Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk to me people...for my 81;
Who's selling a quality Rag Joint replacement?
And who is offering quality steering box swap/rebuild?
Thanks, Ray

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,386 Posts
I've always had great success with Flaming River products. You might give them a call

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always had great success with Flaming River products. You might give them a call
Thanks, but never heard of them...(I kinda been out of the aftermarket supplier circle for a while) Back when I purchased my Vette new Ecklers and Mid America were the top contenders.
Anyhow, Flaming River doesn't seem to stock/sell the rag-joint and only offer a 'new' gearbox for $$$ (but may be still a nice piece)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but never heard of them...(I kinda been out of the aftermarket supplier circle for a while) Back when I purchased my Vette new Ecklers and Mid America were the top contenders.
Anyhow, Flaming River doesn't seem to stock/sell the rag-joint and only offer a 'new' gearbox for $$$ (but may still be a nice piece)

·
Supporting Vendor
3,764 Posts
Finding a quality rag joint is a problem today. The Saginaw/GM rags are the best and have been discontinued the past 10 years. Long Island Corvette had the next best and while they only covered to e69 if the box needed to be rebuilt then new gears could be installed to fit them- but they are no longer available.
Some vendors were going to try and source the material to make them but that went no where, leaving the current cheap junk sold today. Some of them are so bad the D-Flat is out 180*.

If I had 100 NOS GM rags I could sell them in a day.

Then there are those using setscrews to hold them on, good luck with that. I am not saying they won't work but I sure wouldn't be using one.

For boxes, if you go the common exchange route- good luck. I have repaired plenty of "rebuilt" boxes over the years from just about all rebuilders. Some were bad and the others were dangerous. A rebuilder that supplies many has no QC it seems, look up my thread on boxes for more information.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finding a quality rag joint is a problem today. The Saginaw/GM rags are the best and have been discontinued the past 10 years. Long Island Corvette had the next best and while they only covered to e69 if the box needed to be rebuilt then new gears could be installed to fit them- but they are no longer available.
Some vendors were going to try and source the material to make them but that went no where, leaving the current cheap junk sold today. Some of them are so bad the D-Flat is out 180*.

If I had 100 NOS GM rags I could sell them in a day.

Then there are those using setscrews to hold them on, good luck with that. I am not saying they won't work but I sure wouldn't be using one.

For boxes, if you go the common exchange route- good luck. I have repaired plenty of "rebuilt" boxes over the years from just about all rebuilders. Some were bad and the others were dangerous. A rebuilder that supplies many has no QC it seems, look up my thread on boxes for more information.
Thanks for all that Gary, back in 2013 you aided me with the rebuild of my batwig differential (much appreciated). Since then I have been up to my eyeballs caring for my 91 year old father and had to (still have to) put my life on the back burner.
Anyhow, for my Vette to pass up-comming Pa. state inspection I will need a ragjoint (there must be something acceptable out here) and a decent steering box.
Not sure 'if' you still do them but if you do, I just don't have the luxury to ship mine out and have my 81 sitting on a friends lift for several days/weeks so, I kinda need one already rebuilt and ready to bolt-in.

(I would prefer my original box being done)

·
Supporting Vendor
3,764 Posts
Best wishes for your Dad, not easy but worth the time. I have been there.

You can buy a rag from any vendor they are just not going to be close to what GM offered. Some are out 180* on the d-flat.

Yes I am still building the best boxes out there and you are correct you are better rebuilding yours. Some of the exchanges boxes are probably in worse shape then yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts