Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AP - Monday November 15, 2010, 4:39 am EST
WENDOVER, Utah (AP) -- Police suspect problems with a Toyota Camry's accelerator or floor mat caused a Utah crash that left two people dead and two others injured.

Highway Patrol Sgt. Nathan Croft told the Salt Lake Tribune that 66-year-old Paul Vanalfen's 2008 Camry slammed into a rock wall in Wendover on Nov. 5, killing him and 38-year-old Charlene Lloyd, his son's fiancee. Police said Vanalfen died at the scene, and Lloyd, who had been critically injured, died the following day.

Vanalfen's wife, Shirlene, 61, and son, Cameron, 34, were treated and released for injuries at Salt Lake's University of Utah Hospital, said spokeswoman Cathy Wilets. She didn't have details on their treatments or conditions.

Shirlene Vanalfen, of Washington Terrace, Utah, told the paper Saturday that the family is considering litigation, but declined further comment.

Tire skid marks at the crash site showed Vanalfen tried to stop the Camry as it exited Interstate 80, but the car went through an intersection before hitting the wall, Croft said Saturday. The Camry's brakes appeared to be in working order, he said.

Toyota Motor Corp. has recently recalled millions of vehicles because of floor mats that can snag gas pedals or accelerators that can sometimes stick. Hundreds of lawsuits were filed against Toyota after the automaker began issuing the worldwide recalls.

Croft told the newspapers that Vanalfen's Camry was subject to at least three recalls, one mandatory and two voluntary. The mandatory recall and repair, for a sticking accelerator, had been completed, he said.

He said authorities are continuing to investigate whether the recalls and repairs for a short accelerator pad and a sticky floor mat were also completed.

Croft said investigators' suspect that one of those problems caused the crash.

"We can't say definitely, but there is a strong likelihood that that in fact did cause the crash," Croft told the newspaper.

Toyota told The Associated Press that it was "supporting the Utah Highway Patrol with their investigation."

"Toyota sympathizes with the friends and family of Paul Vanalfen," Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Paul Nolasco in Tokyo said Monday.

Nolasco said he did not have details on whether the Camry underwent any fixes under its recall. He said it was premature to draw any conclusions with the investigation ongoing.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has received about 3,000 reports of sudden acceleration from Toyota drivers in the past decade, including 93 deaths. The government, however, has confirmed only four deaths from one crash.

In September, Toyota settled a lawsuit for an undisclosed amount with the relatives of four people killed when a driver was unable to stop a runaway Lexus in August 2009

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I predict Toyota will determine it was driver's error.
I predict a judge/jury will disagree. The skid marks are a giveaway that the guy tried to hit the brakes. Since it was not an emergency stopping situation, its highly unlikely that the driver initially hit both pedals.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I predict a judge/jury will disagree. The skid marks are a giveaway that the guy tried to hit the brakes. Since it was not an emergency stopping situation, its highly unlikely that the driver initially hit both pedals.
double post somehow

my bad

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Looks like this was about as much of an emergency stop as any to me. :laughing:

He could have been speeding on the ramp....
He could have hit both pedals....
He could have been showing off his driving skills to his future daughter in law....

Who knows?

On a side note.....
Who here still owns a late model Toyota Camry? :lookinup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Looks like this was about as much of an emergency stop as any to me. :laughing:

He could have been speeding on the ramp....article says he tried slowing down then proceeded completely through the intersection and into a wall. That seems like a very long stopping distance from highway speeds.
He could have hit both pedals....Its possible, but slowing down on an off ramp is a very standard procedure. It only would have become an emergancy situation if he applied the brake normally and the gas pedal stuck. Most people press both pedals when they must suddenly stop due to another car or other object. (Dont say the wall, its not like it came out of nowhere. :laughing: )
He could have been showing off his driving skills to his future daughter in law.... In a late model camry? :crazy::laughing:

Who knows?

On a side note.....
Who here still owns a late model Toyota Camry? :lookinup:

They are death traps. Why doesnt Toyota have a break override on all electric throttle bodies? Its just common engineering sense.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
They are death traps. Why doesnt Toyota have a break override on all electric throttle bodies? Its just common engineering sense.
I'm not disagreeing with you....just pointing out some arguments. :thumbsup:

You think idiots don't drive Camry's like race cars?
The wall didn't jump out of no where? Neither do telephone poles, trees, parked cars, buildings....but people run in to them all the time. :laughing:

Yes...IMO late model Camry's are death traps. :agree:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you....just pointing out some arguments. :thumbsup:

You think idiots don't drive Camry's like race cars?
The wall didn't jump out of no where? Neither do telephone poles, trees, parked cars, buildings....but people run in to them all the time. :laughing:

Yes...IMO late model Camry's are death traps. :agree:
:laughing:

People do drive camry's like their stock car counterpart. :smack

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Ya know in the 5 days since this artical was published 615 people have died in auto accidents and over 25,000 people were injured. I bet ya anything that of those thousands of crashes there is probably a few hundred toyotas that crashed in the past 5 days and this one accident a Police Sargent says he thinks it was due to a faulty accelerator pedal....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts