Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was warned.....

Had the car out for a little test drive and decided to open er ALL the way up.... was running hi rpms in 6th gear (near redline) under 9 lbs of boost....and she was pulling really hard as i flew past 300kph. I must have been doing 320kph + when all of a sudden a pesky dash light warning comes on saying "low engine oil pressure" yikkess (i said as i quickly slowed down....) Turns out my engine had sucked up all of the oil out of the oil pan and the top end of my motor was not getting enuf lubricatiuon.... plus the fact that those stupid little stock hydraulic lifters couldn't take the hi rpm boost - so....one lifter collapsed and buckled the head of the piston - not enough clearance under such extreme boost!... BIG BUMMER! Got an entire new set of LS7 lifter being installed which are said to withstand the pressure thru to about 8500 rpm.... we'll see.

regards,

Speed Racer (aka Doc).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well i was warned.....

Had the car out for a little test drive and decided to open er ALL the way up.... was running hi rpms in 6th gear (near redline) under 9 lbs of boost....and she was pulling really hard as i flew past 300kph. I must have been doing 320kph + when all of a sudden a pesky dash light warning comes on saying "low engine oil pressure" yikkess (i said as i quickly slowed down....) Turns out my engine had sucked up all of the oil out of the oil pan and the top end of my motor was not getting enuf lubricatiuon.... plus the fact that those stupid little stock hydraulic lifters couldn't take the hi rpm boost - so....one lifter collapsed and buckled the head of the piston - not enough clearance under such extreme boost!... BIG BUMMER! Got an entire new set of LS7 lifter being installed which are said to withstand the pressure thru to about 8500 rpm.... we'll see.
regards,
Speed Racer (aka Doc).
Holy smoley! :surprised That's a friggen bummer.
I'm running 7 lbs and peaking at 9 lbs but haven't run at that fast of mph/kph. I changed out the valve springs, retainers & pushrods and so far so good.

Good luck in the future....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy smoley! :surprised That's a friggen bummer.
I'm running 7 lbs and peaking at 9 lbs but haven't run at that fast of mph/kph. I changed out the valve springs, retainers & pushrods and so far so good.

Good luck in the future....
thanks. changing out those components will make all the difference in the world - good on ya!. when i get my new warhawk engine - i will also be 'bulletproofing it" along with the crank!

Doc.

·
Registered
628 Posts
do you have a vid of this?

I guess this is ther reason the Z06 uses dry sump. It is not as much for cornering as it is for with standing the high 7000 rpm red line. That is very intresting.

Well nice to see the car was hauling ass

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
This is totally off subject, but I am loving your hood!:thumbsup:

I just ordered mine today through Starcraft. Do your ground effects hit every little thing? Ever since my core support was lowered for the charger it hits everything! My husband put the Pro Charger in for me and said it is somewhat lower now. Is there a way to bring it back up again so I can get the ground effects too?:huh: Was there much prep involved with the hood, alignment ect.?

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Well i was warned.....

regards,

Speed Racer (aka Doc).
did you change your rear end gear at all? 320 kph is about 200mph and isnt that attainable in 5th? anyway cool stuff thats really fast

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you change your rear end gear at all? 320 kph is about 200mph and isnt that attainable in 5th? anyway cool stuff thats really fast
Nope - the more breakable HP you have and the more rpms you can turn the higher your top end - gearing it out will certainly help but no i have not done this YET....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is totally off subject, but I am loving your hood!:thumbsup:

I just ordered mine today through Starcraft. Do your ground effects hit every little thing? Ever since my core support was lowered for the charger it hits everything! My husband put the Pro Charger in for me and said it is somewhat lower now. Is there a way to bring it back up again so I can get the ground effects too?:huh: Was there much prep involved with the hood, alignment ect.?
A: I have just a hair under 3" of clearance below my front valence and so i am very careful (and angle the car at 35-45 degrees ) when i am entering/exiting driveways and going over speedbumps..... If your'e not - you will rip it right off in a heartbeat! Don't know what you've done to your core support but i had PFADT coilovers installed and lowered to the max. their ride height is adjustable (manually). Re the Hood - moderate3 amount..... we found that the hinges provided to us by Lingenfelter were too short and did not have enuf 'bite' so when we attached them to the hood brackets they readily stripped and worked themselves loose -causing the hood to mis-align. we had to re-inforce this area and once this was done we had no propblems. I also added in a black mesh grill inside the opening for the hood scoop.

hope this helps.

Doc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have a vid of this?

I guess this is ther reason the Z06 uses dry sump. It is not as much for cornering as it is for with standing the high 7000 rpm red line. That is very intresting.

Well nice to see the car was hauling ass

No vid but next week i can take pics of the broken bits and then post pics.

Doc

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
A: I have just a hair under 3" of clearance below my front valence and so i am very careful (and angle the car at 35-45 degrees ) when i am entering/exiting driveways and going over speedbumps..... If your'e not - you will rip it right off in a heartbeat! Don't know what you've done to your core support but i had PFADT coilovers installed and lowered to the max. their ride height is adjustable (manually). Re the Hood - moderate3 amount..... we found that the hinges provided to us by Lingenfelter were too short and did not have enuf 'bite' so when we attached them to the hood brackets they readily stripped and worked themselves loose -causing the hood to mis-align. we had to re-inforce this area and once this was done we had no propblems. I also added in a black mesh grill inside the opening for the hood scoop.

hope this helps.

Doc.
Thanks for the info! BTW does the hood come with a honeycomb insert for the opening? ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info! BTW does the hood come with a honeycomb insert for the opening? ;)
see the bottom of my last response..... i guess you could add what ever design you wanted into this opening.

Doc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well i was warned.....

regards,

Speed Racer (aka Doc).
If I am understanding you correctly, you had valve float and a valve hit the piston. If that was the case you should consider HD push rods as well as a set of valve springs that can withstand high amounts of boost.

However, may I suggest another cause for the failure ......... Detonation as a a result of over boost, lean fueling, incorrect tuning or inadequate cooling.

Detonation will normally cause mechanical damage. It can break spark plug electrodes, the porcelain around the plug, broken ring lands or cause a fracture of intake or exhaust valves. You may also see pitting of the piston crown. Once the broken piston is removed you should see evidence of overheating like a scuffed skirt. In any case I hope this helps good luck with the repair. :cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I run my motor at high RPM at the track with no boost. I run a large LPE Oil Cooler and bypass block that adds a quart of oil and lots of flow(+10lb oil presure). I add an additional quart above the line as Chevy recommends for Road Racing giving me 8 quarts in play for track days. I am running LPE Stage III heads and upgraded springs and valves.

I would recommend a blower cam and dual valve springs for a solid top end. The blower cam profile will give you more power with less boost. Also an external cooler will add additional oil for those high speed blasts. Keep in mind if you are going anything but dead straight at that speed you oil is subject to inertial forces. Add extra oil for those blasts

:cheers:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I run my motor at high RPM at the track with no boost. I run a large LPE Oil Cooler and bypass block that adds a quart of oil and lots of flow(+10lb oil presure). I add an additional quart above the line as Chevy recommends for Road Racing giving me 8 quarts in play for track days. I am running LPE Stage III heads and upgraded springs and valves.

I would recommend a blower cam and dual valve springs for a solid top end. The blower cam profile will give you more power with less boost. Also an external cooler will add additional oil for those high speed blasts. Keep in mind if you are going anything but dead straight at that speed you oil is subject to inertial forces. Add extra oil for those blasts

:cheers:
midnight902. i have an intercooler to cool the supercharged air coming from the blower so i have no room for an extra oil cooler. However, my mechanic will be installing a blower cam with new cts lifters, heavy duty cts springs and new pistons. he is also punching bigger holes in my oil pan so that oil can be circulated more efficiently. new high flow heads (435cfm) and all other forged internals are going to be added to the new warhawk block. thanks for your feedback.

ajmw

·
Registered
315 Posts
if you don't have an ALKY system, IMHO you should add this to your build... IAT's are soooooooooooo important...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I am understanding you correctly, you had valve float and a valve hit the piston. If that was the case you should consider HD push rods as well as a set of valve springs that can withstand high amounts of boost.

However, may I suggest another cause for the failure ......... Detonation as a a result of over boost, lean fueling, incorrect tuning or inadequate cooling.

Detonation will normally cause mechanical damage. It can break spark plug electrodes, the porcelain around the plug, broken ring lands or cause a fracture of intake or exhaust valves. You may also see pitting of the piston crown. Once the broken piston is removed you should see evidence of overheating like a scuffed skirt. In any case I hope this helps good luck with the repair. :cheers:
Your keen insight tells me that more than likely you've "been there, done that". Your first assumption was bang on my friend! - valve float caused piston damage (on the engines torque side (left bank) b/c we all know that the piston clearances with the valves, springs and hydraulic lifters of these stock heads cannot handle sustained rpms at or above redline - especially under max. boost.... I compounded this problem when i had both my rev and max speed limiters removed.

My mechanic had a good laugh (at my expense) over your second comment b/c like you he also thought that perhaps detonation caused the damage.. especially since my MAF sensors have been acting up recently and the car has been idling funny.... but once we had the heads off he saw NO such tell tale signs.

Until i get the new LS7X block installed, I'm going to try and prevent such a re-occurence with my LS2 by; 1) placing new higher revving cts lifters and cts valve springs 2) turning down the boost (just a wee bit) and 3) shifting gears at slightly lower rpms!

Appreciate your feedback - thanks.

Doc

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your keen insight tells me that more than likely you've "been there, done that". Your first assumption was bang on my friend! - valve float caused piston damage (on the engines torque side (left bank) b/c we all know that the piston clearances with the valves, springs and hydraulic lifters of these stock heads cannot handle sustained rpms at or above redline - especially under max. boost.... I compounded this problem when i had both my rev and max speed limiters removed.

My mechanic had a good laugh (at my expense) over your second comment b/c like you he also thought that perhaps detonation caused the damage.. especially since my MAF sensors have been acting up recently and the car has been idling funny.... but once we had the heads off he saw NO such tell tale signs.

Until i get the new LS7X block installed, I'm going to try and prevent such a re-occurence with my LS2 by; 1) placing new higher revving cts lifters and cts valve springs 2) turning down the boost (just a wee bit) and 3) shifting gears at slightly lower rpms!

Appreciate your feedback - thanks.

Doc

Thanks,

I have some experience, I installed a paxton on my 89 Stang in 91 and finally destroyed the motor after I upgraded to a Vortech in 94. Stock Ford blocks can not take more than 500 HP for any length of time. :laughing: I then built a 306 and reinstalled the Vortech which I used as my daily driver until I got my 05 Vette. A conservative tune in addition to a reasonable boost level & air temp should help, good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts