Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before, but what is a good set of non-runflats out there for the C6 vette. Also what is the expected life from a set of the stock run-flats. They are not the Z51 tires.

thanks-pat-

·
Registered
109 Posts
Asking what tread life you'll get is like asking what MPG you'll get. Many, many variables. I have the Z-51 option with supercar tires. I have 11,400 miles on mine, and from the looks of the tread, I expect I'll get well over 20,000 miles. Wouldn't be surprised if I make 25,000-30,000.That's not too bad for the soft compound supercar tires.

Why? I monitor the tire pressure consistently, and adjust it up or down depending on weather changes so I keep it as close to specs for cold tires as possible. I don't abuse the tires-no burnouts, no hard cornering. Some might think I am a wuss driver, but I'm not. I just treat them well.

When I see drivers here saying they have replaced tires three times in 25,000 miles, the only thing I am sure of is I would NEVER want to buy their Vette used!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am the exact opposite. Its a vette. You spend all the money on it to be fast, handle turns fast, and haul ass. If i was going to just hump around town all slow id just drive my truck. Every time i take the vette out i scare myself a bit. The way i look at it is even if i got only 60K miles out of the car, but had a hell of a time doin it everytime itd be more worth it to me than getting 150K out of it but babying the hell out of it. If it breaks ill fix it. If somethin wears out, ill replace it, but im goin drive it like i stole it every time and have a a hell of a time doin it. :thumbsup: but anyways what are some good non-runflat tires out there. I think i remember people talkin about the michelin's?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am the exact opposite. Its a vette. You spend all the money on it to be fast, handle turns fast, and haul ass. If i was going to just hump around town all slow id just drive my truck. Every time i take the vette out i scare myself a bit. The way i look at it is even if i got only 60K miles out of the car, but had a hell of a time doin it everytime itd be more worth it to me than getting 150K out of it but babying the hell out of it. If it breaks ill fix it. If somethin wears out, ill replace it, but im goin drive it like i stole it every time and have a a hell of a time doin it. :thumbsup: but anyways what are some good non-runflat tires out there. I think i remember people talkin about the michelin's?

:partyon: Right on brother!!!:partyon: Why don't you like the runflat's??

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
YEAH BUDDY!!! :agree: Runflats suck. They are ok for cornering, but are terrible on fast starts. I've got 7000 on mine, and I am surprised how well they are wearing (non z51). I will be happy to replace them with something quieter and stickier

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Go Michelin PS2. It's non-runflat, and provides great performance. Check out supporting vendor TD4less, and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Go Michelin PS2. It's non-runflat, and provides great performance. Check out supporting vendor TD4less, and see what they have.

And I wouldn't mind buying a Vette from someone who has driven it hard-at least they know why they spent 50k.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know this has been asked before, but what is a good set of non-runflats out there for the C6 vette. Also what is the expected life from a set of the stock run-flats. They are not the Z51 tires.

thanks-pat-
I just got new tires today. I got 33,000 on the stock run-flats that came on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are sizing for the tires on the vette. also if i was just going to go with the stock runflats for the back (because that is the only ones really worn down) what would i be looking to pay per tire. Also the reason that i want to get away from the run-flats is the fact that because they are runflats the sidewalls are very hard, too hard in my opinion and therefore inhibit the handling of the car. If there are non runflats the sidwalls arent as hard and the flex will allow for better grip in turns

Thanks for all your help
-pat-

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got 23K on my Supercar tires. I replaced them with the GY GS2 run flats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put the new Firestone Firehawks on my C6. I was able to squeeze 25,000 out of the Goodyears. The new Firehawks are not on many of the dealer price lists since they are so new. TireRack has them listed and you can get the specs from them. The set of four cost $700 less than the Goodyears installed and they seem to have better all weather performance. I am pleased with the grip in wet weather and dont feel like I am running on eggs in the corners when it rains. I would reccomend these tires as an alternative for replacement of your run flats. I am sold on their performance.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I like the GY GSD3s they are stickier than the F1s and seem to wear OK. Hard for me to judge my milage this summer. Tires last two track sessions. I am on my second set of tires this summer and have a third set bought and paid for sitting at Preston Road Tire and Service in Frisco. They have stepped up and given discounts because I go through them faster than most. A fair trade I would say:thumbsup:

I have had a set of F1s go 15k and could have gone longer but I like fresh tires entering the rainy season so I swapped a little early.

I am not a PS2 fan. I had them on the last C4 I had and found Kuhmos at half the price out performed them and got better wear. If you are looking for sticky tires, the best I have seen on track were the Toyo RA1s. The stick like Hoosiers and wear like PS2s.

:cheers:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got 38,000 out of my runflats and the wires were starting to show. I replaced with the Toyo Proxies and havent regretted it yet ( Smooth, Quiet and grip really well plus handle great in the rain)

Cliff

·
Registered
59 Posts
Runflats

Just ordered the Firestone Firehawks Wide Oval RFT. I hope they'll be better than the originals, but I did make it to 18,000 on them. Front wore faster than the back. The wife drives it most of the time, and it's not a daily driver for us. Surely I'm going to check in the alignment up front, because this doesn't make since, even though the car rides straight all the time. I put runflats back on it because of her complaining about the flat tire issue, but I really wanted to try the new " Falken FP 452's. I've heard they are awsome bang for buck and performance. Next set it will be my turn to choose... :partyon:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts