Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my C6 Z51 A6 Vert to Willow Springs race track yesterday. It was my first chance to see what I could do with this car.

I can summarize the experience in one word....AWESOME.

After a few laps to figure out which gear on which part of the track, the paddle shifters worked great. The upshifts were quick and crisp and the downshifts were nearly seamless. They take a little getting used to if you've always raced a manual (as I have), and I did hit the downshift button several times when I meant to hit the upshift, but by the end of the day those mistakes were rare.

The Z51 is well balanced and allowed me to pull 0.96 lateral g's in turn 2.....and there may even be a little more in it! (I like to approach the limit slowly to prevent off course excursions)

The brakes worked great and never faded even at the end of a 20 minute session.

No problems with oil and coolant temps.

This car is just as much at home on the race track as it is on the street.

I've been in C3's, C4's, and C5's at this track and this car has been the easiest for me to drive fast.

For those who have never taken their C6 to a road race track, I highly recommend it. It's a great way to find out the capabilities of both you and your car.

Oh, I almost forgot....26 mpg driving to and from the track.

Fun factor for this car...off the scale!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, your lucky. I would realy like do that too.

Do you have a roll cage inside your car for it to be allowed on the racetrack? It seems thats always a rule. One which I will not add to my car.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Corvete said:
Did you have to install a roll bar to run your car at Willow Springs?
nope:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
You said your upshifts were quick and crisp. At what rpm do you have to upshift from 1st to 2nd if you are at WOT? If I don't upshift at 5500 rpm, I will bump the rev limiter at 6500 rpm. For example, if I hit it at 6000 rpm (as indicated on the tach), it will hit the rev lmiiter before it shifts into second. Absolutely drives me crazy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I don't have a roll bar. I was restricted to the novice group for that reason......it didn't slow me down.......unless I hit some traffic. (They ran 3 groups advanced, intermediate and novice)

There were no stopwatches allowed so I have no idea what my lap times were. They didn't want you to run all out so I was running 80% to 90%.

I was hitting 125 mph down the backstretch and 130 mph on the front stretch. Through turn 2 at 81 mph and turn 8 at 105 mph.

There is more left in the car, but I didn't want to push it since it was my first time with this car on a track.

Once you're on the track you never use first gear. I was upshifting from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 at 6000 and never bumped the rev limiter. I know what you mean about the 1 to 2 shift, mine is the same way. I think the rpms climbing so fast in first is the problem. I just remember to hit the upshift a little sooner when I'm in first gear.

Its a great car to drive fast. If you get the opportunity to go to the track and try it out......TAKE IT!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm about to take my car to the track this weekend for NASA HPDE 1. Any recommendation on what to take beside a quart of oil and windshield cleaner???

I'm going to Phoenix Internation Raceway road course.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The oil and glass cleaner are good ideas. I usually check the car over before I leave for the track (PS fluid, Auto Trans Fluid, Coolant, etc.).

I put Rain-X on my windshield and it seems to help keep the windshield cleaner as well as working great in the rain.

Air your tires up to at least 33 psi all around so you can adjust them at the track. At Willow Springs I ran 31 psi in the front and 29 psi in the rear cold. At the end of the session the left front was up to 41 (it works the hardest at WS) and the rears were up to 36 or 37.

Other than that, go out and enjoy yourself! If you're like me you'll have trouble wiping that smile off your face at the end of the session!

·
Registered
192 Posts
geryz said:
Once you're on the track you never use first gear. I was upshifting from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 at 6000 and never bumped the rev limiter. I know what you mean about the 1 to 2 shift, mine is the same way. I think the rpms climbing so fast in first is the problem. I just remember to hit the upshift a little sooner when I'm in first gear.

Its a great car to drive fast. If you get the opportunity to go to the track and try it out......TAKE IT!
Hey, thanks, at least I know I'm not the only one. It's two fold with the 1 to 2 shift, first the tach is lagging and second the shift does lag. I hear they are going to take some lag out in 2007, just hope it is done with software so we can upgrade.

Thanks for the great write-up, sounds like you had fun!
Glenn

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad you enjoyed yourself.
I have got to get out there some time soon.
Before my cars are obsolete..........

Regards
Bruce1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts