Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments on Tom's 1350 vs 1541. I know the 1350 are stronger, just wondering if any one had feedback.

Prices is only 400 or 500 more for the 1350 axles. Assuming I can use my current half shafts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im not sure if you are interpreting Tom's advertisement right or not but....

Here is the low down:

Tom has the 31 spline outer spindles in two different metal types.....One is 1541 steel and the other is the upgrade to 4340 steel for about $180 more. The standard 1541 outer spindles cost $897+ shipping....That includes the outer spindles, big nut and the 1350 flanges for halfshafts. I believe it also comes with larger bearing that is needed for the bigger shaft.

I just went through all of this myself but I just stuck with the standard 1541 axles. I just ran a 10.77 on them so.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure if you are interpreting Tom's advertisement right or not but....

Here is the low down:

Tom has the 31 spline outer spindles in two different metal types.....One is 1541 steel and the other is the upgrade to 4340 steel for about $180 more. The standard 1541 outer spindles cost $897+ shipping....That includes the outer spindles, big nut and the 1350 flanges for halfshafts. I believe it also comes with larger bearing that is needed for the bigger shaft.

I just went through all of this myself but I just stuck with the standard 1541 axles. I just ran a 10.77 on them so.....:thumbsup:

I looked at the on line catalog, and it said 1350 and 899$. Maybe a typo. I'll double check.

I know the top of the line axles he sells get good reviews, I just wasn't sure about the intermediate and entry level axles.

Sounds like you are pushing your new axles hard, so that is a good indicator.

I'll probably end up calling and talking to someone on their side.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, looks like a typo. On page 23 the heading says 1350 and the description says 1541. One is wrong, probably a cut and paste error.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
The outers are a 1350 forged 1541 axle, using 31 splines and larger bearings on the inner journal. They list for the $897.50 a pair in the catalog I have. I just setup a set of these for a guy in Fl a few weeks ago. You have to select the stud size as well. With these I usually go with the 1/2-20 studs and machine them to the length requested. They are ARP 3" studs.
Bearing setup is similar although I machined up a setup tool for them as the stock spindle setup tools are not the same.
If you speak with Tom tell him I said hi.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The outers are a 1350 forged 1541 axle, using 31 splines and larger bearings on the inner journal. They list for the $897.50 a pair in the catalog I have. I just setup a set of these for a guy in Fl a few weeks ago. You have to select the stud size as well. With these I usually go with the 1/2-20 studs and machine them to the length requested. They are ARP 3" studs.
Bearing setup is similar although I machined up a setup tool for them as the stock spindle setup tools are not the same.
If you speak with Tom tell him I said hi.:thumbsup:
Thanks Gary, if you are installing them, they must be a quality piece. Thanks for the warning on the bearing set up tool.

You also answered another question of mine regarding the studs to use.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I've setup a few of them so far, including a set on my son's 75. He beats the car up pretty good, the lastest was blowning up the 4 spd again. The diff and T/A's are solid-BUT anything will break given enough abuse!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
These may help

Stock vs Toms axles

Machined studs for stock wheels

Spindle side view

Inside Flange & Wilwood caliper

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can also get Toms spindles with stock wheel studs now......I don't think that has always been the case....but I recently had mine built with stock studs..

Just FYI.

Gary that trailing arm with the Wilwood looks AWESOME!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Hey Alan,
All the axles I used the past few years were setup for either 7/16 or 1/2 studs. I like to use the 1/2 for added strength but don't like the 3" studs sticking out. Once machined to size they fit pretty good on most wheels without a problem.
That particular arm I show used the new Wilwoods, they bolted on and are very light. I did another set using a smaller Wilwood that also worked well but required some machine mods to the brackets to fit the arms and front spindles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts