Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've asked this question before but who makes a good kit for a decent price. Any tips when installing as this will be my first time. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Try and get the softest weatherstrip you can find. If your doing the entire Corvette it's gonna run about $350 for a complete kit. Tee tops and the vertical door window sections can be a pain. You may find you will need to adjust your window alignments after you install your new weatherstrip.

If you only need a few sections get the best stuff you can for the windows and tee tops.

Cheap hard weather stripping makes it a real SOB to get things to work out. No real low cost alternative here.

Check out this article:
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/body/keep-the-water-out.html

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Check with individual vendors as to what they carry. Corvette Rubber makes most of the weatherstripping the majority of the vendors sell.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just saw a clip on a show yesterday about installing weatherstripping.
First put a small bead of glue on the car and spread it out thinnly. Then do the same to the back of the weatherstripping.
Then wait 2-3 mintues for the glue to become extra tacky.
Once the glue is tacky, add another small bead of glue to teh weatherstripping and stick it in place.

Should do the job.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unpack the strips and lay them out for a few days so that un-natural shapes from shipping/storage can relax.

The sun is your friend. Install is best on a hot day, put the strips out in the sun for hours before install so they're nice and pliable. It helps if the car is sun-warmed too.

You might have to sun cycle the strips a few times if there's tough kinks or folds from shipping.

With adhesive, follow the instructions. It's along the lines of apply to both surfaces, allow to dry slightly, install. If you ever hear anyone say weatherstrip adhesive doesn't stick, they're probably just goop-n-stick instead of following instructions

good luck, it's one of those projects you don't regret.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
and have some rust primer and a good wire brush handy once it's removed. odds are you'll have some surface rust in areas..
and if some genius instlled it in the past you may need a good wire wheel and drill to get all the old glue and rubber off.

also be careful-- not sure of the stripping on your car but some have wires running through it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on doing it while I'm prepping the body for paint. My weatherstripping is so bad on the Dside that I can stick 4 fingers behind it and go on the outside of the glass.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Corvette Rubber Company makes the best.
Melrose T Top
<------Web sponsor over there sells it

or you can buy direct from http://www.corvette-rubber.com/

:thumbsup:

Stay away from all the other junk.
I went the cheap way the first time, ended up replacing all of it after two years. CRC was almost the same price as the cheap quality junk.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought mine through Ecklers a couple of years ago, used the black weather strip glue. The install was pretty staight forward.

The glue instructions recommend leaving the doors closed for a period....24hrs i think, I followed this and haven't had any delamination issues.

The T tops were a little fiddly, I recall some patience is requred.

Have fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts