Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of tearing out my rear storage compartment. I found the the main frame is broken on both the outer edges by the first rivet. So I need a new main frame, but I've never done rivets before. Pop rivets I've done, but not the ones that look like these Rear Storage Door Hinge Rivet Set.

Has anyone done their own rivets on these rear doors? What tools do I need to accomplish this?

I'm also considering just buying the completed assembly as my fiber boards swelled everywhere around where the screws go in the side.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
From the picture, I can't tell if those are solid rivets or hollow shanks. Solids, all you need is a set and a bucking bar- the set goes on the head and the bucking bar goes on the small end- the tail. AS you strike the set, the bucking bar swells the tail.
Hollow shanks, basically the same, except the buck end has a point that opens the end and spreads it out to hold the pieces together.
It can be done with a couple of hammers- or anything that can grab both sides at the same time and squeeze.

On the other side, if the wood in the doors is split from the screws, it's near impossible to fix short of making new wood doors and then covering them.

You can see the tools you need to set rivets- and how they work.
http://www.ehow.com/way_6550657_aircraft-rivet-installation.html

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell either if they're hollow or not.

I planned on getting new fiberboard, trim, and the main frame to do it myself. I have the carpet already (new) and can reuse the hinges on the old main frame.

I know a new cut-pile completed set goes for about $170. I can get the 4 pieces (bezel, frame, board, hinge) for about $109 at CorvetteCentral. But I'd need to find the proper set and bar for doing these. The price of the tools plus my time, I may just be better off getting an already completed one. :huh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts