Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Thank you for your plans to post your build! I know that it takes a lot of time and effort to shoot the pics and type up the narrative but it is very much appreciated!

Sounds like you scored a really good vehicle for your build. I had similar good fortune with my 81. Bought it from an individual that was the second owner, showed just under 46K on the clock. Like you did, I lowballed the owner and he took it! Hard to find those low mileage garage kept C3s nowadays.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Hey 77B can I offer one suggestion before you go any further. Ditch the stock harmonic balancer and install an ATI super damper. Trust me it’s worth it in the long run. Motor will run smoother and it will out last the stock balancer. Have one on my LS2 and was the best mod that I have done to it. Just saying IMO. Had mine drilled and pinned just in case I wanted to do force induction somewhere down the road. It’s a big piece of mind that you won’t have to worry about the rubber between the hub and pulley giving up. I had two stock balancers go south on me. The rubber on both broke loose. The first let the pulley get a wobble the second the pulley walked forward. This especially true if you get on the car much at all. So that’s my rant I have no faith in the stock units at all.
Good advice. I used the ATI on my LS3 build as well.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Wow, thought I had part numbers saved for several different manufacturers harmonic balancers but after re-reading multiple threads I'm not sure of my data. I believe what I want is a OEM diameter +/- 7.5", "corvette" depth (1.5"), so with air conditioning I need a 6 groove front, and a 4 groove rear pulley. I'm thinking a PowerBond PB1117SS or ATI 917266 - probably go with the ATI since there are many threads discussing the PB 1117SS and how the pictures all over the net do not reflect the part you receive. I know why this happens but it shouldn't be so hard to validate what you getting when you place an order.

zimmej51 - I did a "limited" review of your build thread but didn't notice a p/n for your balancer selection - if it's easy to come up with I'd take it but if it's work don't bother. Thanks for your input guys.
77Blue the ATI damper I used came with the Vintage Air Front Runner kit for the LS3. The paperwork doesn't show the specific ATI partnumber. I believe the pulley is a Vintage Air part. I'll take a look at the damper tomorrow and do a little more digging and see if I can determine the ATI partnumber. I did use the ARP bolt instead of the torque to yield GM bolt. Torque is 235 ft lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts