Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of buying some R rated track tires, and am intent on keeping the stock staggered wheel set up (18X8.5 and 19X10). It seems the only track tires you can get in these sizes are Hoosier R6's and Toyo R888s.

The Toyos are DOT approved which is important because I will be driving back and forth to the HPDE events.

Anybody have any experience with these tires yet? I'd love to hear before I take the plunge because they aren't cheap. Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On order

Tires are coming this week...so I guess I'll be the first to give my own feedback.

·
Registered
138 Posts
R888 are great

Got them on my 2001 and do some hot laps at Daytona and Sebring.
Plenty of grip for DOT's and very little if any side wall roll under hard G's.
As good as the F1's as far as I'm concerned. my 2001 has 383 SB and 456 hp, 6 in a row, :thumbsup: geared w/ 373's. So I'd say you'll enjoy the Toyo's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

I ran them this weekend at Pocono and came away very impressed...these are definitely racing tires. They gave excellent feedback and stuck very well. I drove them to and from the track, showcasing their flexibility for those of us without trailers, and had comparable ride and road noise to the stock run flats.

Once they got warmed up though there was no comparison to stock. At speeds in excess of 100mph i could feel almost every inch of push in the front end, and I could stick or pull the rear around at will. Every lap I was going faster and faster, trying to find the limit (which I did a few times.)

They look like they wear pretty quickly, as expected for this type compound, but also come with 6/32 of tread unshaven to begin with. For guys like me (intermediate) no need to shave...use the first few events to work up to the tires performance. Plus some of the wear is probably my driving, a little aggressive with the tail wagging quite a bit....(need more finesse but its hard not to get agressive when your chewing up the Porsches.)

And they can be used in the rain, because of the tread pattern versus some of the traditional non-treaded track tires.

Overall, I would reccomend them to someone who likes the HPDE events, but only does a handful a year, doesn't want to buy a trailer, doesn't want to have 3 sets of tires around (street, dry track, wet track), who likes the stock stagger wheel sizes and who wants a street/track combo tire. You won't be dissappointed in the Toyos.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great review and the price comparison for the bang?

Thought you'd agree with me. Great tire that does the job for both street and race.
Spiceman...........you are in agreement right.LOL:partyon:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts