Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate do you guys think your tire pressure monitor is? Maybe my gauge is bad but i get about 2 psi less with my Z06.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine is on the spot.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How accurate do you guys think your tire pressure monitor is? Maybe my gauge is bad but i get about 2 psi less with my Z06.
I think it's quite accurate. The biggest difference between DIC reported and actual tire pressure seems to be with the guys that live at high altitudes.

Which is higher - your DIC or your actual pressure taken with a tire pressure gauge?

I'm thinking your DIC is probably higher, because I bet you're checking the pressure with a gauge in the morning before you've driven and the tires are cold, but the DIC is displaying hot tire pressures from yesterday's driving.

The sensors send data to the TPMS computer in the car (which I think is part of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module), and that talks with the Body Control Module which sends the data to the DIC. So, there is plenty of room for errors in the systems!!!

When the car is stationary for more than 15 minutes the sensors go into the "sleep" mode to save the internal batteries, and they only transmit once an hour. If the car is shut down, the TPMS, RCDLR, and the BCM are not powered up so they don't get the signal.

If you go out after the car has been parked overnight and use your tire gauge to check the pressure, you'll get the cold tire pressure. When you start up the car, the DIC will display the last pressures from your last driving session the day before - which will probably be a couple psi higher than your gauge because it's displaying the pressures at the end of the last driving session when the tires were hot.

When you start to drive, a centrifugal switch in the sensor activates at about 20 mph and puts the sensor in the driving mode where it will send data to the TPMS about every 60 seconds (sooner if it detects a rapid pressure change like a blowout).

So.....If you check your cold tire pressure with a gauge, then get in, start up the car, and immediately check the DIC before driving, you'll probably see a couple psi difference - cold tire pressure with the gauge (lower psi), and hot tire pressure on the DIC from previous driving (higher psi).

Try driving around for a couple minutes above 20 mph so the sensors send the current psi to the TPMS and you might see less difference between the two.

As mentioned above, there is plenty of data being transferred between a bunch of computers and errors could be present in the system.

Bob :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts