Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am looking for a good tire to run 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

The car is a c5, stick shift, stock gear. Makes roughly 450whp, may say 550whp on this set of tires. I have a 17x10.5 WELD RTS for the rear, and a 17x5 WELD RTS for the front.

I know a bias ply is typically said to be the go to for a stick car. I am having issues finding a front that will fit my wheels (not wanting to mix bias ply and a radial). Id prefer it to be a DOT tire so I can run the local street class (we don't have any local stick shift classes). This doesn't HAVE to be a requirement though. I also like to drive the car around locally here and there. I was also contemplating going with the ET STREET R Radial since its said to be softer and have a better recovery than a traditional drag radial. Then I would be able to run a radial up front which I have found to fit my front wheels. I'm looking to pull the trigger on tires as soon as I figure this out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems, in order to be DOT and bias ply, I'll pretty much be forced into a MT ET STREET R BIAS PLY, and a M&H front runner. I've heard people having problems trying to fit a 28" tire under a c5, anybody with that experience?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
It seems, in order to be DOT and bias ply, I'll pretty much be forced into a MT ET STREET R BIAS PLY, and a M&H front runner. I've heard people having problems trying to fit a 28" tire under a c5, anybody with that experience?
No one uses stock wheels on a C5 Drag racing.
They are Weld Forged Wheels or Forged True Wheels.

I think your limited to a 26.0-26.5 " tall tire on a C5 like a C4 Corvette unless you Mini Tub the car.
Taller Tires are to your advantage.
28.0" tall desired to Hit 10's, 9's & 8's.
Helps having a tall tire but not required.
The engine will have to Tach Higher at the 1000 Foot mark to the 1320 1/4 light beams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wont be running stock wheels. They are WELD RTS. I am also not lowering the car. There is no 26" bias ply tire for a 10.5x17 wheel. I've found a lot of people are able to run a 28" tire with a little work to the inner fender liner. A 26" bias ply would be more beneficial as I would cross the line at a higher RPM. Since that isn't feasible, a 28" bias ply will be more beneficial than a drag radial. So that's what I'm doing. Thanks for the input!

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I wont be running stock wheels. They are WELD RTS. I am also not lowering the car. There is no 26" bias ply tire for a 10.5x17 wheel. I've found a lot of people are able to run a 28" tire with a little work to the inner fender liner. A 26" bias ply would be more beneficial as I would cross the line at a higher RPM. Since that isn't feasible, a 28" bias ply will be more beneficial than a drag radial. So that's what I'm doing. Thanks for the input!
Your welcome.

If your Running LS3 rectangular port Heads power will not come on strong till 3,000 rpm no matter how cam the engine.
Its due to the Velocity Flow nature of the heads.

Catherdral ports are more flexible.

Help you plan accordingly Drag Racing.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I think it's getting out of hand. Family haulers like the Toyota Venza come stock with 20's. Why? I can understand big rims are necessary to clear the big brakes on performance cars. Back when I was a kid, a mid-sized car had 14's A compact had 13's or even 12's. A performance car had 15's or MAYBE 16's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts