Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So after reading a lot of posts on tires I have come to the conclusion that I'd like to go with the Michelin Piolt Sport A/S Plus ZP's
on my 04 Coupe.
There is one small problem ! :thud:
The guy who previously owned this car put C6 Z06 wheels on the car.

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-z06-style-reproduction-wheel-18-x-10-5-chrome-rear-2001-2004.html

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-z06-style-reproduction-wheel-17-x-8-5-chrome-front-1997-2004.html

Right now I have BFGoodrich P255/40 ZR 17's on the front and
P295/35 ZR 18's on the rear. Front wheels are 8.5" wide, rear wheels are 10.5" wide.

I wanted an All Season / Run Flat tire. Thats why I went with the Pilot Sport A/S but, Michelin dosen't make the Pilot Sport A/S in that size that i have on my car now..

So now what do I do short of replacing the wheels?

Or ...................will the stock size Pilot Sport's for an 04 Coupe,
( P245/45zr 17's & P275/40ZR18's ) fit on the wheels I have now? :huh:

· Registered
382 Posts
Any particular reason you want an A/S, run flat tire? I see you live relatively close to me, but are you driving your Corvette in this weather? If not I would suggest trying a more performance oriented, non-run flat tire. There is a difference in ride and handling you will notice.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any particular reason you want an A/S, run flat tire? I see you live relatively close to me, but are you driving your Corvette in this weather? If not I would suggest trying a more performance oriented, non-run flat tire. There is a difference in ride and handling you will notice.
Well I don't expect to be driving in the snow but as long as the weather is fair I'll use my Vette. I don't want it the be a "garage queen".

I have read the certain performance oriented tires will loose some of its performance when the temp. dips below 40 ?

And as for the run flats?
I'd rather be safe then sorry. With my luck, i'll be out someplace with the wife and i'll get a flat. Would rather drive to a nearest Service place and get it fixed as opposed to pulling out a plug kit and compressor.

· Registered
29 Posts
I would put the stock size back on, you are creating undue stress on the car with those sizes.

Unless it is not your intention to keep the car for the long run.

You can find a full set really cheap because many people customise their car.

· Registered
382 Posts
Stock C5 Z06 sizes are 9.5" front and 10.5" rear... I understand that the Z06 has some improvements to its underpinnings but I wouldn't be worried about "undue stress" personally.

I had to remove my runflats almost immediately after purchasing my 'Vette. Yes, I do carry a "roadside kit" with portable compressor and patches/plugs... and a AAA membership :smack

Any tire will lose some of it's "performance" when cold (under 40*), but after warming them up a bit they'll usually respond well. Road conditions are another variable entirely...

Actually, I think runflat tires would be a rather poor choice for cold weather driving. Those things are so stiff they'll take forever to warm up.

· Banned
1,630 Posts
I run the C6ZO6 wheels and have for years with non runflat Toyo tires,no problems here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.