Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you experts out there:

I have a '04 Z06 and need to replace the stock Goodyear front tires, so was looking at the Michelin Pilot PS2s as alternatives. I would like to replace all 4 tires, but finances won't allow at the moment. My question is: can I mix Michelins on the front with the Goodyears on the rear. Will the car handle like a pig or will there be little difference. I use the car as my daily driver, mainly highway miles, so I need to be sure I'm not asking for trouble mixing tires. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
362 Posts
it might make it feel a bit different. imho though, as long as you don't plan on driving like a maniac or tracking it, you really shouldn't have any major issues. Still, i'd get the other pair replaced asap.

P.S. why just the front? haha... my rears go way faster than the fronts, but that could just be me. :laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Fronts have very little tread left, but the rears are ok - don't know why it should be that way around, maybe it's the way I drive. :laughing:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just spoke to a buddy of mine that works at a tire shop. You should be ok mixing as long as was mentioned about not running it on the track. For every day driving you probably won't feel to much difference

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
if finances are tight, you could go with another tire that doesnt cost as much. there are many really good tires out there that are cheaper than michelins

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I've read some good reviews on the Michelins and they were recommended by the guy who services my car, but am open to other suggestions.

I would prefer to change all 4, but I don't want to go the cheap route and then have to change them again soon after, so if there is a cheaper alternative out there, which is just as good - I'm all ears.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I have been running BFG GForce TA KDW 2's on my C5 and my Z28 for quite a few years, always have gotten 30K+ miles on them, and they stick pretty good too. and they are pretty easy on the budget

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
I've always ran the Toyo Proxes T1R. Very sticky tire with great tread life and a low price. I think the last time I replaced them it was about $1050 out the door.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Z06 tires

My solution at 45K miles was to put on a set of Firestone Wide Ovals. That was 40K miles ago and I am still driving them, though the tread is getting really low. I have a new set of four in the garage that were just delivered by FedEx - ready to put on in a month or so. I paid $770 for all four, including shipping. I love the way they drive - really great on dry pavement - pretty good on wet - but a little stiff when temps are around freezing. Got them from a non-sponsor but the DC sponsor didn't have them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My solution at 45K miles was to put on a set of Firestone Wide Ovals. That was 40K miles ago and I am still driving them, though the tread is getting really low. I have a new set of four in the garage that were just delivered by FedEx - ready to put on in a month or so. I paid $770 for all four, including shipping. I love the way they drive - really great on dry pavement - pretty good on wet - but a little stiff when temps are around freezing. Got them from a non-sponsor but the DC sponsor didn't have them. :thumbsup:
Would you consider yourself as easy going on the tires or aggresive/spirited when driving? 45k on the tires how often do you push the tires to the limit as far as acceleration and braking, cornering etc. Any track use (dragstrip)?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wide Ovals

F55MPH - "Spirited driving" is my thing - the tires have done daily driver service only, I love on/off ramps and pushing it in safe areas without traffic. I also make frequent 200 mile round trips - which is easy duty for the tires. I've got zero track time/drag strip duty on these tires. All-round I look at them as great deal for spirited daily driving.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
:thumbsup: thanks for the info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info.

I'll have a look at the BF Goodritch and Toyos as well. If I can do all 4 at the same time and not go over budget that'll be a plus.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
lets just say i have a lot of turns on the way to and from work i like to see just how fast i can take....every day....front tires look very good, rears are showing some wear (curse that heavy foot), but im guessing i will easily hit 35k on this set. and they are great in the rain

·
Registered
121 Posts
Z06 Tires

I found that the more affordable tire choices for the C5 Z06 (not the Goodyears, Michelins) are harder to find today than they were a few years ago.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I found that the more affordable tire choices for the C5 Z06 (not the Goodyears, Michelins) are harder to find today than they were a few years ago.
the tires I use are $185 each foor the front (255/45/18), $285 each for the rears (285/35/19).

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would prefer to change all 4, but I don't want to go the cheap route and then have to change them again soon after, so if there is a cheaper alternative out there, which is just as good - I'm all ears.
For dd use, you don't need anything extreme. I have General Exclaim UHP tires on mine. Good dd tire and inexpensive. Tire Rack carries them. They are a summer tire though, so no driving in snow/ice/freezing temps, etc. If you need an all-season tire, check out the BFG Super Sport A/S. Good tire and still reasonably priced.

If you ever need a track/autocross tire, think about getting a dedicated set of wheels and tires for it. That way you can have your cheap dd tires and not have to worry about chewing up expensive rubber commuting to work and back. Costs more up front, but man is it nice in the long run. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
For dd use, you don't need anything extreme. I have General Exclaim UHP tires on mine. Good dd tire and inexpensive. Tire Rack carries them. They are a summer tire though, so no driving in snow/ice/freezing temps, etc. If you need an all-season tire, check out the BFG Super Sport A/S. Good tire and still reasonably priced.

If you ever need a track/autocross tire, think about getting a dedicated set of wheels and tires for it. That way you can have your cheap dd tires and not have to worry about chewing up expensive rubber commuting to work and back. Costs more up front, but man is it nice in the long run. :thumbsup:
soon as i get a truck and trailer to pull the vette to and from the track, im getting dedicated track wheels/tires

·
Registered
362 Posts
soon as i get a truck and trailer to pull the vette to and from the track, im getting dedicated track wheels/tires
depending on how far the track or event is from you, you could always bolt 'em on at home and drive there and back! I've done it on clear days. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts