Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there ANY good performance tires out there that come in a 255/60/15? All I can find is the BFG Radial T/As and the FireHawks. I really need something that will give me better traction! If theres nothing out there Im going to have to consider getting bigger wheels I guess... when I got my AR TT2's I got 15" because Im not a huge fan of big wheels on classic cars.

EDIT: I just found a couple of other options, Im going to make a list... please add any you know of or have had good experience with! Thanks!

~BF Goodrich Radial T/As
~Firestone Firehawks
~Goodyear Eagle GT II
~Cooper Cobra Radial GT

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have goodyear gt IIs and havent had any problems. they wear well, not alot of road noise. have ya thought about 275s on the rear?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have goodyear gt IIs and havent had any problems. they wear well, not alot of road noise. have ya thought about 275s on the rear?
How much wider are they? They'd fit an 8" wheel right? If so, Id definitely like to go as wide as possible on these wheels

....Ooooo and BFG and Hoosier make drag radials in that size!!! Thatd be sweet :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an inch taller and wider.

I definitely have room for an inch taller! Would an inch wider still fit on the 8" though or would I have to get 9" wheels?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
972 Posts
no problem. after lookin at the pics of your vette, which looks great by the way. a larger tire on the rear would help the ass end look more proportionate with the taller hood and the sidepipes. good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problem. after lookin at the pics of your vette, which looks great by the way. a larger tire on the rear would help the ass end look more proportionate with the taller hood and the sidepipes. good luck:thumbsup:
Thanks.

Yeah, I never got the longer bolts after putting my monospring in, so my ass end sits a little high. Now rather than lowering it I can just fill it with more rubber! lol

I think Im going to go with the BFG g-force Drag radials. I just have to decide whether I want to just get 2 and throw them on my stock wheels, or get 4. Id like 4 so I could have improved handling and traction on the street, but do drag radials wear quickly with a lot of street driving? Its not my daily driver or anything, but I drive a good amount during the spring/summer/fall. They sound like great tires though!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Double check me, but I was just at a Goodyear store and was informed that they are phasing out the Eagle GT II. They only had one tire left in a 255/60/15, and could not get anymore.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah, I never got the longer bolts after putting my monospring in, so my ass end sits a little high. Now rather than lowering it I can just fill it with more rubber! lol

I think Im going to go with the BFG g-force Drag radials. I just have to decide whether I want to just get 2 and throw them on my stock wheels, or get 4. Id like 4 so I could have improved handling and traction on the street, but do drag radials wear quickly with a lot of street driving? Its not my daily driver or anything, but I drive a good amount during the spring/summer/fall. They sound like great tires though!
boy i dont know about the front, seems like they would wear pretty quick on the front, especially makin turns

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ye:devil:
boy i dont know about the front, seems like they would wear pretty quick on the front, especially makin turns
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, ill have to look into further. Now that I remembered that I have dtoc rims to put 2 tires on for the rear that idea doesn't seem too bad... at first I was thinking id have to buy a couple rims... I forgot I have my nice stockers sitting in the back of my garage lol.

Either way I need new rears, my current rears are 5yrs old and the treads getting low(but suprisingly not that bad for 5yrs!) Maybe ill get (2) 275 60 15 BFG Radial TAs for my TT2 wheels for everyday driving and then (2) 275 60 15 BFG g-force drag radials for 2 of my stock wheels for strip use only....

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST comes in the sizes you're looking for. It's the best 15" tire I've used, and I've had some
Ofthe aforementioned ones.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would be best. throw a pic up when ya get the 275s on.
Absolutely, thanks again for your help!

Spezzy, Ill check out those MTs too. Im just looking for a mild drag radial... Im afraid that too much traction is going to blow up my stock rebuilt 1980 rearend lol. :lookinup: I have a feeling its going to be inevitable, but Id like to make it last as long as possible lol.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you're going with DR's I'd suggest the Nitto 555R over the BFG. It wears a little longer and would give you more piece of mind should you get caught in a rain storm. The BFG has a flat center whereas the Nitto has a water channel. My .02...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input and ideas guys. I would like nittos, I didn't realize they made them in the 275s... I checked a couple days ago for the 255 and they don't make that size and I guess I forgot to check back for the 275. They do have them, so that's an option... I hear nothing but good things about nittos. Ill definitely look into the MTs and hoosiers too. Do you guys think I should stick with BFG radial TAs for everyday driving, or do you recommend something else? Would you use the dr's for daily driving?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for all the input and ideas guys. I would like nittos, but do they make them in a 275 60 15? Would you use the dr's for daily driving?
Yes they do - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/nitto/size/bySize.do?cs=275&ar=60&rd=15

I wouldn't run DR's for daily driving, they wear too fast and are not good in the wet. I ran them on my Camaro which is a fair weather car only and they still wore too fast for my liking. I'm running 18's and they are too expensive to keep replacing. :)

Edit - Do you still have your stock wheels? If so you could run the BFG's everyday and mount a set of stickies (when you need the traction) on 2 of the stock wheels and not be limited to just DR's. Just a thought...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts