Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im getting to the point where I am wanting to do a little work on my 72. I've had the car for a good six to eight months and I hadn't done much at all with it yet. But my question/thoughts are should I mod it or leave it all stock? Its nothing ultra rare but it is a nicely optioned car. Base small block, automatic, power steering, brakes, ac, and leather. Everything is pretty much 100% complete as is. Its not show car but everything is still in nice driver shape. However I was thinking about adding a few things to make it unique. Like number one I really like the bubble style rear tail lights, maybe add a nice cd player in it. I was also thinking about maybe a nice breather and some chrome valve covers. But like I said everything is pretty much 100% original. Should I just enjoy it as is and maybe just add one of the hidden style cd players in it? Or just keep all the original parts and make the car like I want it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Put the original parts aside and save them in case you sell the car. Then mod the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
:agree:
Mod it! It makes it even more fun to drive, and its more unique

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
:agree:

Those are all easily reversable bolt on mods. Just make sure you keep all the original parts in clearly labeled boxes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I asked my self the same question last year after I bought my 68. I wouldnt change a thing but I did keep all the original stuff.
Before

After

Hidden stereo with Ipod connection. CD is a thing of the past in my opinion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, okay fine you all twisted my arm adn talked me into it. :laughing:

I wonder if I post this on corvette forum if Ill get the same responce :nuts: :buhbye:

lowkeytow you got any better pictures of your radio I-pod hook up set up? I agree if I had something with sat. radio and an I-pod hook up I'd be set. Cd's are for cars that don't have I-pod IMO.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I wonder if I post this on corvette forum if Ill get the same responce :nuts: :buhbye:
Dont bother. You'd probably just get banned. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Since the car is essentially stock, keep it that way. There are less and less stock Corvettes every day.

If you want to make changes, my advice would be not to do anything you could undo when the time came. You can run bubble tail light lenses with not problems. I have a set on my '68 and love them. You could run with the stock open element 68-70 air cleaner, a genuine chrome top work of art.

Aftermarket chrome valve covers or LT-1/L-82 type aluminum look good.

If you go with an aftermarket stereo, my advice would be not to cut your original bezel. Keep your original and purchase an aftermarket reproduction already sized for the aftermarket stereo/cd.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I mean I wouldn't go too radical or do anything I couldn't change back. I was just thinking for the sake of shows would people enjoy looking at a 100% stock car or one that has some characther to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I faced the same decision myself last year. My car is basically the twin to yours except a 71...all original, 'numbers matching, FULLY documented ext ext. I left it like that for 4 yrs, finally I just got bored with it. After watching the car market DUMP and being as how mine was just a base model SB car, it was never gonna be worth any real money, I made the executive decision to mod it. I didn't cut the car up or do anything irreversible but...I wanted to build something that still appeared basically stock, yet hauled ass and had all the ammenities of a good driver....

Sooo...out came my original SB, in went a very stock looking 650hp 496", Vintage air, good sound system.....basically now it's a high 10 sec car that I can drive daily and looks relatively stock, or atleast period correct..... I saves every original part so the next sap can bolt that old stuff back on if he wants but until then, it's a cruise'n, rubber burning street car that I have a blast with...

No regrets what so ever....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I faced the same decision myself last year. My car is basically the twin to yours except a 71...all original, 'numbers matching, FULLY documented ext ext. I left it like that for 4 yrs, finally I just got bored with it. After watching the car market DUMP and being as how mine was just a base model SB car, it was never gonna be worth any real money, I made the executive decision to mod it. I didn't cut the car up or do anything irreversible but...I wanted to build something that still appeared basically stock, yet hauled ass and had all the ammenities of a good driver....

Sooo...out came my original SB, in went a very stock looking 650hp 496", Vintage air, good sound system.....basically now it's a high 10 sec car that I can drive daily and looks relatively stock, or atleast period correct..... I saves every original part so the next sap can bolt that old stuff back on if he wants but until then, it's a cruise'n, rubber burning street car that I have a blast with...

THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!! :partyon::partyon::partyon:

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts

Like I said, mod the **** out of it. :laughing:Nice work.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If you're not worried about storage, the cargo area will fit a nice box with the stereo built into it. I ran separate power to a stand-alone unit I built for my '74 in high school. All you need is a fuse and power. As for the other bolt-on cosmetics, I would do what I want with the car. As mentioned, save the old stuff.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'll add my two coins, what ever the value may be. I don't think you could be truly happy
with any car unless you personalize it the way you want it. Thats when the True value
of the car is recognized, by the huge grin on your face, because you have made
it your own.

It doesn't hurt to keep the parts for the next owner, but thats if you think you will ever sell.

Enjoy the car and have a great time making it YOUR car.

Riggs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have it in the rear storage compartment just behind the passenger seat. It sounds great and the fact that I didnt have to modify my dash made me happy. It has all the connections needed at this time. I would definately suggest it for anyone wanting to keep the stock consol.

I will get some pictures and post them but its going to be awhile since I just dropped her off at the shop yesterday to have a 572 CI Big Block planted in her. YIPEE

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah I mean I wouldn't go too radical or do anything I couldn't change back. I was just thinking for the sake of shows would people enjoy looking at a 100% stock car or one that has some characther to it.
I woudn't base any decisions on what you think other people would enjoy looking at. It's what you enjoy looking at that counts. At any given show there will be a few people who are horrified at any modification whatsoever to the car, but the majority of people at shows are just there to look at cool stuff, and if you have a mod that no one else has that will get attention. I have not heard anyone say anything derogatory about my car yet (maybe they were smart and kept their opinions to themselves). Most of the people who look into my engine bay are either just enjoying the overall look or pointing out the various mods in a positive manner. I get a lot of questions about the details of the LS1/T56 swap from people who would like to do one themselves.

:cheers:

Rick B.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts