Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a look over there and saw some pretty poor answers to common questions. Some of the threads I read were on:
Rotor runout issues
Steering box adjustment
Replacing rear caliper brackets.

Most of the info given is bad, if you go there maybe you should direct those guys over here. I would have liked to help those guys out but I'm banned over there. I'm very surprised at the level I see there now?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
How can someone mess up advice on replacement of rear caliper brackets?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Like the guy that going to heat up his hubs to try and do some "hot riveting". :rolling:

The advice was bad...the rotors from Car Quest which I was advised to purchase did not have the rivet holes. I'm not bashing anyone...I'm stating facts and offering an objective suggestion that corvette owners in this area steer clear of the shops which have damaged my vehicle. It's the responsible thing to do. If a corvette forum member discovers a shop which damages their vehicle and does nothing about it, then that member has a responsibility to make that known to other members; otherwise, more corvettes will be damaged.

Napa is a parts store which pushes Mopar...good place to find parts for that daily driver (and you like Mopar which I personally don't, but that's a personal choice), but not the store of choice if you want to restore a Corvette . I did manage to find the correct rotors at Autozone...the parts store where I keep finding exactly what I need for my corvette. I ordered the lug studs from them as well, but they may not be exactly what I need. I just ordered the rivets from Zip. And, I left a voice message with Andrew over at Muskegon where I hope to find new hubs...and see what he has for studs, rivets, & rotors while I'm at it...with tolerances what they are for the studs & rivets it's a good idea to get everything from one supplier.

Update: I spoke to Andrew and there is indeed a supplier of new hubs! I ordered them and will post my analysis. The hubs also come with races and bearings installed which is totally awesome...I'll need to pop the rear bearings out in order to heat the hubs up for lug stud and rivet installation, but they will go right back in when I get the hubs attached to the rotors. The new hubs also do not have the rivet holes, but that's not a big deal...I'll have to get a drill press, but it's something that I've needed for a long time.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't meant as a CF bash but rather an opportunity to get word out to the new owners some of the advice is plain wrong.

Granted I haven't been there in a while, maybe this is isolated?
I read where someone wanted advice on the bracket and was told it's not a big deal in fact it is and the spindle must come out,wrecking the bearings in the process.

Another guy, who is about 5 miles from me, has been asking how to setup rear bearings after taking them apart a dozen times.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
We try to keep bogus info off the forum here at DC, and that has created some heated arguments as to what is correct, But these arguments should alert the members as to the quality of the info and it should be verified before jumping in head first.

We take pride in the quality of the info put out on our forum, and hope any bad info will be brought to our attention...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm not banned, just self-imposed permanent leave. I still read and p/m...but the mods over there bite. I'm surprised there are still some gurus over there...it's like a friggen playground. I got tired of the bickering.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again this isn't a bash but if it turns into one, then pull it.

I keep saying I'm not surprised at some of the things I see or read but I keep seeing things stated that should not be.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I read where someone wanted advice on the bracket and was told it's not a big deal in fact it is and the spindle must come out,wrecking the bearings in the process.

Yeah I was thinking that. I thought that bracket could only be replaced when the trailing arm was properly disassembled and rebuilt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I go to different sites for different things.

CF has so much traffic, it's impossible to see many threads.
I usually log one a couple times a day and only look at one or two pages of new posts for something that catches my eye.
I have to say, there is always something going on.

If I have a problem, I may do a search over there just to get a consensus. I will then come here and then to CAC to try and find better presented info.

I would never just follow advice from one person if I didn't know exactly what I was doing. It's best to get several points of view before tearing into something you've never done before.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The moderators over on CF must monitor sandbox at day care as thier full time job. I got banned :buhbye:for life sticking up for lars on his second ban.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The moderators over on CF must monitor sandbox at day care as thier full time job. I got banned :buhbye:for life sticking up for lars on his second ban.

I'm very surprised they would ban you. I know you and I don't see eye to eye, but I certainly think them banning you is a huge mistake. You don't antagonize or start ****, you speak your mind, and contribute where you can. That's the blueprint for how forum members should act.

Don't even get me started on them banning guys like Gary and Lars. That just makes me sick.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's the blueprint for how forum members should act.
Don't even get me started on them banning guys like Gary and Lars. That just makes me sick.
:agree:
We'd all like to see at least decent and solid advise given out there. But there's just those places in life that go their own way, doing their own thing, that are out of anyone's control.
I've been on forums almost as long as they've been out there. I left CF on my own accord years before they started banning good people. I could see it coming, I guess. The mods left me alone, but there were rat packs that just bashed almost everything.
It was starting to remind me of the land of politicians! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I just took a look over there and saw some pretty poor answers to common questions. Some of the threads I read were on:
Rotor runout issues
Steering box adjustment
Replacing rear caliper brackets.

Most of the info given is bad, if you go there maybe you should direct those guys over here. I would have liked to help those guys out but I'm banned over there. I'm very surprised at the level I see there now?
This has been going on for quite some time. The weird thing is some of the bad info is about well known issues like the EOP sensor or stripped headlight gears. I saw a thread go 2 pages before someone gave the guy the correct advice. If the person asking the question is new there, I just point them to the answer over here via PM.

With all the knowledgeable people who use to post there, I'm very surprised to see this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I still read a few things over there, but pretty much reserve my information for folks that listen and appreciate it. The downside to most of the internet is now everyone is an expert and they will argue against you and your info to no avail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gary - you are right - it has deteriorated over the past few years. There are still a bunch of good people over there but there are also those that feel they have to post to every question whether they know the answer on NOT! I have done a lot with my 3 Vettes over the years and tire of people telling me I am wrong or it can't be done that way.

Again - there are a bunch of good people there but too many Noobs that don't know Jack.

It is nice to just read great comments and no bashing.

Yo Gary - steering box is great!!!

John

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We try to keep bogus info off the forum here at DC, and that has created some heated arguments as to what is correct, But these arguments should alert the members as to the quality of the info and it should be verified before jumping in head first.

We take pride in the quality of the info put out on our forum, and hope any bad info will be brought to our attention...:thumbsup:
:agree:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another great reminder why I never become a "life member" of anything.

If you disagree, please feel free to upgrade your membership now.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts