Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think its time to either rebuild or replace the engine. I am getting alot of Blow-by from the oil dipstick tube, It's running rough and spraying oil onto the headers. A tech told me the only thing he could think it would be is bad rings. The engine has 170k on it and I knew it was coming but not this week just before Corvettes at Myrtle Beach on Saturday. I have managed to 'seal" the dipstick tube so it is no longer "leaking", but wonder if it is safe to drive a 500 mile round trip as is. My budget for repair is fairly limited. Anyone have any suggestions ? Anyone had any experience with CMengines (carolina machine engines) ?

:lookinup:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Take 10 feet of 3/8" rubber hose, push one end over the dip stick tube and secure it with a hose clamp, then run the other end out the rear of the car, securing it along the way with nylon tyes. Keep an eye on the oil level and take your trip.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Take 10 feet of 3/8" rubber hose, push one end over the dip stick tube and secure it with a hose clamp, then run the other end out the rear of the car, securing it along the way with nylon tyes. Keep an eye on the oil level and take your trip.:thumbsup:

ID bet money he would be out of oil down to the level of the lower dipstick tube end in the oil pan if that was done inside of 100 miles

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4600617_a-siphon-work.html

·
Registered
244 Posts
shouldn't the pcv system control the pressure? To my knowledge it's design is to burn the blowby both clearing air pressure and fumes in the crankcase as well as reducing emissions from simply allowing it to vent. Could adequate pcv possibly control the problem until he can rebuild it?

I read much of those links, and I'm blown away by the oil use chart, how little gap affects usage, but how dangerous it is to get too small a gap.:lookinup:
I am always thrilled to learn about any aspect of engines.

~wd-40:buhbye:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts