Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DC Crew
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does dropping the air in the tires (Stock Goodyears) help when at the track? If yes, why does it help and what psi should I drop it to? Thanks.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,550 Posts
I haven't found it to help with stock tires. When the pressure is lowered the tread will start to cup and will start making contact only on the edges and you will loose some traction

·
Registered
151 Posts
I didn't notice any change on stock tires either. A stock car just doesn't make enough power for it to matter.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
I heard that when the pressure is what the tire calls for its a lot better

·
DC Crew
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard that when the pressure is what the tire calls for its a lot better
Under normal driving conditions yes but some drag racers say that lowering the pressure at the strip helps the tire hook better.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,550 Posts
Under normal driving conditions yes but some drag racers say that lowering the pressure at the strip helps the tire hook better.
You need a soft sidewall like the old wrinkle wall slicks

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wouldnt worry about lowering the PSI unless your going to run a D/R, just get a little heat in them and go for it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sort of depends on where youtr tire pressure is to start with. FOr street tires (not DR's) you just need to maximize the amount of tread hitting the road. This should put you in the 30 PSI range. I wouldn't go below 28 or higher than 31 for stock Goodyears. Too high a pressure creates a crowning effect in the middle of the tire and wears out the centers (less tread on the road also) and too low creates cupping (lifting in the middle with more weight on the outside edges) and actually has less tread in contact with the road surface. I quick check for pressures would be to find a loanly road and do a few starting line launches. Pick a place that you can spend a little time and look at the tire patches you leave behind. Just lay down a hard launch and then go back and look at the stripes left behind. If the tire marks are darker on the outside edges the pressure is too low (cupping). If the patches are darker in the middle then the pressure is too high and the outside edges aren't making good contact with the road. Best pressure should have even tread pattern across the width of the patch.

Later .. Larry S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts