Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an ODBII scanner. But, since it has gotten REALLY cold outside, my SES light will go on. This only happened after I gutted the cats (figured it would) so I wasn't too surprised.

Only seems to happen on days below freezing. Strangely.

So, do I risk hurting anything or will I lose performance with the O2 censor being unhappy?

The car seems to run (scream) just fine.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I haven't had an O2 sensor in my Vette for about a year due to no cats and headers. One of these days I'll put it back in, I have an O2 bung ready for welding.

I haven't seen any problems with my Vette. The gas mileage my suffer a little but, I would never know considering how I drive.

I would just double check the code to be sure that's the cause.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
As long as your SES light is on your car is running in "Limp-in" mode and performance will suffer!!
Grumpyvette had posted a real nice, very detailed thread on how to retrieve codes without a scanner
YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
How's your heator work patrick?? That could be a T-stat problem

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
JCswm said:
As long as your SES light is on your car is running in "Limp-in" mode and performance will suffer!!
Grumpyvette had posted a real nice, very detailed thread on how to retrieve codes without a scanner
YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!
Are you sure about this? If so, my Vette is running 13.10's in "Limp" mode at the track. :laughing:

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Black Electical tape will get rid of those pesky codes!:D

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Are you sure about this? If so, my Vette is running 13.10's in "Limp" mode at the track. :laughing:
Patrick has the first gen OBD 2.I f its like my car,and i'm sure it is,one of the things the computer looks at with the cats,is effiency,if the rear sensor(one in front of cat and one behind cat)reads to much,or not enough flow.Then it goes into crapo-mode,the symtoms Jcswm described is exactly what happend after i gutted my cats.Some codes are related heated and un-heated also.

Patrick,can't you pull the codes on the DIC like on a C5?I have all the codes in my library.
The checker auto parts by my house will let folks rent scanners and other tools by the hour.I use my friends.
I had to install O2 simulators on the rear sensors to make the computer think the cats are with-in parameters.:buhbye:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I know my OBD I looks for the O2 sensor too, that's why I get the SES light.

If it actually goes into Limp mode, why have I seen zero change in performance? That's what I'm not understanding.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
BubbleHead said:

If it actually goes into Limp mode, why have I seen zero change in performance? That's what I'm not understanding.
Couldn't tell ya that,maybe only the OBD 2s go into limp mode,i could feel it instantly,it does this so the cats don't get fuel soak and catch fire.My scanner showed a maximum of 15* timing at wide open throttle with the code on.It's usually about 28* at WOT.
13.1,dude i can't believe you didn't stay at the track until you got 12.9.
;)

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JCswm said:
How's your heator work patrick?? That could be a T-stat problem
SMACK!

it was 30 degrees when I left my house ... and it seemed like it took the coolant and oil temp QUITE a while to get to operating temp ... and the heat was very slow to come on...

I think you might be on to something. Tomorrow morning I will start it and back it out onto the driveway. I will time how long it takes to get to 190 degrees at idle....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Hey Patrick,
Isn't there a member near by with a scanner?5 minutes and the guessing is over.You might even have multiple codes.:rolleyes:
Isn't there a DIC on your car?Hit the buttons and it reads out any codes.Get the pen ready,they come quik.
Good luck..:buhbye:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
approx 8 min your car should be at full operating temp
if your coolant temp drops much at highway speeds in cold weather you probably need a t-stat

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
13.1,dude i can't believe you didn't stay at the track until you got 12.9.
;)
Tranny problem, I would hit the rev limiter in each gear before the trans would shift. My goal is to break into the 12's on the stock LT1.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Tranny problem, I would hit the rev limiter in each gear before the trans would shift. My goal is to break into the 12's on the stock LT1.
I'm sure you will if the tranny was bad.Good deal...
Do you still carry the spare?i took the one off my 89 and all the pieces that went with it.That bugger weighed alot.Good luck...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
BubbleHead said:

At full throttle (WFO) your computer does very little, It just dumps fuel and advances timing till it knocks .... lite to medium acceleration is what suffers in "limp-in".... trust me.... you get that lite off and you'll feel the difference

·
Registered
104 Posts
Patrick,

I'll be up north on Wednesday. If you want to meet up we can scann your cars for codes.

Jimmy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts