Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time deciding which tires to buy for my car (GS Vette). I live in Chicago and drive my car for 5-6 months out of the year, and I avoid the rain (got caught a couple of times). What tires should I get for my car?:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Welcome to digitalcorvettes!:buhbye:

I don't live to far from you at all. You'll find MANY Grand Sport owners here, such as myself (affectionately known as #846).

I was a little tight on money when I needed 4 tires recently for the GS.

I went with P315/35ZR-17 Sumitomo HTR Z for the rear, and P275/40ZR-17 Sumitomo HTR Z on the front. They cost $140 for the rear, and $116 ea. for the front. I bought the front's first, quite a deal at $116. But, when I ordered the rears, the price went up.

I was limited on time, so I got them from TireRack, but you could shop around and maybe find a better deal.

As you can guess, I went with darn near the cheapest tires you can get (i figured I'd replace them when I had $$$). But, they are not low-quality by any means! I don't intend to replace them now.

Now, I generally drive like Mario Andretti. And, I've put these tires through my very own "testing" a week ago. These tires handle GREAT, I found the best tire pressure is 29psi for both a good ride and good handling.

Reviews put it in the "excellent" category, and you just can't beat the price.

Learn more about the tires here....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have those same tires on my 87 and I love them. They out perform and have a better ride quailty than the Dunlop 9000's I took off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 'Vette is an unregistered, dedicated Autocrosser, so the Hoosier A3S03's I use would do you no good on the street. I do have competitors in the area who use street tires at events , so I have formed an opinion as to what are the best "Wet" tires in sizes that will fit your GS. It is too bad that Kumho does not make their Ecsta MX's or Ecsta Supra 712's in your rear tire size. Probably the best bang for the buck I have seen in a streer tire.
I have raced against 'Vette's with both of the following brands. I lean toward the Michelin's. I used to run Michelin MXX3's when my Vette was on the street. I have been told by a competant Autocross driver that the "Sports" are much better.

Michelin Pilot Sports-Z Speed Rated-315/35ZR17-$318.00
275/40ZR17-$289.00
BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KD-Y Speed Rated-315/35YR17-$281.00
275/40YR17-$232.00

These are Tirerack prices. Another alternative, if you do not use the car when it rains, are Kumho 700 Victoracers. I used to run them on the street before I built my trailer. I was getting about 5000 miles and a season of Autocrossing at the Regional and Divisional level per set. Unlike the Hoosiers which have a Polyester cord, they are Steel Belted and take a lot more abuse on the street.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:agree:
My 84 has the Sumitomos on it and I think they're great!
I'm about ready to replace (winter and all) and I'm planning on putting Sumi's on her again.
They handle great streetwise, the few times I've been caught in the rain (hey, I'm in Ga., if the weather doesn't suite you, give it 5 minutes.......lol). they've been all I could ask for, and more. Plus, the tread-siping/overall appearance are clean and performance minded.
For the price and performance....hands down.....go with the Sumi's!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 96 WS6 Ram Air TA has the same size ZR1 Chrome plated wheels as your GS(56mm offset for fbody) and I have had them for four years and between the Vette and the Bird I have tried most of the different brands and the Pilot Sports while they are still soft are the BEST street tire that I have tried. They are more expensive but I think they are worth it.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts