Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I'm contemplating.

Either a used 2009 model Z06 with 2K miles or less for around $60-65K.

Or buying a 2008 with around 30-40K miles for about $30K. I would then add a supercharger, wide body kit and other mod goodies for around $20K (doing the work myself).

thoughts?

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll retain the GM warranty on the stock Z06... not that it will stop them from trying to weasel out of any repairs.
aren't they 3/36? i'd really only get 12-18 months of warranty on a $60 k car? assuming the 09 went into service late 08.

Or I change to 07 for around $25K. Realize I'm taking on the risk of breaks but I'd also not be paying for a car several years out of warranty. And since I can do the work myself upgrading to Z06 brakes, swaybars/shocks is easy,

· Registered
16,115 Posts
It depends on what you want. If you want to go to the track, the Z06 will get you there easier than modding a C6. If you just want a high hp cruiser the C6 is probably a better way to go.

Top will come off a C6 and the GS has made wide body kits much cheaper.

Decide what you are going to use the car for then make the decision.

:cheers:

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true, you absolutely could and you will save money. But keep in mind a Z06 isn't a C6 coupe with a wide-body kit and upgraded brakes and a different sway bar...

Jeez, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.
other than the engine and suspension upgrades (plus the solid roof) what makes the z06 so diff from a regular C6?

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It depends on what you want. If you want to go to the track, the Z06 will get you there easier than modding a C6. If you just want a high hp cruiser the C6 is probably a better way to go.

Top will come off a C6 and the GS has made wide body kits much cheaper.

Decide what you are going to use the car for then make the decision.

heres my true comparison-- mid-high miles C6 rode hard but not wrecked pull the engine freshen things up and add supercharger for 600easy ponies. upgrade suspension and brakes, wide body kit and custom paint, reskin seats and freshen up interior where needed. Figuring I'll have a fully custom vette for around $50k in parts with my labor.

Probably won't see a driving track-- maybe a drag strip

· Registered
653 Posts

· Registered
16,115 Posts
other than the engine and suspension upgrades (plus the solid roof) what makes the z06 so diff from a regular C6?
It has:
- Stronger Drive Train
- Lower Center of Gravity
- Different Suspension Geometry
- Aluminum Frame
- Dry Sump Oiler
- Better fluid cooling

Enough parts where you would spend more duplicating the car than buying a Z06.

· Registered
6,068 Posts

Badges.:D:laughing::rolling:

BTW...get the Z. And I think you can do better than the price you mentioned. Plus, the warranty should be 5 yrs/100K if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and did I forget to mention the Z06 has a 427?;)

· Registered
16,115 Posts

· Registered
16,115 Posts
:WTF and it rides like a big truck, don't forget that.
I might say it rides like a race car. A good set of shocks makes a big difference. Changing to Konis made my Z51 ride smoother, eliminated wheel hop and improved handling.

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has:
- Stronger Drive Train
- Lower Center of Gravity
- Different Suspension Geometry
- Aluminum Frame
- Dry Sump Oiler
- Better fluid cooling

Enough parts where you would spend more duplicating the car than buying a Z06.

Sorry not wanting to sound like I'm not interested in advice just really wanting to get the truth of the real differnces and cost/benefits of differences.

They used a different manual trans and other shafts??? sure the clutch disks are different

Is geometry locked by extensive frame diferences or are they bolt on and adjustable changes based on modified parts? For instance I lowered my current C4 and modded the suspension for very little $$ (even when it was still of a relevant age)

427 isn't important- broad power band is and achievable through supercharged and designed 6.3. dry sump is good for lowering and high rpm engines but 2 inches on a street car won't matter that much and how often do we really see above 5000 RPMs?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.