Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently rear ended and bumper damage is covered by Hagerty , so far they have been great. I figured that since I am having the rear bumper done, I had might as well get the front bumper done. Paint is original paint and in good shape, but has a few dings from garage rash over the years so I asked the shop what it would take to deal with them. Their solution for pretty much any panel with a scratch is to paint the entire panel so it didn't take much to get to where they want to paint the entire car. I don't think they are really trying to rip me off, but can't dings be matched fairly well without a total repaint? Part of it is the usual road rash around fender flairs. Right rear fender flair was dinged in parking lot years ago and would require a bit of glass work, but it's not a huge crack. I could even foresee painting that qtr panel alone because the eye isn't going to pick up minor hue variations just because of its location. OR AM I FULL of "IT" ? Shop didn't know what Hagerty insurance is which made me a bit curious also. Friend of mine who is a good painter is working for them now and suggested them, so that's how I got there. I know this is all opinion based, but I wanted to ask here.... thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
The hardest part with paint matching is the amount of blending you have to do, not just blending the paint color itself before you spray but the area of the car that has to be painted to blend the new with the old. Sometimes it is just easier to paint the entire car if front, back and both sides need work.

A single repair, in your case the rear bumper cover could be blended and more than likely know one would every know, but front and rear with a few places along the side could stand out in the right lighting conditions.

Your other option would be have the bumper covers replaced and blended and ask for some touch up paint for the chipped areas if you feel there small enough to simply touchup.

I would also ask your friend that paints what he thinks, the painter is the guy that would know the reality of matching versus the shop trying to earn a living and prevent a come back from an unsatisfied customer.

Did Hagerty just write a check to you based on their appraisers estimate? I have Hagerty too and I'm just curious.

Thanks and good luck,

Eric

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will ask my painter friend when I get a chance. Yes Hagerty wrote a check, shop's estimate for what Hagerty will cover was twice the amount of the check. I called Hagerty and they said no problem, have the shop send their invoice and they would send a check for the difference. If that proves to be true, all is good. Never know till all money is sent and settled though. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts