10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in Jan of 2009 I installed the following:

Front speakers: CDT EF-6, CL-4 and TW-24

Rear speakers: eD EU700

Headunit: Nakamichi CD400

Amp: Arc Audio KS 300.4 (75w x 4)

Picture of amp rack:

Well in July my Nakamichi decided to not play CDs anymore, they would go in but never start playing then get ejected, so I have been running an OEM Headunit with the Aftermarket gear.

I realized the amp was not enough for speakers, especially the fronts with those Passive Crossovers. I was able to get another KS 300.4 Amp in October.

I was also able to buy a replacement Head Unit. An Eclipse CD8053, it was modified to be all black which will look nice in the car too..

The Best thing is between the Head unit and the Amps I can run all active and get rid of the Passive Crossovers.. I started to rework the Amp rack, once I get the amps mounted I will post some pictures.

I need to run one more set of RCAs from the front tto the back of the car too..

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I like that head unit all black, that's going to look really good in the dash....like it belongs. Looking forward to the pictures.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking radio, any reason for not going double din? Not wanting to cut up the dash?
Yeah, doing it on the cheap.. I wanted the second amp, I would have used it the OEM if I had to.. the Head Unit was a Deal at $180. If I went Double DIN it would have to be a Nav unit..

more $$ then I wanted to spend right now

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Yeah, doing it on the cheap.. I wanted the second amp, I would have used it the OEM if I had to.. the Head Unit was a Deal at $180. If I went Double DIN it would have to be a Nav unit..

more $$ then I wanted to spend right now
I hear ya on the $$ part. Is your dash the early or late style?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jeff
Can you clue me in on where to get one of those headunit adapters. I'm about to start redoing ALL of the inside of my 93. All new sound system and all tan carpet, seats, everything being replaced with black.

Any tips you may have for me would be great too. I know the indash is just a controler. Is there any tricks you had to do to get the full size CD deck to fit?

Thanks

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff
Can you clue me in on where to get one of those headunit adapters. I'm about to start redoing ALL of the inside of my 93. All new sound system and all tan carpet, seats, everything being replaced with black.

Any tips you may have for me would be great too. I know the indash is just a controller. Is there any tricks you had to do to get the full size CD deck to fit?

Thanks
the Headunit mount is made from unobtainium.. I bought this one 5 or 6 years ago on CF from a guy making them.

Not sure what is avail now. a regular DIN radio should fit, even a Double DIN will fit.

I ran some wires from the tuner (under dash) to the controller area for most of the wires, a couple were on one of the contorller harnesses..

I ran RCAs down the pass side, in fact I have a 3rd set to run.

you installing an amp too?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to with a 4 CH AMP to the 6x9s and I'm itching to get my 15" 1500W Gravite in the back. The box it's in fits beautifully in the back and sits even with the top of the seats.

I know what some think, but I like to feel the music as well. :smack

Not sure yet what brand deck or speakers or amp I'm going with yet. Still shopping.

Are those 6x9s in the front? The rear was missing so I replaced them with some pioneer 6x9s and they seem to sound good and fit nice.

Sucky cell phone pic.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
System is done

due to some install noise issues I am using my Nak CD400, which means one amp for rear, one amp for front so I am using the Passives.

Althoguh for the short time I had Active, it sounded much better. Not really happy about the current set-up but it is okay for now..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts