Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With weight reduction of removing all the wiper door and mechanism, and the BB hood.

Plus the addion of the supercharged 383 power plant.

Then the addition of the longer 74 low profile hood.

Left my air cleaner on the out side of my hood.

I wanted cold air induction and to stay as stealth as I could.

Here is the build and my first adventure in fiberglossing...

As I said I stated with a 74 hood and ordered a 2" cowl scoop from Jeg'S.

All cutting was completed with a rotozip tool.

I then trimmed and added the scoop.

I cut the scoop to shape and used fiberglass cloth and resin to form it to the hood.

After several mistakes, a few yards of fiberglass cloth, hours of sanding, here is what I have at this point.

As you can see the carb draws air from the cavity formed by the scoop back threw the air cleaner located at the rear. It in-turn draws cool air from the cavity in front of the windshield where the wipers are located.

And this is what we end up with for now.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

That pretty much wraps up my winter work here for now. I'm off to Vettecops house on the gulf in Mississippi for a couple of weeks and then on to Phoenix and Bondurant to get my SCCA racing license, my first track day with this car I hope will be early spring at Topeka at Superiors Chevrolet's spring track day.

Hint Hint ... Andrew :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ivan i really like what you have done :cheers: it looks good,BUT,i think your setup is too restrictive for the supercharger,especially the filter you have on it.at lease go with a less restrictive filter,K&N maybe, paper elements are more restrictive.The blower would have worked best with a ram air setup.Again i do like what you did. Bill
I also donot use the paper filter that came with my scoop because of restriction,i eliminated the inside round filter and just run foam filter element in front.Works alot better.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ivan I really like all the work you did.

I'm hoping this summer I can get down 70 and stop in for a visit and see everything you've done.

Your lateral thinking is commendable.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ivan i really like what you have done :cheers: it looks good,BUT,i think your setup is too restrictive for the supercharger,especially the filter you have on it.at lease go with a less restrictive filter,K&N maybe, paper elements are more restrictive.The blower would have worked best with a ram air setup.Again i do like what you did. Bill
I also donot use the paper filter that came with my scoop because of restriction,i eliminated the inside round filter and just run foam filter element in front.Works alot better.
You are correct. I only used the paper element as a template. I actually picked the filter from the K&N catalog. It is the same size in sq in as the ls7 filter in the Z06. I only used the $6 paper element in case I ruined it in the build process. K&N makes a filter that will slip right in there...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Ivan that's a pretty cool set-up.:thumbsup:

Love the new sun and surf Santa avatar too.:laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ivan that's a pretty cool set-up.:thumbsup:

Love the new sun and surf Santa avatar too.:laughing::thumbsup:
You know where he wants to be going!! He even wanted to be there B4 Christmas. This year is not as bad as last year so it was easier to wait. Last year we were but deep in SNOW from Thanksgiving through when we left. :thud: :thud: :thud:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Looks like it turned out pretty well! Will it stay in primer or will you spray it with some color? I think it looks great just the way it is:thumbsup:

BTW, you guys got a Christmas card from jack panic care of Donna and I.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have you thought about bonding a tin shield or something else on in the event of backfire? Maybe a paintable high temp coating that's somewhat fuel resistant?

Really neat execution, thanks for showing it off. Unusual solution to a common problem.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bill,

You can see in this pic that he's closed it up.

Yea ,i couldnt see it too well,didnt know for sure. There was a good suggestion above about carb back fire,something to think about.Ive been wanting to do something like this,except in a motion kind of a hood.

·
DC Crew
3,084 Posts
Ivan
man it looks good so far ** :thumbsup:

I WANT THAT BLOWER [ been my dream forever] just in case you dont like it after your on the street with it * :laughing:

jim

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like it turned out pretty well! Will it stay in primer or will you spray it with some color? I think it looks great just the way it is:thumbsup:

BTW, you guys got a Christmas card from jack panic care of Donna and I.
Thanks, Will try to get by and grab it...

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea ,i couldnt see it too well,didnt know for sure. There was a good suggestion above about carb back fire,something to think about.Ive been wanting to do something like this,except in a motion kind of a hood.
I don't have much trouble with back fire on the small blower, only boosting about 100 hp. Would rather have the hood go than the manifold. :D

I do plan on adding insulation to the under side of the hood to keep the hood scoop cool...

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ivan
man it looks good so far ** :thumbsup:

I WANT THAT BLOWER [ been my dream forever] just in case you dont like it after your on the street with it * :laughing:

jim

Not much chance of that Jim, this is the second car I have had this blower on.

If you shop around you can pick one up and install it for less than 2K. Thats a cheep $20 per horse power...:D And its controllable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts