Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some things about this Tiptronic transmission which has features of both an automatic and manual transmission... I was wondering, are there any C5 vettes equipped with a transmission like this? Would you have to have one put in professionally if you wanted a Tiptronic system for a vette?

Thanks

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
there are no vette's with triptronic trannys.if you have the money,anything is possible.i think the only one that could"maybe" handle the power,would be the twin-turbo porshe triptronic,and i think that has many problems.i'm personally not a big fan of these,but to each his own.
for the way people hammer there vette's,the tranny's are pretty good now.the automatics are so smooth,the car doesn't even feel like your going very fast.on c5s the tranny is in the rear of the car.if you really want to explore this,call Lingenfelter or another big company.they could probably fabricate a set-up,but i'm sure the cost would be about the same as launching the space shuttle.:laughing: ...
welcome to the forum....:smokin:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Domino said:
I was reading some things about this Tiptronic transmission which has features of both an automatic and manual transmission... I was wondering, are there any C5 vettes equipped with a transmission like this? Would you have to have one put in professionally if you wanted a Tiptronic system for a vette?

Thanks
FWIW, this is a quote from the April 2003 issue of Motor Trend, page 96:

"More rumor: We hear the Corvette Development team looked closely at complicated electrohydraulically actuated clutches for a sequential manual gearbox, like that available from Aston Martin, BMW, and Ferrari. But cost, complication, and reliability issues made a manually controlled automatic transmission (like Porshce's Tiptronic or Mercedes Benz' Touchshift) a more reasonable compromise for those who want to control ratios themselves only occasionally. Hence, the automatic, and not the manual, Vette will likely be equipped with a column-mounted [sic] paddle-shift system”

A source within GM told me, at the Laguna Seca ALMS race, that this feature will first appear on the Cadillac XLR and then on the C6. It was designed for the XLR but economies of scale dictated that the feature would also be on the C6.

It's disappointing. I would have preferred the electrohydraulically actuated clutches and sequential manual gearbox, since that setup is more functional.

Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is dissapointing... I don't think a C6, when it comes out, will be anywhere near my price range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Domino said:

Thanks
C5R has it. When I was flipping thru the Nov Corvette Fever at the news stand, they had a small blurb on it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Re: Tiptronic C5 vettes?

Skull One said:
C5R has it. When I was flipping thru the Nov Corvette Fever at the news stand, they had a small blurb on it.
Corvette Fever wrote that the current C5-R is using a Tiptronic transmission? An automatic transmission with a torque converter?

Are you certain that the article didn't say that as of Le Mans, the C5-Rs are using a 5-speed Hewland transmission with sequential shift linkage (like a motorcycle, forward for up-shifts, backwards for down-shifts) instead of the traditional extended-H pattern used prior to Le Mans, and a small diamter pressure plate with dual-plate driven disks?

Ray

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tiptronic C5 vettes?

RT66Z06 said:
Corvette Fever wrote that the current C5-R is using a Tiptronic transmission? An automatic transmission with a torque converter?

Are you certain that the article didn't say that as of Le Mans, the C5-Rs are using a 5-speed Hewland transmission with sequential shift linkage (like a motorcycle, forward for up-shifts, backwards for down-shifts) instead of the traditional extended-H pattern used prior to Le Mans, and a small diamter pressure plate with dual-plate driven disks?

Ray

Could be, like I said, I was flipping thru it. Saw the shifter and a blurb. Basically all I saw was no clucth :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiptronic C5 vettes?

Skull One said:
Could be, like I said, I was flipping thru it. Saw the shifter and a blurb. Basically all I saw was no clucth :)
SpeedChannel had an in-car video during the last race of Johnny O'Connell's heel-and-toe technique and in it he is definitely depressing a clutch pedal with his left foot.

I think the last use in road racing of a transmission with a torque converter (i.e., no mechanical clutch) was in the late 1960's when Jim Hall ran one in one of his Chaparals so if your information is correct this would be a profound change.

Does anyone have the November issue of Corvette Fever? Can anyone quote the applicable passage?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Re: Tiptronic C5 vettes?

Skull One said:
Tried to find the November issue of Corvette Fever. Unfortunately the December issue is currently on the news stands, and their web site does not have any mention of this.

I checked Pratt & Miller's web site, Corvette Racing's web site, the American Le Mans Series web site, and the GM web site. All indicate that they are still using the 5-speed Hewland sequential box.

Does anyone have access to the November issue of Corvette Fever? If so, can you scan through it and look for any mention of Corvette Racing switching to an automatic transmission right before the 10-hour race (Petit Le Mans) that will decide the manufacturer's championship for the 2003 ALMS GTS class?

I need to know before I call my bookie. If they did switch my money is on the Ferrari.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts