Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not my day. What started being a nice day to take a cruise and celebrate my 51st birthday has turned into ****.

Got pulled over by the local Police for not having plates on the front of my C5. Been driving here with no plates for over 10 years then this. Also a citation for having Limo tint on my front [email protected]#. I actually pointed out 3 vettes that were passing by that had no plates as well.

Tried to tell the cop my vette will look like **** if he makes me run a front plate. He said get it all corrected and the tickets will get dismissed.

I hate the looks of the factory plastic plate holder for the front. Have any of you seen any other alternatives that look good and will still having my plate numbers showing?

Seems like I seen a bracket that holds your plate and can be tucked under the front bumper, and also pulled out to expose the plate when driving in dangerous territories :huh:

Thanks,
Darrell

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I'd pay for the tickets, and not make the changes.

I've never had a front plate on a Vette... and never, even when pulled over for stupid driving, has it even been mentioned that I don't have a front plate.

Unless this guy is some local johnny-law who is just going to harrass you all the time, I say just pay the tickets and roll the dice and hope their isn't a next time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it legal to put the plate in the front window?
I don't know if you can. Hell, the way I drive that steel plate might just take my life! :smack

·
Registered
304 Posts
hey 01 Texas,

I feel you there brother. I live in NYC. The damn cops salivate for that crap. I drive over the Verrazano bridge like every day and the toll cops will ticket you every time. Its just easy money out here. Tint will get thrown in since its easy money, but they 99% wont pull you over JUST for that and a lot of cops wont care. I have the front plate on and while I hated it at first it grew on me. Besides when your driving you wont see it and you will still zoom past everyone! I don't think there are many states left with just a back plate law.

Look at it this way, the C6 is disgusting with a front plate, and actual reason I wouldn't get it. The c5 was made with the plate in mind, it blends in a lot better.

Sounds to me like that cop didn't get laid the night before and got all technical on you for it. Pay the fines. One ticket every 10 years is not a bad deal!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm sorry that the ticket ruined a nice Sunday drive.
I know looks are a matter of taste, but I was able to find a body color version of the the front license plate holder that I think looks ok.
I got mine from madvet.

They also carry a hinged bracket that lets the plate show for legality but then flips out of sight for looks.
From the madvet web site:
Up For "Go", Down For "Show" - C5/C6 Retractable Front License Plate Bracket
* No More Ugly Blocks Stuck On The Nose Of Your C5 or C6

* Slide Out Of Sight For Show Display, Up For Street Legal Driving

Just what the General (should have) ordered! This bracket is the answer to every C5 or C6 owner's prayers. Keeps local authorities and you happy and your Corvette looking clean and uncluttered.

Well-engineered bracket mounts under the front bumper, (two small, hidden holes need to be drilled for installation). Your license plate slides out and flips up to be viewed, but when at a show, the plate can be flipped down and slid under the front bumper - out of sight. A quality part that solves the front plate driving dilemma.

Here's what the front of my car looks like with the body color plate surround:

·
Registered
189 Posts
take a pic of the car with the plate on and take that into the court, get the ticket dismissed, then take the plate back off:thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I recieved a ticket for that once, I just paid it and moved on with life.

is it legal to put the plate in the front window?
I think if you put it in your front window you can still get a ticket of improper display of front tag or something like that.

·
Registered
939 Posts
How Much $$$ is the ticket?

·
Registered
622 Posts
take a pic of the car with the plate on and take that into the court, get the ticket dismissed, then take the plate back off:thumbsup:
:agree: This is how I've gotten two of these tickets dismissed. Lightly tape the plate in place, snap the picture, and take it right back off......much easier to live with then the look of a front plate :partyon:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good thing your in Houston. Mayor Bill White repealed the front plate law about a week ago. though it doesn't go into effect for another week or so. Mayor White has officially requested the LEOs stop writing tickets for lack of front plates.

I heard this on the local new channels but i'm sure you can find the official documents online somwhere.

Happy belated B-day.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I'd pay for the tickets, and not make the changes.
I agree. Got 1 warning and I paid one on my 1996. Got out of one on my C6 when I showed pics of me picking the car up from the dealer without a Front Plate bracket. I notice that dealer is installing the front plate holders before the car is sold now. :thud:

:cheers:

·
Only green will do...
18,402 Posts
I think it will look like crap how much is the ticket i think that cop was just being a a-hole best of luck

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How Much $$$ is the ticket?
Dam thing is gonna be $188.00 for no tags on the front and $188.00 for the Limo tint on the door glass.

I got 10 days to get it fixed plus schedule a court date.

·
Only green will do...
18,402 Posts
Wow that sucks i bet he probably stopped you because of the tinting then saw you didnt have front plates and figured might as well get you for both IMO best of luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Equal justice ?

It would be interresting to see if all of the Houston Police personal cars have the front plates . I often find many leos breaking the same laws that they expect us citizens to obey . I went to graduate school in Houston and know that there are many more problems that deserve their attention than the " front plate and tint " issue . :huh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a new fold down plate holder

I have a new black convertible vette and was pulled over within two weeks of owning it. It was a Mn highway patrol who had not much going on for lunch. I received like 5 warnings on that stop. Apparently they don't like the lazer absorbing plastic over the back plate either. I did not have any problem while owning my 2005 vette. So, I did buy the new black fold down front plate holder and have it folded down most of the time. I agree with most of the other comments about a vette just does not look good with a front plate.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a new black convertible vette and was pulled over within two weeks of owning it. It was a Mn highway patrol who had not much going on for lunch. I received like 5 warnings on that stop. Apparently they don't like the lazer absorbing plastic over the back plate either. I did not have any problem while owning my 2005 vette. So, I did buy the new black fold down front plate holder and have it folded down most of the time. I agree with most of the other comments about a vette just does not look good with a front plate.
I was thinking of buying one of those. It says just to drill 2 holes to mount it. Is it made out of metal or plastic?
I found this one on madvette.com for $59.99

If you got a camera, can you take a shot of it open and closed, plus the way its mounted? I would appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts