Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on my 91 L98 TPI. Sometimes the car don't start (driven infrequently) and I want to know at a glance if I got fuel pressure. I wanted the gauge to be visible from the drivers side, and not interfere with removing the valve covers. ended up with a small sheet-metal bracket attached to the back of the smog pump. Adel clamp to hold the gauge. used -3AN teflon Speed-flex hose (covered with heat shrink). there is ample clearance at the throttle body linkage, doesn't interfere with WOT. I found it easier to run the hose from the fuel rail rearwards towards the distributor, across in front of the distributor and then frontward under the plenum and popping out under the throttle body. the 90* fitting just barely clears the MAP sensor and the vacuum hoses. I raised the MAP sensor by about 1/32" for clearance between the rubber angle hose and the fuel AN fitting, probably gonna go in and fabricate a sheet metal spacer instead of the quick-and-dirty washers. had to go with the non-swivel fitting at the rail, because the AN swivel fitting sticks out a little further. Used the readily available aluminum adapter that goes from the Schrader valve stem to 1/8" NPT (ebay I think), with a 90* -3AN adapter on top of that. had to remove the vacuum nipples from the plenum to thread that AN 90* adapter into the aluminum Schrader adapter. Made very sure that everything is tight, and the hose assembly with the brass ferrules was good. can't have no fuel leaks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@autowiz
I guess that's the modern way to do it. Actually I have one of the Autometer electronic fuel pressure gauges: stepper motor, with sending unit. Was going to put it into my Grand National, but then sold the GN and kept the gauge, still sitting in the closet. I dread running wires into the cockpit on these modern cars (30 yrs old now). Using the electronic gauge was a passing thought, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts