Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:Ok so its been a while since i have updated you on the progress of my 75! Recently i have done some work on finishing exterior parts of the engine.

I installed the water pump, harmonic balancer, headers, pulleys and distributor. I hooked up the fuel lines to the gas tank and i have finished the rear brake lines too.

I scored on a front bumper, passenger headlight assembly and all the front bumper frame pieces, all for $250 it was a great deal, especially since my dad the actuator bracket in half and i needed another one, i will include some pictures of the one i bought and the rebuild.

Up next: I ordered some energy suspension body mount brackets (thanks for the wonderful tech thread you posted on mount replacement) and i am going to drop the body on as soon as i possibly can.

I also did some minor body sanding, in order to prepare for some fiberglassing work on the front passenger side fender that was hit before i bought the car.

After the body is on, i will hopefully get the exhaust hooked up and get the tach, oil and temp gauges set up so i can break in the engine finally. (i still havent decided what mufflers im gonna put on, i have summit racing headers, 2 1/2 pipes straight back, no cats, what do you guys think?)

and now, for the pictures!

This was a couple weeks ago, right after i finised with the water pump etc.

Here is the front bumper cushion, first a picture of before, and second a pic of after i took everything apart and cleaned it up!

and some other misc. brackets and stuff that came with it:)

Heres the rubber bumper i got that was included in the deal:)

Heres the headlight before the refurbishing and after:):thumbsup:

After taking it all apart, and cleaning it up

I might have already put this on the C3 forum, but heres my spare tire carrier. I had an idea and thought it would look really good like this.

And lastly, here is the fuel tank cover, and fuel lines installed.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Everything is looking great so far. :thumbsup:

Keep the updates rolling in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice! I am at about the same progress except for my suspension/wheels aren't reinstalled yet.

Couple questions - Why not put the exhaust on before dropping the body? It would be way easier and give you tons more access...

Any reason you didn't paint the gas tank to prevent any more rust?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I'm not going to do the ehxaust before the body is dropped on, is because I am taking it to a shop to get it welded on, so the guy that's gonna do
it is gonna put the car on a lift anyway, and also it will be easier to make sure the mufflers are tucked up nice under the bumper and also so we can get the tips in the right spot too.

I didn't paint the gas tank because I live in California, and there was hardly any rust on the gas tank at all over the last 35 years it's been in California, so I don't expect much more rust in the future either.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When you do the bodywork use SMC resin as your car is SMC "fiberglass", cause if you use fiberglass resin on SMC over time it will release the bonding agents and bubble/crack your paint. You can use SMC resin on fiberglass though, and use a primer for SMC/Fiberglass cause normal primer won't do the job. I know this cause when mine was painted 20+ years ago the painter used regular primer and fiberglass resin and it is cracking/bubbling everywhere and my relative is a professional bodyman for 40 years and this is what he told me. Use fiberglass matting instead of the "cloth type" to. Looks good and can't wait for a video:thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks good keep it going... looks familiar..

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Looks good, nice job. Those steel tank covers are a joy aren't they? I leave them out on our 75's.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gtr1999: What would be the advantages/disadvantages of leaving the cover on and the advantages/disadvantages of leaving it off? O guess I should also ask what your purpose for leaving them off is.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
They were a safety add on along with the bladder in the gas tank.

The bladders separate and collapse so I just remove them.

The cover is just another thing in the way.

Is it safe, well a rear impact in any old vette is going to be negative in most cases so it's your call. With the body off it's not bad installing with it on a little more tricky to remove.

Did you check the tank bladder in yours?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I did check
the bladder, there were no holes or tears. And when you mentioned that it just got in the way, what does it interfere with? And what was the reason for chevy putting them on? I mean what was happening that they decide to start doing that?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
The bladders started in 75 as a safety feature. I think it was a response the fireballs FORD Pinto's turned into in rear end collisions.
The problem with them is not from any holes but the glue used to hold them inside the steel tanks drys out and the bladder collapses into the tank. The result is not being able to fill the tank completely. A lot of times 10 gallons is all you get in but it varies. I think the 75 my son has now still has the bladder and he is planning on removing it because it's causing that problem. I don't know if the new tanks come with them, I don't think so but I haven't had to buy a new tank for any of my vettes. The pre 75 tanks were just steel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh that makes total sense. Yeah when I checked the bladder for holes I remember the bladder not being glued very well
to the side. It was probably because the car sat for 10
years, and the glue maybe dried up. So now
I'm probably
gonna check it out again and maybe pull it out before I drop
the body on. Thannks I would have never known the bladder could become unseperated if you wouldn't have mentioned it! Thanks for your help!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
If you decide to remove it and run without it then all I do is cut the top rubber flange off do I can reuse it on the bolt in panel. It is the gasket and you need that. I don't recall if the screws have the o-rings on them, I think they do. You don't want any vapor leaks here. Places like Quanta will have the tank parts you need.
Those senders are expensive now too so you can check it if you pull it again.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Is it possible to get to the gas tank without taking the rear bumper off the 81? Like pulling it out through the passanger compartment?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts