Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Tilt steering conversion

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cuda 
#1 ·
Apologies in advance if this is a well-worn topic, but I've been unable to find an answer when searching the forums here:

What's involved with converting a non-tilt '69 manual steer to a later C3 tilt wheel? Or any other year, for that matter, that doesn't break the bank (I just figured later years would be more plentiful).

The car would be so much more enjoyable and I would probably not be able to enter/exit if it wasn't a convertible.

#2 ·
The steering collums should be a direct replacment. Unbolt one and bolt the other in, they are self contained. I'm sure some one will be all over me if I'm incorrect.

I have had my 71 out 2 times, about 6 bolts and an electrical plug.

#5 ·
If you look up Jim Shea's steering papers on corvettefaq.com you will find all the info you will need on swapping steering columns.

:cheers:

Rick B.

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick response, guys. It makes sense that like years will interchange with one another, but is there much interchangeability between years? Say, for example, anything from 68-72 will fit a '69, etc.? I guess I want to increase my odds of finding a decent column that will fit and not cause me to seek a mortgage bailout. Being limited to a '69 donor would obviously narrow the candidate field a bit as opposed to having other years to choose from as well.

I'll look for Jim Shea's paper. I suspect I'll find some useful info there. Thanks for the tip.

I'll also have to look into Flaming River's piece, although, the stuff I've seen from them in the past for other models is usually chromed, which I'm not into.

Thanks again, fellas.

#9 ·
...is there much interchangeability between years?...
Yes and No depending on what you want. Vent balls are universal 68-77; the 15" black vinyl steering wheel is good 69-75, etc. E-brake consoles and console trims plates will swap, but there are model year differences.

...Say, for example, anything from 68-72 will fit a '69, etc.?...
Nope. Too much one year only stuff on the 68s. Ignition is in the dash (where it should be) and the optional column for '68 was tele only, no tilt.

No time like the present to start your Corvette reference library.

Good information here; covers all model years; lots of reference pics.

These two are excellent. Pricey but good.

Go here http://www.cranescorvette.com/1969_stingray_guidebook.htm and see if you can obtain a copy of Rick Bizzoco's book. Great stuff for '69 owners and loads of useful information for 68 drivers.

You can also join the National Corvette Restorer's Society http://www.ncrs.org/ and purchase the 1968-69 Technical Information Manual.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.