Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the front tires going flat when the weather turns colder. It only happens to the front tires and it happens when I'm driving it or if its just sitting in the garage. I've had a tire place check out the tires and they don't find anything wrong with them. They just deflate. Not sure what to do. The tires are Firestone Firehawk FZ50. Only 4000 miles on them. Wheels are original. Any ideas?

·
Registered
597 Posts
well my first thought could be just a small bead leak?
did they break down the tires and check the rim?
did they put the tire in water and check to see if there was any air bubbles coming out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did take the tire off and put it in water. I'm not sure if they checked the rim. I know they put some stuff around the tire to help it stay sealed. I'll have them check the rim. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The stuff that put around the bead is for sealing the rim. Have they went down since?

·
Registered
206 Posts
For every 10 degrees Fahrenheit change in the outside temperature, the tires air pressure will change by about 1 pound per square inch (psi).

Have you thought about using Nitrogen in the Tires, might help maintain the proper pressure longer.

Just a thought, Not sure if it really works but the premise sounds right.

Good luck, hope its not a more serious issue with your wheels.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
For every 10 degrees Fahrenheit change in the outside temperature, the tires air pressure will change by about 1 pound per square inch (psi).

Have you thought about using Nitrogen in the Tires, might help maintain the proper pressure longer.

Just a thought, Not sure if it really works but the premise sounds right.

Good luck, hope its not a more serious issue with your wheels.:thumbsup:
Nitrogen can help in some ways, but mostly because the filtration process makes it drier than sop air. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. The most important thing is to make sure the air is moisture free so the water vapor (or liquid water if it is really bad) does change the pressure as much.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cold weather leaks are usually the valve stem to rim, but sometimes if there's corrosion in the bead temperature change will open and close it up.

Most tires are going to warm up in the building for hours before being touched by the tech. Tires need to be flex during mount & dismount, plus bead sealer shouldn't freeze before it dries, so warmth is helpful to the tire tech. It's not suprising their water tank says tire-no-leaky-leak :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had a tire do this years ago, Turned out it only leaked with the weight of the car. when the leak area was down on the ground. Try spraying the bead with soapy water when you park the car. recheck in about 15 minutes if leaking it will turn white foamy and will look like shaving cream. also spray the side wall of the tire and look for little tiny white spots. I have seen tires leak right through the sidewall.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
every winter the change from 90's+ to 50's or less drops the pressure in my tires enough to have to get them filled up again, and I am using nitrogen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts