Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pic of their stock timing tab? Mine completely covers the harmonic balance so how would I line up the timing mark with the light? There is a hole at zero. Am I missing something? I thought that the tab would cover half the width of the harmonic balancer? It appears to be original?
Thanks

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
should be some sort of cut-out in it for TDC and hash marks for timing -/+

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a hole for top dead center and there are hash marks but the tab completely covers the balancer.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
How thick is the OD of the balancer? (front to back). It's possible the tab is wrong for the balancer. GM made a couple different tabs that were bolt on, not only for different diameters but also for the thickness. There were also a stack of front covers with all different configurations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Original tab on a 78 was welded on.
At one time I had a chrome aftermarket front cover with a bolt on chrome tab. Same problem as you're having.
Found another bolt on tab that was about 1/2" narrower than the first one. It also had a red adjustable 'needle' on it.
Think it cost like $3 at Pep Boys.

Got the original stuff back on now.
Gave away that adjustable one a couple years ago here on DC, someone having this same problem if I recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts