Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install new chain and was hopin to get some recommendations for the one to get. Was thinkin of goin with a double roller, if so, would the original cover still work? Thanks in advance,,,,,Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Is your engine basically stock and how do you use the engine?

If the above don't garner any crazy answers, I recommend a stock replacement chain.

Double rollers do tend to stretch faster than stock chains based on some materials I have read on the subject.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your engine basically stock and how do you use the engine?

If the above don't garner any crazy answers, I recommend a stock replacement chain.

Double rollers do tend to stretch faster than stock chains based on some materials I have read on the subject.
yes the the motor is basically stock, just a cruiser.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
yes the the motor is basically stock, just a cruiser.

A stock replacement timing chain will more than take care of your needs.

To answer your other question, most double roller chains will fit under stock covers.

I prefer Rollmaster chains, but for stock replacements, any parts store will have what you need.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I put a new timing set in the '69 this summer. Here's the thread I made about my engine's bottom end:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138635&highlight=cloyes&page=3

Check out posts #41 and #53 for particulars about the set I chose.

I'd be curious to see some evidence that double roller chains stretch more. I could see guys getting a cheap double roller set thinking that double roller must inherently be better than single roller, but if you're comparing similar quality chains I don't see why a double roller would be more prone to stretching. :huh:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Installation Tip:

For installing crank sprocket. It's a press fit. Getting the old one off is easy with a 2 or 3 jaw puller.

Without a press, installation is a bit tougher.

Pre-heat the kitchen oven to about 400 degrees and clean all the oils off of the sprocket. Then put the sprocket in the over for 15 - 20 minutes.

What the heat is doing is expanding the metal of the sprocket.

After 20 minutes or so, grab the sprocket with a set of pliers or a welding glove, and slide it on the crank snout.

Make sure you have the orientation correct and know where the key is so you're not fumbling with it and you can just slide it on.

It should go on without any issues, but make sure it's hard up against the crank shoulder.

I've done this a lot and it works like a charm every time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info guys. got my parts ordered and I will definately try "cookin" the sprocket. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts