Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three fun years, I've been batting my eye about performing a seat upgrade, and completing it before this years HotRod Power Tour

Right off the bat, long before my build really started, the C3 seats in my 74 simply had to go. They had to be by far, the most uncomfortable seats I can remember since learning to drive on the seat of an old 8N Ford Tractor...it was a steel bucket with water drain holes.

Anyway, I gave 50 bucks for a set of C4 seats, bought new foam and went with new seat covers, in some kind of "pleather", that is supposed to look and feel like leather without the cost. Live and learn, right?:thud:

Anyway, as far as comfort goes, a C4 seat with fresh foam is hard to beat in the comfort department, no doubt, however, they have always left me lacking in the "looks like they belong in a C3" dept. I guess it's mainly due to them being a rather "boxy" looking seat. So if I am to upgrade, it needs to address the boxy look and swap it for more of a streamlined, rounded look.

What better way to address this than do what Chevrolet would have done to them had the technology been around back then.

Special thanks go out to my friend Brian for saving me a set of C5 Sport Seats!

I cant use the stock C5 seat brackets, meaning all the power goodies are left behind...except one. I'll keep the power lumbar (air powered) and remote mount the air compressor. I'll integrate the controls from an Fbody seat....somewhere.

The only bad is as much as I like black seats, they simply don't go with a Medium Saddle interior, anyway you shake it. Once I accepted that. I began searching for some tan skins. Lo and behold someone had a set of full leather, stitched with a Corvette logo and Corvette stitched across the front on the 'bay with a no reserve, so I bid a dollar over the opening bid of 200 bucks....and I won! I guess tan full leather C5 Sport Seat covers aren't in high demand. Works for me!

Anyway, I couldn't help slipping a cover on one seat before taking them to the upholstery shop. Gonna be a great upgrade!

I'll post photos of them completed, as well as how I adapt them to the C3 seat brackets:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Those are gonna be nice! They do sit a bit higher that the c3 seats any way you take it, they're thicker. But I'm 5'8" so it works well for me and dad. Really comfortable, good support and the shoulder belts will go thru the slot. I put ebay seat heaters in, really easy, and the controls where power windows would be.
More pics! :cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,438 Posts
Your going to be riding in comfort now. Why take them to a shop? Do them yourself. Junkman did a great thread on re-doing the C5 seat. You might check it out

CLICK HERE

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your going to be riding in comfort now. Why take them to a shop? Do them yourself. Junkman did a great thread on re-doing the C5 seat. You might check it out

CLICK HERE
That WAS the plan, but after looking at them, and the differences between them and the stock covers, I decided to allow a gal we know to put her magic to them. I simply don't want to screw up on something I cant fix if I do screw it up:surprised

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very timely post sir, for I too am looking to upgrade my factory 73' seats before HRPT. Sat in a 63 vette yesterday that has the C5 seats, Very comfortable so I'm looking for a set. Please keep us posted on progress. Thanks for sharing

If you need someone to keep those old tired seats warm during the tour, just let me know :smack

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet.
I see a "roll bar" behind the seat where the belts attach.
Have details on that?

Not really a roll bar per se, more of a good harness bar! I think I got it from Speed Direct.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts