Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD

Well, the tire on the Z51 car actually has a UTQG wear rating of 220! Good, a soft tire for once on a Corvette that will allow good traction and performance; drop some pressure and it should accelerate well too. This soft tire was probably a mistake by some bean counter. I have not been able to find a softer tire to date.

BAD

I am led to believe that if the computer senses a low tire pressure it greatly reduces the available power to the driver. (More of the gov't or some ins. co. protecting us from ourselves)

I am also led to believe the magic number is around 22psi. Gee, just where I would put the pressure for the strip. Is there anyway around this at all?

Lastly, can the damn sensors be ditched or will the ECU/PCU or whatever it is called, have a fit and prevent the car from running properly etc?

I would dearly love to get rid of these things ASAP.
Anyone out there really know what the story is on this TPS unit?

Thanks for any input. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
308 Posts
olddog said:
GOOD

Well, the tire on the Z51 car actually has a UTQG wear rating of 220! Good, a soft tire for once on a Corvette that will allow good traction and performance; drop some pressure and it should accelerate well too. This soft tire was probably a mistake by some bean counter. I have not been able to find a softer tire to date.

BAD

I am led to believe that if the computer senses a low tire pressure it greatly reduces the available power to the driver. (More of the gov't or some ins. co. protecting us from ourselves)

I am also led to believe the magic number is around 22psi. Gee, just where I would put the pressure for the strip. Is there anyway around this at all?

Lastly, can the damn sensors be ditched or will the ECU/PCU or whatever it is called, have a fit and prevent the car from running properly etc?

I would dearly love to get rid of these things ASAP.
Anyone out there really know what the story is on this TPS unit?

Thanks for any input. :cheers: :cheers:
OldDog

The following was posted by StanleyP on 08/10/05

C6 Tire Pressure Monitor facts.

OK. In response to a previous thread about TPS sensors and what happens if you dont have them.

I mounted a set of aftermarket wheels and the FRONT wheels could not accept the TPM sensor (long story, don't ask).
So, until that problem is resolved, I'm driving the car with only the rear 2 TPM sensors.

Here's what will happen:

DIC displays info that the tires are flat, and not to exceed 55 mph.

The Tire Warning idiot light stays on.

You are not able to change to "Competition Mode" or turn off Active Handling.

Hitting RESET to remove the warning from the DIC only works for a minute before it displays again.

The tech at the dealer is pretty sure the monitoring or the display of the monitoring can NOT be turned off. He will look into it but we're both doubtful.

If Boyd Coddington cannot come up with a suitable
workaround to installing the sensors, I may be forced to build a teeny tiny tank, install the sensors to it, and pressurize the tank to 30 PSI.

Steve

By the way, on my C5, I had the sensor warning come on after starting the car after leaving a movie theatre. To be honest, I don't remember if I drove a short distance before it came on for all tires. I thought somebody slashed all the tires.

I couldn't see any physical damage. When checking tire pressure, all tires were below 25 PSI. Went to a gas station to raise the pressure to about 32 PSI to compensate for tire heat. Started the car, drove a short distance and everything was fine.

This occurred when the winter season was just starting and would get fairly cold at night, about the time we left the movie theatre. I am sure this caused the low-pressure problem.

·
"a title"
790 Posts
I still can't believe that you cannot put drag radials on a C6 without it torpedoing your computer. I wonder what brilliant engineer devised that.

Paul

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If Stan posted it then it is accurate - drat.

I suppose the next generations will have warnings about "windows excessively dirty" or "speed 3 mph over max 65".

At least the thing does not talk to you like some of the 'commie' cars I have been it - - - don't ask about the commie thing either.

I am counting on the LS2 edit to eventually work around some of this crap . . . until then, it is still better than I expected except for the 'rock box' trannie.

Now the guy who designed that thing - :nuts:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
olddog said:

At least the thing does not talk to you like some of the 'commie' cars I have been in -
Your blood pressure sounds high enough...therefore I don't suggest you ride in a C6 that has the Nav system. Ask her for dual map mode and she tells you where the nearest Italian restaurant is....that's not a joke either.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know that the NAV would talk to you - - and I prefer French or Continental to Italian too. Northern Italian being an exception,

What is it coming to - talking Vettes - Geeze!

·
Registered
539 Posts
youngs98 said:
Your blood pressure sounds high enough...therefore I don't suggest you ride in a C6 that has the Nav system. Ask her for dual map mode and she tells you where the nearest Italian restaurant is....that's not a joke either.
It must be our Texas accents, mine doesn't understand a word I say.

Olddog, are you saying it seems to work fine above 22? I have been thinking of lowering mine to 24 for some testing but haven't got around to it yet. I am wondering if it will work at this pressure or is it just a waste of time?

Brett

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brett,

I do not know. I was running about 28 or 28 in the rears and about 30-32 in the fronts but put more in as I had to make a 1300 mile trip.

I think 24 would be just fine for messin' around but prolonged speed or interstate stuff will need pressure for safety . . let me know if 22 works.

Still in 'Ferrari' shock here in PA.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Brett Hunter said:
It must be our Texas accents, mine doesn't understand a word I say.
Haha, unfortunately Brett, I am from Detroit...about an hour away from Dave Hill's house so if the computer should understand anyone...it's me! Oh and for anyone else wondering, the magic computer lady voice doesn't understand requests for sexual favors either....never fails when I give one of my buddies a ride, they always ask her. It takes me 10 minutes to get my Nav system back to normal...

:laughing:

·
Registered
308 Posts
olddog said:
If Stan posted it then it is accurate - drat.

I suppose the next generations will have warnings about "windows excessively dirty" or "speed 3 mph over max 65".

At least the thing does not talk to you like some of the 'commie' cars I have been it - - - don't ask about the commie thing either.

I am counting on the LS2 edit to eventually work around some of this crap . . . until then, it is still better than I expected except for the 'rock box' trannie.

Now the guy who designed that thing - :nuts:
OldDog

Another post from StanleyP

Addendum:

I found by reading the service manual (Duh! ) that the sensors need to be moving to send a signal.

That leaves out the sm. tank solution.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts