Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order a new cam to stuff in my base 81 before I put all the engine periferals and front end back together. Easier now than later and I want a little more out it than I had. This is the cam kit I am looking at.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-CL12-242-2&autoview=sku
This is temporary, once the car is all back together and on the road I will do a full engine rebuild with a roller conversion kit, more aggressive cam and AFR heads. For now, I am keeping the stock carb, computer, dizzy and adding an Air Gap manifold. I have removed most of the smog stuff and adding headers and true duals, no cat

thoughts?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Danny,
If your going to do it over later, don't over cam it with that computer stuff. Just put in a GM151, and be done with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know that cam, not planning on going nuts. The other guys are recommending a summit 1103.
I just want to give it a bit more snap once its running while I finish the body work and paint and all that. The last piece will be the engine

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Danny,
If your going to do it over later, don't over cam it with that computer stuff. Just put in a GM151, and be done with it.
:agree:

Just about everything over a base cam is going to cost more. If you go too much more you'll need springs too. A cam and a set of lifters can be inexpensive. Then add a set of springs and the price goes up. And unless you are really good (or lucky), the new and final choice of cams will require different springs. My past experiences tell me to use matched sets from whatever manufacturer. Cam, lifters and springs all designed to work together instead of just selecting parts based on what's in the "recommended" column in the catalog.

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
ITS $100 CHEAPER BECAUSE its JUST the cam , the crane deal INCLUDES THE LIFTERS, and its a better made cam, not a generic

compare apples to apples

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-1103&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-114132&autoview=sku

add the lifters to make it a compareable deal,

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-812-16

personally ID think it foolish to NOT go with a match set with better quality parts for that differance, especially since youll have BOTH summit and CRANE CAMS, as potential warranty sources vs only summit if it screws up

and your only at about $28 differance

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
My thoughts

The cam Grumpy selected shows computer compatable.
The one Danny and you selected shows non-computer compatable.

16 lifters for $10? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.Taiwan/China/Yugoslavia

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My thoughts

The cam Grumpy selected shows computer compatable.
The one Danny and you selected shows non-computer compatable.

16 lifters for $10? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.Taiwan/China/Yugoslavia

My 2 cents

China.... that's where all this stuff comes from, incl name brand stuff. You don't think a camshaft/lifter kit for $200 is made here in the US ????

Danny said he's removing his smog stuff and installs dual exhaust with headers, didn't think the cam has to be computer or emission compatible....

I told him yesterday that I would just stick the old one back in that block and call it good until he's rebuilding the engine with roller cam and better heads.... safes him some money and the aggrevation of a cam break-in....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
China.... that's where all this stuff comes from, incl name brand stuff. You don't think a camshaft/lifter kit for $200 is made here in the US ????

Danny said he's removing his smog stuff and installs dual exhaust with headers, didn't think the cam has to be computer or emission compatible....

I told him yesterday that I would just stick the old one back in that block and call it good until he's rebuilding the engine with roller cam and better heads.... safes him some money and the aggrevation of a cam break-in....
Danny is keeping the computer carb/dizzy/ecm. Don't ask me why. If Ca. law let me, that crap would be gone. Hello 502.:rolling:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so today I drop the hammer on this order:

I am concidering the GMPP cam Grumpy suggests. Looking at everything I see in here, it seems that although the Summit package is cheaper it is sortof unknown parts. Summits Crane Cam is more in the line with the GMPP cam pricewise. The GMPP cam will run well with my stock heads and pistons? Final comments?

It looks like either way I will need a new distributor gear corect?

EDIT: I see BB recommended the GMPP and Grumpy sez Crane, and BB agrees...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Order placed for Crane Cam kit, Endurashine Edlebrock Air Gap intake, one piece oil pan gasket and 2 piece timing chain cover kit.

Ouch

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A jig saw will make the intake fit.

I tried that 2 part timing cover thing in my younger days. Would have been great if it hadn't leaked. Good luck.

And good choice on the cam too.

:cheers:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Air gap? Have you checked your hood clearance for that Danny?
Nope, but there is an L88 hood in the plans. Imagine the surprise and disapointment when I have to tell the GF, "Honey, guess what, my hood won't fit now, I guess I have to get a different one"

think it will fly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts