Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to help a neighbor with a 79 L82 that he inherited from his father
It has a Overheating Problem ,Imagine that ... It was original East Coast Car
It has had the radiator replaced with 4 core (new) New Hoses (All) It has Electirc Fan (just installed) and & blade Flex Fan ,new 190-195 thermostat
New radiator cap 14-18lb Timming is set @12 deg BTDC Idle is 1000 park and 850 Drive ,it has Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock 650 carb
no visable leaks the block has been flushed we have tried 50/50 coolant and 60/40 coolant mix still it will run at 220 and then shoot to 280 plus Pegged out
Temp the only thing we have replaced is the water pump thats next .We have tried different timing settings as well done the ol'e pop the #1 Plug route as well
and then checked and set the distributor ,the heads have recently been reworked the spark plugs are The factory listed as well .I need help to help my neighbor Have i missed anything ? :smack :bang :drink: Please help thank you
Gary AKA Toohot79L82

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Is the bottom radiator hose a factory type with the metal coil inside? The coil keeps the hose from collapsing from the suction of the water pump. Does the heater work? If not, that's a sign of an air bubble in the system. Do you know what the coolant capacity is versus what you actually used to fill the system? You might drain the system through the radiator and also through the lowest block plug you can find to make sure the systems is really drained. Re-fill it, keeping track of how much fluid is actually used to assure yourself that the system is full.

Radiator air flow blocked? Is the fan shroud in place? Are all the shroud to radiator carrier seals in place? Is the undercar lip spoiler in place?

Is the temperature sending unit good? Are there other signs that the system is actually overheating? High overhood temps? Overflow can burping?

Is the timing 12 degrees with the vacuum advance disconnected?

You don't want to run this engine at these high temps any more than you have too because the oil is going to break down. Water Wetter or a similar problem may help by 10 degrees or so, but that's not the answer.

Such high temps seem like there is an air pocket in the engine. Come back with some answers.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had the same problem with my 79 . East Coast also. It would overheat for nothing. A guy at a Corvette Rally told me, Ray put straight water in that radiator during the summer and it will not get hot on you anymore. I thought, is this guy makin fun of me or what? So when I got home after almost not getting it started at the pump when toppin the tank off, I proceeded to take all the coolant out of the engine. Loosened the clamp on the bottom hose and stuck a screwdriver between the hose and the neck of the radiator spout and proceeded to take it all out. I had also read where when you fill one up do not put tap water in it. Instead Distilled Water. It has no iron in the water to rust the radiator. After I drained all the water from the radiator I then tightened the hose the clamp on the hose and filled her up with water and when it got filler neck I started the vehicle and let it circulate in the engine until the water reached the top of the filler spout and capped it and parked it outside on an August day . About 90 degrees out with no wind whatsoever. I left it running for almost an hour in the hot sun with the hood closed tighly. I went back in about Oh say 30 minutes and looked through the back glass and that needle was sitting on 190. High idle and markin 190 on the gauge. So hot that I had tried to open the door and burned my hand on the chrome latch. Had to put a pair of cotton gloves on to open the door. After an hour I opened the door and looked at the gauge and it was still on 190. PROBLEM FIXED. That old guy was right after all. She used to peg about the same temp near the red mark all the time. I changed the lower and upper when I redid the radiator housing and the radiator. This is with a clutch fan. In the summertime I put coolant in it again 50/50 and it is that way now but not for long. Summer is getting here fast. Fixed that problem. She has not gotten hot since then. Tell him if she over heats to run the heater on High and open the windows and the temp will drop far enuf to get him to a service station or a shade tree or home. The first problem with that 79 solved. The mystery continues..... :excited: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Also, it does not hurt to pop the hood while driving. Hot air rises and the clean air will push the hot air out from under the hood that way. :bang Forgot!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You are right on with running the heater. I did that also. And I have not had a problem since then. Runs 190 all the time. I forgot to tell him that. I ran it long enuf until the inside looked hot as hell and then turned it off to see if it would heat up with the heater off. She stayed a steady 190 and before I did that, it was always riding that red mark on the gauge. Did not like that at all. I listened to that guy and it worked. I changed the thermostat just because I was changing the upper and lower hoses during the radiator rebuild. Seems these Cars are never ever done whether the fat lady sings or not. :bang :partyon:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE:RE:TooHot79C3

Thanks to All for the Responses ! WE'll Give em a shot and see what happens
in the meantime I Believe it dont Matter as to how much you do know,because you still learn something new (even if forgotten) everyday,:partyon::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re:corvette7579

Corvette7579
Thanks for the update to the Members.Tripod.L82.com
Got Lazy today so Tomorrow is the Tackle day for the Water pump.
And I will remind George about running the heater to burp the core.
As Stated the Vette is his But the 68 Camaro SS 396 4spd M22 and 4:56
posi Resto project is Mine .IS it a genuine SS? Beats me it's just a Camaro
as far as i'm concerned and I did Give it to my Brother,Have the engine in the Crate in California and it now has Stroker 383 4bolt main Scatt motor with Dart Sportsman heads ported By me With 2.06 I and 1.65 E with portmatched Edelbrock and Holley 750
Cam is Duntov 5052 also running 1:65 :1 Roller Rockers
also Traded off the 4:56's for 3:08's and An Advanced Racing Built 700R4 with B&M shift lock out and Over ride the car is very Touchy
as to the HP who know's Havent Had it Dyno'd ,Besides it is sure strong enough to do major twist and wheel stands What a handful .Eh ! it's not a corvette mabey one day I will have one

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That Camaro I assure you is worth way more than that 79 corvette unless it has some eminities that the others do not have. was stock too. Mabey I will send the 79 to a tuner and let him get as much ponies as he can and put me a rocket can in the back and giver some boost and then I might get er done.
Tell your neighbor not to loose faith in that 79. Once he gets her done she will love him for it. Or put stratches on your head like mine did me the days she was mad at me for something or something she was not familiar with. I changed the rear springs and bolts and bushings and painted her undercarriage and then the scars healed from the spring bolts. Picky . What mine is. Tell him to spank his on the hiney or pinch her there and she will understand. I used to threaten her with a set of numbers I got off an e-bay auction. Then she left me alone about what I was doing. Only mods are a holley intake and an edelbrock carberator and a tranny shift kit. Running 255/15 in the rear (bout as much as I can get under there without flaring) and 225/15 on the front. Seems she ran better with all the same size tires or mabey that is just my imagination. I have good year eagles on the front and I do not like them. Rough riding. Bf Goodrich rear and they ride good. The highways around my area are not good and cause fiberglass stress and that is not good for one. So I am eventually going to get rid of the front ones and put a softer compound tire front and rear. Was gonna do some more mods but the price of fuel made me eliminate that thought immediately. At least for now. I had missed the sale of an LS1 at the local boneyard for 500 bucks. Boy was I ticked off. I was getting ready to paint her last year right before the hurricane came here. Now she is in the scuff stage and other things have happened to stop the finish product. Tired of being on hold. Gonna try and get her painted this year if possible. Can't do the darn interior till the body is painted right. Had even priced a crate motor from GM after finding out I had a bad cam. That was not what I needed to hear from the mechanic who did the bleed down. Then all these guys telling me to not do the crate motor and fix the one in there. So she is the way she is for now until I can decide what to do. You two keep the shiney side up and have a nice week end. I am sure we are lookin at rain all week end here. Water World again and knee deep in grass. :bang :smack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts