Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I have a question, I just installed a 90-92 Speed density set-up on my 82 and I'm getting a jerky/ sluggish sensation at high speeds at normal acceleration - almost no pressure on the throttle. It's something coming from the engine area...if I accelerate it goes away until I let off the gas again. It does have a slight miss that I can't seem to figure out.

Here are some specs

1. 1990 - 1992 5.7 Speed Density set-up

2. Rebuilt computer and custom Chip, set to stock 1990 Camaro specs but deleted Vats and smog.

3. New TPI in- tank pump, filter, and remanufactured stock 22lb injectors.

4. All new gaskets and engine sensors, map, oxygen, TPS, etc...no old sensor was re-used.

5. Custom labeled TPI harness

6. New distributor, wires, cap, plugs and rotor. Timed 6 degrees BTDC

This miss and sluggish hesitation / jerking started after I swapped to TPI. I didn't have this problem with a carburator....that's why I think it has something to do with the TPI.

Another possibilty is maybe my TV cable is misadjusted or the pressure solenoids in the tranny to operate lock-up are N.O. instead of normally closed ...I did change those. I'm not sure how they would act if reversed.

Please help, has anyone else experienced this with thier stock set-up? Open to any ideas!

Thanks again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
501 Posts
went thru this last year abt this time on a tPi c0nversion...after much swearing and parts swapping, finally found his problem...looked just like the part in your pic -- the ALTERNATOR...ran fine with old carb/ HEI, charging rate was super...just also was secretly pumping out too much ''ripple'' in its output...switched over to ''newer'' style cs-130 and no problem.

concerned abt those pretty yellow spark plug wires...solid core wires will generate EMI and confuse the ign module in the distrib and the ecm...even carbon ''supression core'' plug wires may experience ''induction firing'' (aka transformer effect) when plug wires run parallel to each other -- cylinders 4-8 and 5-7 are particularly sensitive to this --wires should be as far apart as possible and arranged to cross each other rather than be parallel (unless you have a show-only car that doesn't even have pistons in it)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts