Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just upstairs talking to my father while watching Beck on Fox News, and as of this upcoming January the government is banning CFL light bulbs cause they've been decalred as hazardous because they contain mercury. So now they're coming out with LED lights that will cost $50+ a bulb and that will be your only option. So start hoarding these CFL's while you can cause admist our national crisis the ****ing politicians have once again stuck another hot fire poker to those who can barely afford groceries, gas, and other needed items. We need to take back our country people or we won't have another chance. As for you that vote and defend Obama and his cronnies I hope you like your change cause it's coming rather nastly, but at the same time I hope you hate yourself for what you have done.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i went full CFL (except for decorative bathroom lghts) in '06 and only had to replace 1- it was defective. Still have all the old light bulbs since they were brand new- bought the house new.

I plan on getting a stock of regular and CFLs over the next few months myself.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:laughing:
Just wait until they find out that LED's are made from gallium arsenide...even more deadly than the mercury in the CFL's...

Then when the bulbs are in full production the cost of Gallium Arsenide will skyrocket because there will be a shortage, which will cause the price of all electronics to skyrocket. What about LED TV's, computer monitors, computers, etc...

These guys are getting crazy...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've tried a few of the CFL bulbs with mixed results. I've broken at least one and haven't died yet. I'll probably die of mercury poisoning when I'm 80.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
:laughing:
Just wait until they find out that LED's are made from gallium arsenide...even more deadly than the mercury in the CFL's...

Then when the bulbs are in full production the cost of Gallium Arsenide will skyrocket because there will be a shortage, which will cause the price of all electronics to skyrocket. What about LED TV's, computer monitors, computers, etc...

These guys are getting stupider than usual...
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Originally Posted by ArKay99

These guys are getting stupider than usual...

Not only that, but the process of manufacturing the gallium arsenide substrate is extremely chemical intensive. There are the etchants, which are deadly. With all those chemicals being produced to produce all those new leds the levels of arsenic, formaldehyde, sulphuric acid, etc. going into the environment will skyrocket...then we'll have to go back to burning wood....which will contribute to invisible ash in the polar regions, which is causing man-made global warming...

The further unintended consequences of liberal social engineering...yeah, those 'Ivy League' types are soooo smart...aren't they?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Not only that, but the process of manufacturing the gallium arsenide substrate is extremely chemical intensive. There are the etchants, which are deadly. With all those chemicals being produced to produce all those new leds the levels of arsenic, formaldehyde, sulphuric acid, etc. going into the environment will skyrocket...then we'll have to go back to burning wood....which will contribute to invisible ash in the polar regions, which is causing man-made global warming...

The further unintended consequences of fascist social engineering...yeah, those 'Ivy League' types are soooo smart...aren't they?

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Yeah I will probably stick with the standard incandecent light bulbs for a while, since they are dimable...and also since they are not being banned in the USA. They never were going to be banned, just the 100 watt bulbs that cannot be used in most light fixtures anyway, are being banned. All the light fixtures I have bought for the last 15 years all say maximum 60 wats. So what is being banned is something that you cannot even safely use in most light fixtures anyway.

Seriously how can you take someone like Beck seriuos when he spouts bullshit like this. Don't you people check other sources to see if what he says is true??? And when you see it is bullshit don't you get pissed at him for making you look stupid??? :crazy:

Of course even Beck isn't stupid enough to claim what the OP said he claimed....He just misheard and jumped to conclusions...

This is what Beck actualy said...

BECK: Last week, we had a story of the new CFL light bulbs. Oh, you can't get too close to them when you read. No, can't let your children get near them and of course, you should never leave your home in the hands of these things. If they break, you have to call HAZMAT.

[...]

But now we find out that it's -- a light bulb is going to cost $50? When 100 watt light bulbs become a luxury item, that seems that that would be, like, the time when the poor and the middle class, the Democrats keep saying they just love so much, they want to hold them and cuddle with them, they say, "Hey, I'm paying four bucks for a gallon of gas, twice as much as I used to pay for corn! My grocery bills are going through the roof. And now, you want me to sit at my kitchen table staring at my empty dinner plate in the dark as well?" [Fox News, Glenn Beck, 5/17/11]

Where exactly does Beck say that CFLs are going to be banned??? :crazy::crazy:****in:crazy:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I will probably stick with the standard incandecent light bulbs for a while, since they are dimable...and also since they are not being banned in the USA. They never were going to be banned, just the 100 watt bulbs that cannot be used in most light fixtures anyway, are being banned. All the light fixtures I have bought for the last 15 years all say maximum 60 wats. So what is being banned is something that you cannot even safely use in most light fixtures anyway.

Seriously how can you take someone like Beck seriuos when he spouts bullshit like this. Don't you people check other sources to see if what he says is true??? And when you see it is bullshit don't you get pissed at him for making you look stupid??? :crazy:

Of course even Beck isn't stupid enough to claim what the OP said he claimed....He just misheard and jumped to conclusions...

This is what Beck actualy said...

BECK: Last week, we had a story of the new CFL light bulbs. Oh, you can't get too close to them when you read. No, can't let your children get near them and of course, you should never leave your home in the hands of these things. If they break, you have to call HAZMAT.

[...]

But now we find out that it's -- a light bulb is going to cost $50? When 100 watt light bulbs become a luxury item, that seems that that would be, like, the time when the poor and the middle class, the Democrats keep saying they just love so much, they want to hold them and cuddle with them, they say, "Hey, I'm paying four bucks for a gallon of gas, twice as much as I used to pay for corn! My grocery bills are going through the roof. And now, you want me to sit at my kitchen table staring at my empty dinner plate in the dark as well?" [Fox News, Glenn Beck, 5/17/11]

Where exactly does Beck say that CFLs are going to be banned??? :crazy::crazy:****in:crazy:
He said in the US by this January. Know I didn't mishear it either as he said it before the quote posted above, but I'll recheck and if I misheard then I'm sorry. As far as me ****ing crazy well that's bullshit.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.

Related Slideshow

The Light Bulb of the Future

Edison's bulb may have finally met its match. Overcoming many of the shortcomings of fluorescent tubes, OLED technology is paving the way for the future. And it'll be here any day, experts say.

Creating good alternatives to the light bulb has been more difficult than expected, especially for the very bright 100-watt bulbs. Part of the problem is that these new bulbs have to fit into lamps and ceiling fixtures designed for older technology.

Compact fluorescents are the most obvious replacement, but they have drawbacks. They contain a small amount of toxic mercury vapor, which is released if they break or are improperly thrown away. They last longer than traditional bulbs but not as long as LEDs. Brighter models are bulky and may not fit in existing fixtures.

Another new lighting technology, organic light-emitting diodes, or OLEDs, has had problems reaching mass production. OLEDs are glowing sheets or tiles, rather than pinprick light sources, as LEDs are. They're used as vibrant color screens for smartphones, particularly from Samsung Electronics Co.

But making OLEDs that are big, bright, cheap and long-lasting enough for use as light sources has proved difficult, in part because they use chemicals that are sensitive to oxygen and spoil unless sealed very carefully.

Acuity Brands Inc., an Atlanta-based maker of light fixtures, will be showing some OLED panels at the show. They will go on sale next year, but the price will likely make them technology showpieces rather than candidates for everyday lighting.

LEDs are efficient, durable and produced in great quantities, but they're still expensive. An LED bulb can contain a dozen light-emitting diodes, or tiny semiconductor chips, which cost about $1 each.

The big problem with LEDs is that although they don't produce as much heat as incandescent bulbs, the heat they do create shortens the lifespan and reduces the efficiency of the chips. Cramming a dozen chips together in a tight bulb-shaped package that fits in today's lamps and sockets makes the heat problem worse. The brighter the bulb, the bigger the problem is.

The most powerful pear-shaped LED bulbs in stores today — the kind that fits existing lamps — produce light equivalent to a 60-watt bulb, though there are more powerful ones for directional or flood lighting.

Osram Sylvania, a unit of Germany's Siemens AG, said it has overcome the heat problem and will be showing a pear-shaped 100-watt-equivalent LED bulb this week. It doesn't have a firm launch date, but it usually shows products about a year before they hit store shelves.

Lighting Sciences Group Corp., a Satellite Beach, Fla.-based company that specializes in LED lighting, will be showing several 100-watt-equivalent prototypes, including some that solve the problem of cooling the LEDs by using microscopic devices that move air over the chips, like miniature fans.

Before the 100-watters, there will be 75-watters on the shelves this year. Osram Sylvania will be selling them at Lowe's starting in July. Royal Philips Electronics NV, the world's biggest lighting maker, will have them in stores late this year for $40 to $45.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering.

To stimulate LED development, the federal government has instituted a $10 million "L Prize" for an energy-efficient replacement for the 60-watt bulb. Philips is so far the only entrant in testing, and Eftekhar expects the company to win it soon. But Lighting Sciences Group plans its own entry, which it will demonstrate at the trade show.

Philips has been selling a 60-watt-equivalent bulb at Home Depot since December that's quite similar to the one submitted to the contest. But it's slightly dimmer, consumes 2 watts too much power and costs $40, whereas the L Prize target is $22. Sylvania sells a similar LED bulb at Lowe's, also for $40.

However, LED prices are coming down quickly. The DoE expects a 60-watt equivalent LED bulb to cost $10 by 2015, putting them within striking range of the price of a compact fluorescent bulb.

Bob Karlicek, the director of the Smart Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., thinks that price is achievable.

But, he said, "it's not necessarily clear to people in the lighting industry that LED chips were ever meant to go into a bulb."

What's really needed, he said, is a new approach to lighting — new fixtures and lamps that spread out the LEDs, avoiding the heat problem.

This is what he was talking about before what you had quoted from what Beck said. He mentioned CFL as well.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I got a buttload of LED lighting in my home that is working out real good.

No heat issues here.

They werent much more expensive than CFLs and will light up my home during a power outage with as little as a inverter and one common car battery.

also...

My pico reef uses 1.5 watts for coral growth
My 30 gallon reef uses 9 watts
My 90 gallon reef uses 100 watts even though I could get by with 40 watts.

These reef tanks are dependent on very bright light to keep the reef corals alive.

They were:
40 watts
300 watts
and 500 watts...

respectively.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I was just upstairs talking to my father while watching Beck on Fox News, and as of this upcoming January the government is banning CFL light bulbs cause they've been decalred as hazardous because they contain mercury. So now they're coming out with LED lights that will cost $50+ a bulb and that will be your only option. So start hoarding these CFL's while you can cause admist our national crisis the ****ing politicians have once again stuck another hot fire poker to those who can barely afford groceries, gas, and other needed items. We need to take back our country people or we won't have another chance. As for you that vote and defend Obama and his cronnies I hope you like your change cause it's coming rather nastly, but at the same time I hope you hate yourself for what you have done.

I cannot find anything on the Fox News site or the web on this.

Do you have any web links?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was something on Fox News website. I'm trying to find the episode as we speak and post the link. If I've made a mistake in it as being the replacement of CFL or incadescent then please find a link to show and I'll admit if I got some info wrong as I never intend to put out false accusations or propaganda. This for everyone. Dune I'll see if I can find the link so you/everyone can see or judge for themselves as to what I'm saying.

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
There was something on Fox News website. I'm trying to find the episode as we speak and post the link. If I've made a mistake in it as being the replacement of CFL or incadescent then please find a link to show and I'll admit if I got some info wrong as I never intend to put out false accusations or propaganda. This for everyone. Dune I'll see if I can find the link so you/everyone can see or judge for themselves as to what I'm saying.
You mean you might admit you were wrong? That's not very Republican of you.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

either way.

We mostly agree here that the ban on incadescent bulbs is nuts.
We've had a few threads on it.
At least it will only be a select few bulbs and not all of them.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
You mean you might admit you were wrong? That's not very Republican of you.
This is simply because we are not used to being wrong... it takes a bit for all involved on both spectrum's... to fully comprehend this anomaly.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not admitting to being wrong, but if I misunderstood or misheard some of the info and got things mixed up I'd want someone to correct me so that the truth is out and not some twisted up facts to suit ones agenda. It takes courage and shows a true man who can admit he's wrong vs. arguing his statement even if he knows it's not factual but based on his emotions and feelings of the subject.

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
I'm not admitting to being wrong, but if I misunderstood or misheard some of the info and got things mixed up I'd want someone to correct me so that the truth is out and not some twisted up facts to suit ones agenda. It takes courage and shows a true man who can admit he's wrong vs. arguing his statement even if he knows it's not factual but based on his emotions and feelings of the subject.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:laughing:It's cool man:laughing: I'll try to find the episode I saw, but so far the only ones I find are last weeks or older ones. Maybe they'll put it up tomorrow or sometime this week:laughing: The media is slow at putting up things and need to join here for fast "upload" time:laughing: Y'all have a goodnight now:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts