Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my rims for my 93. But I'm not sure what size tires would be best. I'm not worried about make of tire just sizes.

The fronts are 19 X 8 1/2

Rears are 20 X 10

My local tire shop recomended Front 255 35 R19 and rear tire of 255 30 R20. This just didn't sound right to me having 255's front and rear.

I want the sides of the tire out a bit to help protect the lip of the rim. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Pic of front rim.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This is the problem you have putting taller rims on a car that they are not intended for

More important is working back from correct tire height to keep speedo and computer happy ( not to mention under guard clearance ) and then seeing what widths are available close to that height
Stock 275 /40 was approx 25.7" tall

The 255 they have selected is the only thing that comes close to stock height but few would recommend a 255 on a 10" wide rim

The factory fitted 275 / 285's on 9.5" wide rims and 255's on 8.5" rims)

A 255 is going to be stretched so tight on a 10" rim unlikely you will not get the protection overhang you want

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing some on-line research today and talking with my buddy at the local Big O, I found the size for the rear should be285/30 r20 The sizes with the thinner tire are working out to be the same cercomferance as the stock 4x4 looking tires. Ride hight and speedo should stay about the same. Rim bigger and tire thinner = same. :thumbsup: According to Big O.

Randy Ring and pinion web site has a good gear tire calculator. I'm going to look at in a min

Stock rims and size are just to boring for me. The wheels I got will go sweet with the paint job I'm getting in the spring.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
for the rear should be285/30 r20 The sizes with the thinner tire are working out to be the same cercomferance as the stock tires. Ride hight and speedo should stay about the same. .
If you say so ;
The Randy's calc has your 20" tire over a 1" taller than your stock 275/40/17

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you say so ;
I haven't had time to make it to Randys site yet. Just got hm. Thanks for check'n on that for me. The 1" is over all? So then from center of hub it would only be .5? I really don't think that is going to make much of a differance. Or would it? If so I could always go with 255/30/19 and 285/25/20 You think that would be better? How picky is the tranny and sencors really?

COPO "What color you going with "

I'm thinking that Grabber green. Like the bright floresant green on that NASCAR chicks car, the 17. Dana Patrick or whatever her name is. Tint the windows and color match the white on the rims to the green too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you say so ;
Just ran the numbers and not to worried. Randys calc.....

Stock I have now. 285/40/17 @ 25.98

20" rears 285/30/20 @ 26.73

That makes the differance of .75 or 3/4 of an inch. Divide that X2 is 0.375 that will effect the gears or trany. I see no prob with that.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
After doing some on-line research today and talking with my buddy at the local Big O, I found the size for the rear should be285/30 r20 The sizes with the thinner tire are working out to be the same cercomferance as the stock 4x4 looking tires. Ride hight and speedo should stay about the same. Rim bigger and tire thinner = same. :thumbsup: According to Big O.

Randy Ring and pinion web site has a good gear tire calculator. I'm going to look at in a min

Stock rims and size are just to boring for me. The wheels I got will go sweet with the paint job I'm getting in the spring.
check out 1010tires.com and verify the info on tire sizes

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not all the tires measure the same. Close but can be 1/4 different.
:agree: Diff brands will measure up dif. With my 38"s on my truck it can be about a 3" between styles even with the same make. Swamper boggers 38"s are really 36.? and swamper tsl-sx 38"s are really 39.? :thud: As for a car tire I know they can be a bit off but I'm only going to have them on the car in the summer about 4 months for about 3000 miles a year.

I'm thinking they'll work out nice. I'll post up when I get them on the car and let ya know if there is and probs so others will know before they try the same. I do thank everyone for the help and concern. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts