Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting, I thought when skyscrapers burned for more than 2 hours, they collapsed.. :huh:

Updated Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07pm AEDT
Flames engulf Shanghai high-rise

Firefighters try to extinguish a fire in a 30-storey residential building in Shanghai. (Reuters)

Fire has engulfed a Shanghai high-rise, killing at least eight people and sending billowing plumes of black smoke over the city, state media and officials said.

The 30-storey building in the city's Jingan district was under renovation when it caught fire about 2:00 pm (local time), Xinhua news agency said, quoting witnesses who said they had seen people jumping from windows to escape.

Construction scaffolding surrounding the building initially caught fire, spreading to the building itself.

At least eight people died in the fire, said Xinmin.cn, a government-run web portal.

A Shanghai fire department official declined to comment.

More than 10 fire engines were at the scene trying to extinguish the fire, Xinhua said.

Dozens of people were sent to the Jingan District Hospital, a hospital official said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/15/3067109.htm

·
Registered
446 Posts
unfortunately the death count is far more than 8.I'm not sure but if your referring to the trade center collapsing while this did not,I think I can explain.Hundreds of gallons of JET FUEL burns much hotter and intensely than wooden scaffolding.Sorry but being present and witnessing 9/11 as a member of the F.D.N.Y. this is a sore spot for me.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately the death count is far more than 8.I'm not sure but if your referring to the trade center collapsing while this did not,I think I can explain.Hundreds of gallons of JET FUEL burns much hotter and intensely than wooden scaffolding.Sorry but being present and witnessing 9/11 as a member of the F.D.N.Y. this is a sore spot for me.
I bet this one burned pretty hot.. no collapse. :huh:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I agree. I have read every conspiracy theory website on the internet. To put it bluntly, they are all full of ****. There is an old saying in science - The simplest solution to a question is probably the correct solution. All of the conspiracies require many people, including government insiders, to do their jobs and keep their mouths shut. This is pretty much impossible. The simplest answer is that 19 guys flew planes into buildings and the combination of the impact of a full sized jetliner and thousands of gallons of fuel caused all of the damage.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I have read every conspiracy theory website on the internet. To put it bluntly, they are all full of ****. There is an old saying in science - The simplest solution to a question is probably the correct solution. All of the conspiracies require many people, including government insiders, to do their jobs and keep their mouths shut. This is pretty much impossible. The simplest answer is that 19 guys flew planes into buildings and the combination of the impact of a full sized jetliner and thousands of gallons of fuel caused all of the damage.
Really? So, jet fuel, which burns in open air at 550F can melt steel, with a melting point of 2800f? :laughing:

This column sure "snapped" clean... :lookinup:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Really? So, jet fuel, which burns in open air at 550F can melt steel, with a melting point of 2800f? :laughing:

It can't melt steel, it makes steel weaker like how a black smith can bend red hot steel by hand.

Also what was the building in china made of? If it was made of concrete like most new building are today then it would be very difficult for it to collapse from fire.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

How do we know it was snapped? Could it be the end of the original beam? Every beam has two cut ends on it before the building collapses. These pieces of "evidence" are very weak.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can't melt steel, it makes steel weaker like how a black smith can bend red hot steel by hand.

Also what was the building in china made of? If it was made of concrete like most new building are today then it would be very difficult for it to collapse from fire.
Other than the 3 buildings at ground zero, fire has never caused a steel frame, high rise building to collapse. :huh:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Other than the 3 buildings at ground zero, fire has never caused a steel frame, high rise building to collapse. :huh:
It is a factor of the heat of the fire weakening the steel. All steel buildings have fire-proofing on the steel to protect it from the heat of a fire.

In the instance of the Twin Towers, the fire proofing of the steel was blown off by the impact of the planes. The steel in the impact areas weakened and collapsed first, taking the rest of the building with it...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a factor of the heat of the fire weakening the steel. All steel buildings have fire-proofing on the steel to protect it from the heat of a fire.

In the instance of the Twin Towers, the fire proofing of the steel was blown off by the impact of the planes. The steel in the impact areas weakened and collapsed first, taking the rest of the building with it...
So, what was burning at 1500 degrees, 3 months later? :huh:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Well, I don't have a report of all the fires that ever occurred in steel buildings so I can't argue that one. But just recently a steel girder bridge collapsed after a tanker truck caught fire underneath it.

Of course I'm no expert on how that bridge was built but if it's like the steel overpass bridges here in NJ then it is made of a several long simply supported I beams spaced 4-6 ft apart with a cast in place concrete deck on top. I-beams are not as efficient for long spans as trusses (like the ones in the WTC) but they do withstand fires better than lighter weight trusses, if a substancial bridge could collapse from a fire like this would you be willing to consider that such a fire could have caused the trusses of the WTC to fail?

here is the link
http://jalopnik.com/5316090/detroit-i+75-bridge-collapse-mega+gallery

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Sure there was nothing flamable in any of the buildings that fell and compacted on each other, :rolleyes:also did any of the fires that you state didn't fall have very large airplanes slammed into them?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if a substancial bridge could collapse from a fire like this would you be willing to consider that such a fire could have caused the trusses of the WTC to fail?

I haven't seen anything that suggests, the jet fuel, papers, furniture, etc, could burn at a temperature sufficient to cause these 2 buildings to fall into their own footprint. And continue to burn for nearly 3 months, at such a high temperature. :huh:

Sure there was nothing flamable in any of the buildings that fell and compacted on each other, :rolleyes:also did any of the fires that you state didn't fall have very large airplanes slammed into them?
What plane hit the 47 story building 7? :huh:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many high rises have been hit by large aircraft?

So what are you insinuating??
I am insinuating that the truth has not been told. I am insinuating that jet fuel would flash-burn much like kerosene or gasoline and that the majority would have burned off in a short time, and that the buildings should have been able to survive that burn.

Sure, I am crazy... :laughing: But what about the thousands of engineers, architects, etc. that say No Way? :huh:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
How many high rises have been hit by large aircraft?

So what are you insinuating??

A few have, the empire state building had a B-25 bomber crash into in the 1940's

The empire state building did not collapse, buildings of the 1930's tended to be more substantial than buildings of the late 60's, it was a different kind of steel construction that did not make extensive use of light steel trusses and long unsupported spans on all floors, the airplane was smaller and the plane did not manage to cut though the entire building.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Sure, I am crazy... :laughing: But what about the thousands of engineers, architects, etc. that say No Way? :huh:
I doubt that number is in the thousands. Dozens or scores maybe. But I have seen too many engineers and architects interviewed who say the conspiracy scenarios are complete bunk. I have no idea what the percentages are, but typically if one percent buy into the conspiracy theory, they make more noise than the other 99%, so their voice is magnified.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts