Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my 05 C6 in storage today - winter has started in New Brunswick Canada. I clean and polish the entire car, top up the fuel and add fuel stabilizer, and put the battery on a CTEK charger. I put the car on dollies so I can move the car around the garage through the winter. The garage is heated.

I am curious if I need to increase the tire pressure to avoid "flat spots" or are flat spots just a wifes tale?

Thanks Blackhat

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your garage is heated, you should be okay by just moving the car around. If you have a manual, put it in neutral and roll it forward or backward about 6"once a month. I start mine occasionally just to hear the exhaust note, then move it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If your garage is heated, you should be okay by just moving the car around. If you have a manual, put it in neutral and roll it forward or backward about 6"once a month. I start mine occasionally just to hear the exhaust note, then move it.
he said he put it on dollies, the moving will not change the position of the tires.

OP - IMHO good idea to pump up the pressure some

·
Registered
535 Posts
I put my 05 C6 in storage today - winter has started in New Brunswick Canada. I clean and polish the entire car, top up the fuel and add fuel stabilizer, and put the battery on a CTEK charger. I put the car on dollies so I can move the car around the garage through the winter. The garage is heated.

I am curious if I need to increase the tire pressure to avoid "flat spots" or are flat spots just a wifes tale?

Thanks Blackhat
I do the same thing you mentioned above except the dollies I have floor tiles in my garage. You should be ok with your setup since the tires wont be touching the cement floor :thumbsup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bump mine up to 38psi to avoid flat spots. I just put mine into it's final spot so i started it and ran it around the block, always run until really hot and them some to burn off moisture. I noticed that the tires seemed to have flat spotted a bit already as there was a slight unevenness in the ride that wasn't there at all before i put it in the garage so i guess it proves that they do tend to flat spot a bit... i think they work themselves out after a few miles on the road and if they don't, $$$. As well, DO NOT START too much, as every start will be a relatively dry start. 6 dry starts = 6x the wear of one dry start. Since your garage is heated, its not as bad but if its cold, even the mobil 1 will move a little slower than with warm ambient temps.
As well, always change and put in fresh oil, w/o contaminents, never store with dirty oil as this promotes corrosion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tricky,

Excellent help - I never considered changing the oil - but for the $50 it is likely worth it. Do I need to change the oil in the spring when I take the car out of storage?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I leave my oil in. Oil doesn't go bad if its just sitting there, otherwise it would have an expiry date on it. After the summer, it's usually down to 40% which is more than adequate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts