Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gasoline currently above $3 per gallon nationwide and economists expecting that price to rise even further in 2011, America should be getting serious about producing more of its own resources. But instead of focusing on how to bring more relief to American motorists, President Obama has imposed massive new regulations, restrictions, and even threatened higher taxes on American energy, all of which negatively impact domestic production.

What follows is a list of the five most egregious actions on the part of the Obama administration that have contributed to higher gasoline prices and greater dependence on foreign dictators for our energy:

Cancelling existing permits: Immediately after taking office in 2009, President Obama's handpicked Secretary of the Department of Interior, Ken Salazar, canceled 77 leases for oil and gas drilling in Utah. The fact that this was one of the administration's first regulatory decisions meant that American energy companies were immediately concerned about their ability to produce oil and gas in the future, injecting a level of uncertainty into the market that moves the country away from job creation and economic recovery. One year later, the administration canceled 61 more leases, this time in Montana, as part of President Obama's war on global warming.

Needlessly delaying offshore leasing: Not long after Ken Salazar canceled the Utah leases, he decided to extend for another six months the public comment period for new offshore drilling. As allowed by law, the public had already been given 45 days to comment on the federal government's pending lease sale to offshore energy producers, after which time the administration would begin developing plans for new leasing. But the Obama administration was so opposed to oil and gas drilling that it wanted to drag the process out further, which meant offshore producers would have to wait even longer before they could start drilling. This was in addition to the 25 years that no drilling was allowed for most of the Outer Continental Shelf due to a congressional moratorium that ended in 2008. Adding insult to injury is that the additional public comments for which the White House asked actually supported expanding offshore drilling by a two-to-one margin, a fact that the administration deliberately kept hidden from the American people. Put simply, the Obama administration did not want any additional offshore drilling, and the fact that the public overwhelmingly opposed them wasn't going to stop them from pursuing their ideological goal.

Pushing for more taxes on American energy: When the Pelosi-led House of Representatives passed its massive cap and trade energy tax, the Obama administration celebrated. After all, it was then-candidate Barack Obama who happily declared that under his plan of cap and trade, energy prices would "necessarily skyrocket." Although his target was primarily the coal industry (which suffered badly in 2010 under President Obama's watch), imposing a tax on carbon dioxide would also heavily impact oil and natural gas production. In fact, there was a new gasoline tax in the most recent cap and trade bill in the Senate, legislation President Obama helped negotiate and would have happily signed had both chambers of Congress passed it. A study from Harvard University found that a carbon cap that was less stringent than what Congress was considering could send gasoline prices soaring to $7 per gallon. When all efforts to pass cap and trade legislatively failed miserably, Obama ignored the message -- that Americans strongly oppose new energy taxes -- and moved instead to impose a carbon cap administratively through the EPA. Such regulation targets all sectors of the economy, including transportation and oil production and refining, which ultimately means higher gasoline prices at the pump.

Imposing a moratorium on oil and gas drilling: Immediately after the Gulf oil spill began in April 2010, the White House began soliciting input from drilling experts in the National Academy of Engineering as to what the proper response should be. The Obama administration then imposed a six-month moratorium on offshore drilling, claiming that the experts they consulted had advised them to take such an action. Except they hadn't. The experts stated publicly that they never supported such a moratorium, and that the White House had manipulated their opinions and expertise solely to advance a political agenda. Because the administration had no basis for its ban, two federal courts stated on three separate occasions that the moratorium was unjust. The Obama administration ignored the experts and the courts and kept the ban in place; Salazar said that lifting the moratorium would make him "uncomfortable." Such a decision ultimately led drillers to relocate their rigs (and hundreds or even thousands of good paying jobs) to other parts of the world, and the long-term impact on domestic production will no doubt be devastating for consumers.

Issuing a new offshore drilling ban: Within weeks of announcing that the moratorium had come to an end, the White House announced a new executive ban on offshore drilling, a ban that is almost identical to what was in place until 2008 when gasoline prices began their climb past $4 per gallon. Amid mounting grassroots opposition to that ban -- led by American Solutions' 1.5 million-member "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" effort -- then-President Bush lifted the executive ban in July 2008, and Congress ended its own quarter-century long legislative ban a few months later, after which gasoline prices plummeted. But President Obama completely ignored that lesson (and the pain consumers felt) and has set the stage for a repeat of the 2008 gasoline crisis by trying his hand at imposing his own ban. Meanwhile, in the few areas where the White House approves drilling, the administration has completely halted new permitting, a de facto moratorium in and of itself. All told, the Energy Information Administration projects that offshore oil production will decline in 2011 by about 220,000 barrels per day (before the Obama administration's bans, the EIA had actually predicted an increase in production for 2011.)

Why has President Obama led the charge to restrict American energy? The answer is elusive, and it's anyone's guess what his administration will do (if anything) to fight for lower gasoline prices. But if past statements from him and his administration are any indication, the U.S. could be stuck (absent major legislative and regulatory changes) with prohibitively high gasoline prices: Then-Senator Obama said on the campaign trail in 2008 that he doesn't object to high oil prices as long as they come about gradually, and Secretary of Energy Steven Chu once famously said he hoped the U.S. would "boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," where prices are currently about $7 per gallon.

http://www.americansolutions.com/drill/2011/01/top-five-things-obama-has-done-to-raise-gasoline-prices.php

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah... I agree that the global warming thing might be overstretched and over stressed. The world has died before...multiple times in extinction level events and life still springs back to life. But I think the gas price issue is something that really gives way to how we Americans are in general. I will generalize here because for the most part everyone thinks 3 bucks for gas is high.

The average day American wants gas prices to go down, but the average American isnt willing to be more responsible. I would argue driving a car by yourself for the majority of the cars life (even if its a really good MPG car) is irresponsible. Americans CONSUME, and not just fuel but everything and its a serious problem (Just look at the overweight and obesity charts for our states). It doesnt matter if we drilled until we are blue in the face...the problem isnt the prices, or the lack of internal energy sources, its that our population is growing and consuming more and more. I think the biggest problem is that this earth has limited supplies of everything...but the consumer mindset is bound by nothing.

Americans want to complain about high gas prices...fine. But its not the problem. We are. I have 2 vehicles, the vette and a duallie, and yeah I drive them by myself most the time...Im part of the problem, but at least Im willing to admit it and not complain about it. The real solution would be to lower consumption, but in this free country, who the hell wants to do that...

EDIT: I think high gas prices are a good thing, it forces people to come up with new ideas for energy, and to consume less fuel. And for us who can afford not just 3 dollars, but 4 5 and even 6 dollars a gallon for gas...we are just assholes :)

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brother... stop that. Don't allow "them" to make you feel bad for your successes. You go right on ahead and consume as much as you can muster. It matters not to the planet, as we inhabit less then 2% of it's total surface. As some point, thousands of years from now... it will spit us out. No amount of conservation will stop or prolong this from happening. Take a look at Japan or Pompey.... or any other natural disaster. Do you truly believe the planet gives two shits if you recycle or drive a hybrid ?

Go right on ahead, bro... it's OK.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah... I agree that the global warming thing might be overstretched and over stressed. The world has died before...multiple times in extinction level events and life still springs back to life. But I think the gas price issue is something that really gives way to how we Americans are in general. I will generalize here because for the most part everyone thinks 3 bucks for gas is high.

The average day American wants gas prices to go down, but the average American isnt willing to be more responsible. I would argue driving a car by yourself for the majority of the cars life (even if its a really good MPG car) is irresponsible. Americans CONSUME, and not just fuel but everything and its a serious problem (Just look at the overweight and obesity charts for our states). It doesnt matter if we drilled until we are blue in the face...the problem isnt the prices, or the lack of internal energy sources, its that our population is growing and consuming more and more. I think the biggest problem is that this earth has limited supplies of everything...but the consumer mindset is bound by nothing.

Americans want to complain about high gas prices...fine. But its not the problem. We are. I have 2 vehicles, the vette and a duallie, and yeah I drive them by myself most the time...Im part of the problem, but at least Im willing to admit it and not complain about it. The real solution would be to lower consumption, but in this free country, who the hell wants to do that...

EDIT: I think high gas prices are a good thing, it forces people to come up with new ideas for energy, and to consume less fuel. And for us who can afford not just 3 dollars, but 4 5 and even 6 dollars a gallon for gas...we are just assholes :)
Since are willing too pay more for gas , YOU can start next
time you fill up by giving the gas station employee a size -able tip . In most of Europa gas prices are more than double then over here , that have not made them come up whit any new
way too move theirs cars .

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Since are willing too pay more for gas , YOU can start next
time you fill up by giving the gas station employee a size -able tip . In most of Europa gas prices are more than double then over here , that have not made them come up whit any new
way too move theirs cars .
Europe is way ahead of us in alternative energy.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
There are no shortages of oil right now. So why do prices go up??? You can hide your head in the sand and blame the evil Obama....but it won't do anything but make you feel good to think you know the source of the problem.

The real problem is the out of control speculation on commodities. This increases the price of everything by up to 60%, just to put some extra cash in the pockets of the assholes at AIG and Goldman Sacks. You realy want to blame Obama for something???? Blame him for not putting a stop to these assholes. Blame him for bailing these assholes out. Blame him for having the very people who designed these rippoffs of the american people on his staff. But blaming him for not allowing drilling while thousands of leases go unused, or for stopping a certain form of drilling until a good mechanism for stopping spills just after the biggest spill in history, is planned and ready to impliment, is stupid and unproductive. You need to understand the real problem if you want to change things. Imagine your driving your vette. You satrt hearing a loud squeel every time you hit your barkes. your buddy tells you you need to change the oil. You do so and the squeeling is still there. You failed to identify the true problem so you fixed nothing. It is the same with our high oil prices. Lets not change the oil to fix bad brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
There are no shortages of oil right now. So why do prices go up??? You can hide your head in the sand and blame the evil Obama....but it won't do anything but make you feel good to think you know the source of the problem.

The real problem is the out of control speculation on commodities. This increases the price of everything by up to 60%, just to put some extra cash in the pockets of the assholes at AIG and Goldman Sacks. You realy want to blame Obama for something???? Blame him for not putting a stop to these assholes. Blame him for bailing these assholes out. Blame him for having the very people who designed these rippoffs of the american people on his staff. But blaming him for not allowing drilling while thousands of leases go unused, or for stopping a certain form of drilling until a good mechanism for stopping spills just after the biggest spill in history, is planned and ready to impliment, is stupid and unproductive. You need to understand the real problem if you want to change things. Imagine your driving your vette. You satrt hearing a loud squeel every time you hit your barkes. your buddy tells you you need to change the oil. You do so and the squeeling is still there. You failed to identify the true problem so you fixed nothing. It is the same with our high oil prices. Lets not change the oil to fix bad breaks.
:agree::thumbsup::cheers:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah speculative buying is complete bull$hit, I agree with that whole heartedly. And I will consume, its not my fault I worked my ass off and spent 4 years at the south hudson institute of technology so I would be well off....er wait... :) all in all...I thi:thumbsup:nk we will be ok.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

The real problem is the out of control speculation on commodities. This increases the price of everything by up to 60%, just to put some extra cash in the pockets of the assholes at AIG and Goldman Sacks. You realy want to blame Obama for something???? Blame him for not putting a stop to these assholes. Blame him for bailing these assholes out. Blame him for having the very people who designed these rippoffs of the american people on his staff. But blaming him for not allowing drilling while thousands of leases go unused, or for stopping a certain form of drilling until a good mechanism for stopping spills just after the biggest spill in history, is planned and ready to impliment, is stupid and unproductive. You need to understand the real problem if you want to change things. Imagine your driving your vette. You satrt hearing a loud squeel every time you hit your barkes. your buddy tells you you need to change the oil. You do so and the squeeling is still there. You failed to identify the true problem so you fixed nothing. It is the same with our high oil prices. Lets not change the oil to fix bad brakes.

:agree:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe some of you guys can inform me why the price of oil (along with virtually every other commodity) is down. Could it be that Japan's catastrophe will free up demands on supplies in the near future ? I read a few guys talking about gold... and their predictions that it will rise substantially in the near future. Keep in mind the reason it's off it's highs by nearly $500 has near nothing to do with speculation... same as oil. The reason gold is off it's highs is due to the US dollar increasing in value against the Yen and there is no substantial demand for it. There are concerns world wide, of a double dip recession... lowering the danger of inflation. Gold is primarily a inflationary hedge.

What do you believe the outcome will be if Japan defaults on it's debt ? This is a very real possibility, especially if their reactors fail. How do you rebuild when your primary ability to create wealth has been decimated... ie. manufacturing ? It's going to take them months if not years to rebuild. All commodities will decrease in demand during this time... due to the very same.

Now... if oil prices are falling due to an expected decrease in demand on the supply... would not the exact opposite be true and reason for an increase in price ? That is to say... if the leader of a nation championed and proclaimed it was going to produce less... then, went through with the proclamation, would you not expect to see an increase in price due to the supply being reduced... regardless if there was sufficient supply ? Keeping in mind, Bush stated "we are going to allow for more drilling" -how fast the prices dropped. Apparently to some... it does not work the other way.

You don't have to take my word for it... listen to any economist from the right or the left, as to why prices are falling.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

The average day American wants gas prices to go down, but the average American isnt willing to be more responsible. I would argue driving a car by yourself for the majority of the cars life (even if its a really good MPG car) is irresponsible. Americans CONSUME, and not just fuel but everything and its a serious problem (Just look at the overweight and

obesity charts for our states). It doesnt matter if we drilled

until we are blue in the face...the problem isnt the prices,
or the lack of internal energy sources, its that our population is growing and consuming more and more. I think the biggest problem is that this earth has limited supplies of everything...but the consumer mindset is bound by nothing.

Lower consumption ??

Are you kidding me ????

Figure out New ideas for energy ??

That's like saying you need to cut your Nuts off so you won't be tempted to commit Adultery

Fuel Fuels the Economy Dude,

And the current fuel prices reflect the major oil Corps and their Speculators Hedging their Bets at the NYSE

Also don't forget you have many elderly, Handicapped and one parent family's out there trying to make ends meet

Wages are Low and Unemployment is High

And the Scum suckers over at the NYSE are playing Roulette with peoples lives and Livelihoods

And the Government is sitting there with one finger up their Ass and one up their nose watching all this happen,

Just like they did during the Savings and Loan Scam and every other problem that Degrades Amercia and its people

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Maybe some of you guys can inform me why the price of oil (along with virtually every other commodity) is down. Could it be that Japan's catastrophe will free up demands on supplies in the near future ? I read a few guys talking about gold... and their predictions that it will rise substantially in the near future. Keep in mind the reason it's off it's highs by nearly $500 has near nothing to do with speculation... same as oil. The reason gold is off it's highs is due to the US dollar increasing in value against the Yen and there is no substantial demand for it. There are concerns world wide, of a double dip recession... lowering the danger of inflation. Gold is primarily a inflationary hedge.

What do you believe the outcome will be if Japan defaults on it's debt ? This is a very real possibility, especially if their reactors fail. How do you rebuild when your primary ability to create wealth has been decimated... ie. manufacturing ? It's going to take them months if not years to rebuild. All commodities will decrease in demand during this time... due to the very same.

Now... if oil prices are falling due to an expected decrease in demand on the supply... would not the exact opposite be true and reason for an increase in price ? That is to say... if the leader of a nation championed and proclaimed it was going to produce less... then, went through with the proclamation, would you not expect to see an increase in price due to the supply being reduced... regardless if there was sufficient supply ? Keeping in mind, Bush stated "we are going to allow for more drilling" -how fast the prices dropped. Apparently to some... it does not work the other way.

You don't have to take my word for it... listen to any economist from the right or the left, as to why prices are falling.
Could you try to ask less than 30 different questions in abtract backassward paragraphs....

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Brother... stop that. Don't allow "them" to make you feel bad for your successes. You go right on ahead and consume as much as you can muster. It matters not to the planet, as we inhabit less then 2% of it's total surface. As some point, thousands of years from now... it will spit us out. No amount of conservation will stop or prolong this from happening. Take a look at Japan or Pompey.... or any other natural disaster. Do you truly believe the planet gives two shits if you recycle or drive a hybrid ?

Go right on ahead, bro... it's OK.
Probably the best thing I have read wrt to energy consumption or the ****ing green hybrid crap here. Until we idiots blow ourselves up or a meteorite destroys us, this little rock called Earth will not care how many MPG u got or how many plastic bottles you recycled. It will keep churning away regardless until Mother Nature decides.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could you try to ask less than 30 different questions in abtract backassward paragraphs....
Given the fact that you are consistently proven incorrect in seemingly every espousal you make... I shall take that as a compliment.

Your support and agreement of others writings and thoughts... is like the intellectual kiss of death -and the surest sign that they are incorrect in there assumptions. A man of your stature and IQ... should have a small and low voice, too. Many times in your espousal's, you have shown to have the intellect of three men. It is too bad, they are Larry, Moe and Curly.

Now, when you read the above statements and quotes... I'm not stating that you lack intellect, Dune. I'm stating that I believe you are possessed... by a retarded ghost.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
If we are talking cars USA with half the cost of gas is way ahead
of Europe when it comes too electric cars (I am in that field of work) , and naturalgas powered cars .
Yeah, not autos.
They are ahead with Green Energy applications across the board for energy grid use or small applications like home use, design.

This gives them an edge with the speed of advances in design, development and application.

Although I really dont see how we are ahead of them with auto applcations, if you include Dalmier AG.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts

Then how do you explain the huge jump in oil prices that we suffered 2005-2006, when Bush was firmly in control and drilling baby drilling.

The point isn't that supply and demand is totaly out the window...it is that out of control speculation uses even the sllightest hint of good or bad to distort the market. This makes the historic use of the commodities futures market as an insurance hedge against price fluctuation, usesless and even more dangerous for the people it was intended for. The people who have to buy these commodities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts