Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was the last of my l98 70 k miles and she bought the big one. I think it was .. the cam. Have the local nieghbor / Mr Good wrench coming over tomarrow with 5 strong mountain boys to push around 4 dead cars so that we can pull the engine down. I am leaving wed for Georgia for 2 weeks and I want to know what i will need to do to rebuild it. Lets see Malhe pistons, full ballance job, comp cam, 3 angle valve job. Headers? hmmm .... the replacement engine is the zz4 but Im so cheap I would keep the old engine and rebuild it anyway, soooo. a zz has 355hp . If you were to build a street engine and the baseline was a zz4 what would you do? The trans is a new auto. I broke thaaat at the beginning of last summer and that took all of the sumner so I am not going to dally on this one . I will not loose another summer to a mechanical reason. I want to ride,i want to ride !!

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
That sucks Bro. But better now than sometime in June or July. Anyway, it is a good excuse to put together a little thumper motor

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife is surprizingly quiet on this one ,, scareyyyyyyyy! One of my racing friends , he does heads, not mine I wnat to get it done. anyway claims the l98 heads are resonable street heads. I just hope that I did not damage the engine to much, 4 grand for a zz4 and 2000 for a rebuild if no hard parts are munched and I don't go nuts. the thing went away in the safeway parking lot I am one lucky guy of the 100 plus cars that i have had only one or two left me. far from home.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nOT YET i STARTED but I have lag screws rods and blocks in my lower back that really siow me down I leave for Georgia tommarow amd will be back in two weeks. I have Got Mechanic Coming. GMC . That will help. I hve been slowly pulling off the accessory drive and stuff, but other issues bear down upon me. Called the machine shop 875 for labor, parts will be another grand and of course there will be needed things , like headers,etc. Called Crane , Comp , Tpi Specialities, reviewed the pages of DC . Just looking for a few more ponies, call the chevy guys, evidently you cannot buy a "vette" replacenment engine, you need to buy a zz4 change the cam or a Impala motor and change the cam, sooo..... Edelbrock makes an intake to use vortec fastburn heads with the TPI. anyone here done that? Do not know if that would work or if the headers would be a Morfodite headache. Would you even see any HP from them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts