Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

my wife inherited a 69 c3 and it sat in a nice dry garage for about 10 years. after some work, ive got it running. it feels great, but theres the slightest bump when driving. it might be a flat spot in the tires, but the tires look nice and round. tires are dunlop gt qualifier and have good tread on them. they hold air nicely.

so, this is probably either a smallish flat spot on the rubber from sitting still so long - in which case, do you think a little driving will smooth it over?

or, this is a tire balance issue, which i can have the local garage spin balance.

your thoughts, anything similar with you?
thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do NOT drive on those tires. They are old and unsafe. I would put the car on 4 jackstands, throw the wheels and tires in the back of the truck and take them to Discount Tires for 4 new tires. It is only a matter of time before they blow out.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Do NOT drive on those tires. They are old and unsafe. I would put the car on 4 jackstands, throw the wheels and tires in the back of the truck and take them to Discount Tires for 4 new tires. It is only a matter of time before they blow out.
:agree: You don't want to gamble with tires and brakes..........So, I would think about refurbishing the brakes right away as well.........

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I agree! Those old tires are dry-rotted!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
OP....for the health and safety of YOU and everyone....re do those brakes, they are famous for storage problems....they WILL fail....

and YES, those tires are JUNK....ditch them NOW....as in yesterday....

:devil: :devil:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Hate to be a downer brother.... but.... you're in for a lot of "fix to drive" heartaches in your future. I bought my 69 under very similar circumstances. Got mine from a widow who had it covered and garaged for 12 years. The odometer read 66k and change. Even had the original spare. Now for the downer part....Every seal, barring, hose, belt, and electrical connection was dried out. The car was in the shop most of the time, nickel and dimming me to death. So I went "body off" and replaced everything. Someone here wrote a GREAT article on what to expect when redoing these cars. FIND IT AND READ IT !!!! Not sure I would have gone this route had I known ahead of time. They are great cars !!! Everywhere you go you get "thumbs up" from passersby. The time and cost are substantial and always more then you thought they would be.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I agree with all of the above. You will most likely need a new brake master cylinder today, or the next day you drive it. You will know it's bad when the brake pedal goes to the floor and you can't stop the car. Same thing happened to my dad's 1977 that sat in the garage for 6yrs. Drain the engine oil and put in new oil too.

good luck with your vette!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

thanks everyone, i appreciate your replies. any recommendations on tires to get? this is not a race car, just a weekend car. any recommendations of tires to avoid?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I love my Goodyear Eagle GT II's. You gotta get the raised white letters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts