in the garage for something, I'll stop and stare at my vette.:D

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you consider low mileage and/or purposely not driving.
My car is fairly low mileage for a 22 year old car, 65,000. I drive it mainly on the weekends. Before I retired I drove my pickup to work mostly because of the dirty environment, lots of truck traffic and dirt flying everywhere. Now that I'm retired I still do my running around in my pickup and drive my vette for pleasure.
Yea, that's low mileage. I'm wanting to hear from those who purposely don't drive their cars. I'd like to know their mindset, if there is a reason for their mindset. I'm not criticizing, just curious.

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
I have an 86' with 55,000 on it, that sleeps in it's warm garage. I wish I could drive it more, but with a family of 4 and the youngest is 15 months, it's not going to happen. Unfortunately even if it was a c5 or c6, it wouldn't change anything. Now let me go, I have to shovel the snow outside.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 86' with 55,000 on it, that sleeps in it's warm garage. I wish I could drive it more, but with a family of 4 and the youngest is 15 months, it's not going to happen. Unfortunately even if it was a c5 or c6, it wouldn't change anything. Now let me go, I have to shovel the snow outside.
:laughing:

·
DC Crew
9,475 Posts
When I bought my car it had approximately 12000 miles on it and it was 9 years old. It now is 18 years old and has 60000 miles on it.

It's a weekend and evening driver, I have driven it to work at times but parking is an issue.

It's been in the rain and twice in snow.

I usually uncover it in mid March and drive it until late November ( I push the limits that's why I got caught in the snow!!).

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
I bought the car 3 yrs ago with 50k. I've put 20k on since then. I usually don't drive it to work since the parking lot got torn up 1 yr ago.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
what about those of us with over 230K?? are we in the right mind set??:partyon:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I bought my '95 with just over 48k on it in late February of 2006, and it now has just under 73k on it, so I've been averaging about 5000 miles/year. I haven't driven it since November, and I usually wait until the second rain to bring it out in the Spring (salt crap on Norther Illinois roads).

To put this in perspective, consider my daily driver. I bought a 2004 Blazer in July 2004, and after 78 fun filled months (or 6.5 years) of ownership, I have about 36,000 miles on it.

My drive to work in the Blazer is less than a mile, but the drive to work in the Vette (good days, when my schedule is light, and I can sneak in a little later, and leave a little earlier, or maybe get away for lunch) is about 15 miles (cause the route is different!).

So, my paltry mileage (compared to yours) is just a function of where I live, and a reflection of time available. I have no particular desire to preserve the car - it isn't unusual, nor does it have any significance to anyone other than me - I just can't spend as much time in it as I want to!

Steven

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I bought my 91 June 09 and it had 136k on it, now it has 138k on it. Since coming to Qatar in late 08, I have only been home for 30 days and my mother takes care of that one along with my 2 other cars. She tells me they drive nice... :smack

·
Registered
90 Posts
With 2 kids in college, a mortgage, car payments on 3 vehicles (not including the Vette) money can be tight. My Corvette is the shining star of my meager possesions and as such, well cared for. I put about 2k miles on it a year (has 73k total) going to cruise-ins, Sunday drives, etc. The wife doesn't really understand the relationship a guy can have with his car, so I get alot of eye rolling when discussing upgrading my exhaust system and such. It's a hobby car, not a daily driver so mileage is low. The time I lavish on detailing, upgrading, etc. is probably more than the time I take to drive it!:crazy: Ya gotta love the Corvette brotherhood.:cheers:

·
I'm related so I get a title.
212 Posts
I bought my 94 with 68k on it. I have put 3k in two years. I travel alot for work and where I go is not the best place to take a vette so I drive my truck. Anyway, it's always nice to see the smile and appreciation on someones face when they hear it's a 94 with 71k miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought my 1990 in June of 2008. It had 129k when I bought it. Has been sitting since Funfest. Now just short of 140k. Love to drive it runs great !!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
to indy

i have a 86 with only 60 thou kilometers,thats 40 thou miles for you folks south of the border.its completly original and has nothing changed except the fluids.the spark plugs are still original.It was one of the drivers cars at the first toronto indy that were used by the drivers to drive around the course and see the course,it was Jacque Villnevues car.It is mint and want to keep it that way.Its a one owner car.Its the car that has the stuck key in the ignition on this same forum.take care all and have a great day.pilot1955

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello

i have an 88 vette. with 64k miles on it... we got it with 57ish.. its a street/strip car. runs low 10/s constantly and is driveable on the street but is way to espensive in gas to drive alot

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
The wifes '84 has 53,000 miles on it, had 43,000 when she bought it 9 years ago. The original owner needed money for a cottage he was building. My buddy and I wet sanded and repainted the whole car 7 years ago, I have spend the last few winters polishing all the aluminum suspension parts (by hand no power tools) so the car looks brand new inside and out. The only non original part is the carpeting. Had to replace due to fade. We take it to shows, go out on Friday nights (date night) and club cruises. She always catches crap from her fellow employees if she takes it to work so it sits more than I would like but I pamper it almost every weekend (some kind of detailing) and the occasional KMART tune up if you get my drift :D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
1993 54k miles

Its expenive to maintain... I dont trust other drivers, and is not my daily driver :D So I drive it when Im in the mood to go fast not when I need to move from point A to point B :D

Plus Im not as talented as you junkman... I cant keep my paint in as such good condition! Wish you lived closer! You could detail my car a couple times a month in the spring - fall months! :partyon::rolling:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts